Did Logan's Charizard once fail to cross to BGS Pristine?

This is a bit of an interesting situation. BGS have Tweeted a high-res image of the pristine Charizard Logan Paul was wearing around his neck during the fight.

Based on the holofoil pattern this is almost a perfect match with the PSA 10 copy Gary sold to Logan back in October last year:

Here is a link to that video if anyone wants to watch it.

Things now get a bit interesting though, because in January 2020 there was a video uploaded to LeonHart’s channel featuring Gary and this PSA 10 Charizard. The purpose of the video was to hopefully cross some PSA 10 cards over to Beckett 10 grades.

Here is a segment about the very same PSA 10 Charizard Logan Paul bought from Gary:

It failed to meet the minimum grade to cross over to a BGS 10 grade, and in Leon’s own words: “We were not going to change them to a Beckett case unless they came back pristine.”

I don’t have much of an opinion on this other than to say that if this is the same card - which I believe it is - I feel quite sorry for Gary for having tried and failed to cross this over to a BGS Pristine grade already. Does this put into question BGS’s grading standards, or were they simply too harsh on the card when Gary tried to cross it in the first place?

For the record, this isn’t my discovery and is something a few of us have been talking about on a Pokémon Discord server for most of the day.

25 Likes

Nat Turner said only a few days ago that PSA is super cautious about crossing BGS to PSA 10 in case grader doesn’t notice something until card out out of the case. I’m sure it’s the same with BGS looking at PSA cards. Logan may have cracked this one instead of plain review.

I sent a super strong PSA 9 gold star to BGS with a requested minimum 9.5 grade for cross, got the same paper slip highlighting imperfections back and card uncrossed. Cracked it (how I miss the days when I was capable of cracking cases) and resent to BGS and got 9.5.

24 Likes

@qwachansey yeah for sure, once you’ve cracked it out of its case you’ve passed the point of no return. It’d have been very costly for BGS to have got it wrong I imagine.

I find it very interesting that on the slip 2 of the corners are circled yet it was the edges which ultimately scored the 9.5 which prevented it from being a black label.

2 Likes

Yeah very interesting situation. I have a hard time believing a company with that type of prominence wouldn’t document a card of that caliber coming in for review, which would also lead me to wonder about how it came to be that it was crossed to a BGS 10 during a later attempt. Was it submitted by Logan himself? Did BGS know Logan was the owner of the card? I for one am very curious to find that out.

Man, wonder how Gary feels now about this? Knowing he had that 3rd Pristine in his hands at one point, then he sold that one particular copy off to Logan Paul, who then graded it the Pristine 10.

I know Gary was looking for this card for a while, somewhat surprising Logan may have never told him he had it after how tight they claimed to be.

2 Likes

Perhaps pretty good if he can now justifiably claim to have only sought out the strongest PSA 10s and his remaining copies are the best of PSA.

4 Likes

Lol yeah didn’t Gary say he only sold his weaker 10s?

Has the BGS pop report been 3 for Pristine 10 for awhile now? If it was already pop 3 before Paul bought the PSA 10 from Gary, then he didn’t crack the PSA 10 to cross grade to BGS 10, he bought it or had it the whole time.

2 Likes

I just read in the content creator thread- someone stated that Logan graded it himself.

1 Like

Logan’s video was published on 14th October 2020 and from BGS’s card lookup the card was graded with BGS on 7th October, however from Gary’s Instagram feed Logan was at Gary’s house a couple of weeks earlier on 24th September which - based on similar content in Logan’s video - is when the sale occurred.

The video actually focusses on Gary saying that he’d never sell one of his BGS copies even for $300,000, to which he then acquires the PSA 10 copy for $150,000. It also places emphasis on BGS 10 being a better grade than PSA 10.

The chance of the holofoil pattern lining up so well on two separate cards is very rare and tends to only happen on cards positioned next to one another on the same sheet (which isn’t the case with this Charizard). For Logan to accidentally stumble upon two different Charizard cards with such similar holofoil patterns is incredibly unlikely.

1 Like

I enjoy the detective work.
Just more evidence of the arbitrariness of grading, especially when you get to these gem mint+ grades.

15 Likes

The main give-away for me was the holofoil pattern within Charizard’s flame, but even if we ignore this there are so many other points on the holofoil which line up perfectly:

7 Likes

Binder master race doesn’t give a fk, maybe it’s time to store your microscopes and reconsider that these huge price differences in GrAdInG are bullsht

40 Likes

Are the BGS certificate numbers chronologically assigned?

If so, it can’t be the copy from Gary. I’m looking at my Beckett dashboard and certs 127xxxxx were graded in January 2021. This card (cert #12549323) must have been graded mid last year? way before Gary sold him the Zard.

Edit: Looks like the card was graded in October. When was the last time LP featured the PSA 10 copy in his videos/images?

BGS show grade dates on their pop report - it was graded on 7th October. Logan bought the card <= 24th September, giving a 2 week window for the card to be graded.

1 Like

Just saw the date. Does anyone know the last time LP featured the PSA 10 copy in his videos/images?

@superactivesnorlax see my post here: www.elitefourum.com/t/did-logans-charizard-once-fail-to-cross-to-bgs-pristine/32873/10.

Logan’s video was released on 14th October but towards the end of the video it shows them playing Barbie Dream House as a way of making Gary feel less bad about selling the card. Gary shared a picture of the event on Instagram on 24th September:

It’s without a doubt the same card in my mind.

It’s not about the money. It’s about sending a message.

SPOILER: Click to show

{Spoiler}

6 Likes

Who hurt you

10 Likes

preach king

1 Like