Custom made graded card box prototype. Thoughts?

Hi guys,

A couple of months ago I found myself thinking that despite being safe the traditional sleeve, bubble wrap, cardboard packaging method is somewhat of a disservice to our beloved collectibles. I know it seems somewhat insignificant, but I compared it to buying a bottle of 20 year old whisky and have it handed to you in a walmart plastic bag. It serves its purpose, but ruins the experience.

As a collector, I believe graded pokemon cards being both a luxury item and a nostalgic collectible should be packaged in a way that doesn’t detract from their visual appeal and if possible provides the recipient with a ‘christmas morning’ feeling when opening their pokemail.

Additionally, I wanted to simplify the shipping and packaging process in a way that would allow me to just slide the cards inside a box and into an envelope within seconds without compromising their safety in transit.

So, upon reflecting on the above, I went ahead and had these made:

And this is how they look with a card:

At first I was a bit split between the ‘drawer box’ and the ‘magnetic flap’, but am glad to have gone with the magnetic flap version as I am able to use it both as a box for shipping cards and as a frame for displaying them (the drawer version would have a tiny ribbon at the bottom that would prevent it from holding upright). This is the first iteration, so it is definitely open to improvement but so far, I am quite pleased with the results.

Do you think my idea is trying to serve a need that isn’t there in the first place, or does it present a reasonable alternative to current packaging methods? Are there any additional features that you believe would make it better?

Would love to hear eryone’s thoughts and feedback. :blush:

10 Likes

Wow cool idea. It looks great just to put them on display like that too. However, I’m not sure many ebay buyers are going to be looking for extra cost to ship their items. Most just throw them in a bubble mailer and call it a day.

1 Like

Absolutely brilliant stuff! I’ve been thinking the same for a while, it would be great to have something like this to ship cards. I can totally see people wanting something like this for their crème de la crème cards.

1 Like

1 Like

i use these for framing: www.ebay.com/itm/35-Graded-Sport-Cards-Collectible-Card-Display-Case-Wall-Cabinet-98-UV-Locks/233574455502?var=533247903664 , but i would love an option to buy displays for single cards or for sets of 3

2 Likes

I’m surprised no one has stepped up to mass produce different frames for slabs so we can display 1, 3, 4, 6, 10, 20 etc

In the UK I can’t find anything

1 Like

@shinycards, Actually in the UK we are quite lucky. Wilko sells some amazing looking frames that are great to display Pokemon cards, and they’re really cheap:

www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-6-multi-aperture-black-photo-frame-16-x-16-inch/p/0436366

I use them to display my cards as they come in 6 and 3 aperture versions so they are great for Japanese promo sets or Base Set trios.

Make the back wall mountable and you have something there

1 Like

Interesting thanks :blush: I was just there the other day. It says it’s been discontinued on the website but will have another look next time I’m in

1 Like