Did this Base booster box just sell for $50k?

Am I missing something?

www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Pokemon-Base-Set-Unlimited-Booster-Box/283892905082?hash=item421955f47a:g:Sn4AAOSwnHBff4eW

Doubt it. Theres alot of fuckery going on with booster box bids and sales lately.

2 Likes

@pokehut1,
I guess the buyer couldn’t tell the difference between this and a 1st edition probably.

Logan forgot to mention that… oops.

1 Like

Looks like it got relisted: www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Pokemon-Base-Set-Unlimited-Booster-Box/284040558872?hash=item422222f918:g:Sn4AAOSwnHBff4eW

@goonhoon ,
lmao!

@collector91 ,
Ah, makes sense. Buyer probably bought it thinking it was 1st edition but cancelled after finding out his mistake.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, I kind of want this to be true haha, but probably within the next couple of years unless we find that fabled mountain of booster boxes that everyone says exists.

@collector91,
With Logan Paul selling 1st ed packs at $11k a pop ($396k for the box totally), I could see the price of the 1st ed base booster box edging its way up to $400k within a year. Before anyone mentions, I am aware he was selling packs way over market price, but psychologically I think it still matters.

If 1st ed Base booster box gets to $400k, Base Unlimited should be about $40k at least.

All hypothetical, whole market could crash into a depression any moment. I think we will experience a kind of ‘roaring 1920’s’ in the markets though before.

Too much artificial hype from big names at the moment (logan, gary vee, mrbeast). Lots of “investors” getting in only for the money and that is going to inflate prices for the wrong reasons. The rug will get pulled out eventually, just have to hope the original base haven’t been priced out and moved on.

1 Like

Anyone that has been around longer than me in the hobby (started in 2018 and regret not getting 5 boxes back then), has there been a big dip or depression before in the hobby? (Honest question, not sure about it either way).

Was it preceded by a huge spike like this?

Fail to realize with sealed product, who cares who opens it, supply is going down down down. Rug most likely will not be “pulled” from sealed.

1 Like

I may eat my words, but those people have so much excitement in their day-to-day lives that I don’t foresee their interest in Pokemon lasting very long. Specially when most of them are interested in the value-only.

I can only imagine when they stop seeing $$$ and showing interest, a lot of the massive gains they’ve accomplished will dissipate just as quickly.

Just a PSA to everyone (and as mentioned by pokehut): Just because the sold filter on ebay has something listed in green, doesn’t mean it actually sold. If it something with multiple bids, it is legit (though it doesn’t necessarily mean someone paid). But for any case of buy it now, or best offer accepted, it does not mean it sold unfortunately. It is supposed to mean that, and usually is, but I have firsthand accounts of it happening way too often. Very glitchy. Among many, I asked the lucky owner of that PSA 10 Chansey what he took for his offer accepted below 35k, and he responded saying he just took down the listing. Yet it not only said sold, but best offer accepted. Just something to keep in mind.