Covid-19/Corona Virus Megathread (Info/Discussion)

Since we are getting a load of threads discussing this we thought it’d be a good idea to have a Megathread relating to the virus.
This is not a thread for discussion how it relates to and effects anything to do with collecting Pokemon cards.

We will do our best to share important links as well.

**Things to discuss/share here:**Information regarding the tracking of the virus and how it is spreading
Measures taken by you or your countries governments in relation to the outbreak
Cancellation of public events (sports, concerts, tournaments)
Work place shutdowns/quarantines

**Things NOT to discuss/share here:**Social media screenshots/tweets/posts of peoples opinions on the virus
Pseudo-scientific claims of cures or preventative techniques
NO POLITICAL DISCUSSION*

*If a World Leader makes a speech in regards to a border shutdown etc, then the effects of what they are making a speech about can be discussed.

Links:

Johns Hopkins University Tracking Map
W.H.O Official Website

6 Likes

My Hospital has 2 weeks of masks and gloves left and our regional warehouse and manufacturer are out.

… it’s also nearly out of toilet paper.

1 Like

This dashboard could help: gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

It shows a realtime count of confirmed cases / # of people recovered and affected countries.

AT.

1 Like

On the death announcements they always say that the person who died had an underlying health problem.

It’s estimated over 60% of the entire world population has an underlying health problem. Why bother mentioning it? When it only eases 40% fears?

1 Like

Yeah man that link is already in the OP, but thanks!

Watching this months Sumo tournament with no crowd at the event has been very strange, no reactions to competitive matches or impressive moves. A lot of the competitors have said it feels like a training session at times.

It turns out I cannot read! My bad - great that people know it though! :blush:

Some stuff from sports I follow:

• Formula 1 Australian GP was fully cancelled after McLaren’s team member was diagnosed with corona and the team withdrew themselves from the GP, Bahrain to run without spectators if it runs but no official information if Bahrain will go forward. It’s supposed to be next weekend…
  • MotoGP has cancelled and / or postponed various races. Season to start in May (it was supposed to start last weekend in Qatar).
  • Rest of the ski jumping world cup season 2019-2020 competitions are cancelled, ski flying World championship event postponed to 2021.
  • IMSA Sebring 12 hours that was supposed to happen in the end of March has been moved to November because European drivers can’t even travel to the US
  • IndyCar’s first race of the year will go on this weekend but without spectators
  • IndyCar & IMSA Long Beach weekend in April is either postponed or cancelled
  • WRC rally Mexico is running normally atm, but rally Argentina that was supposed to happen in April is postponed
  • Brazilian motorsport series StockCar won’t allow international drivers to enter their races, the first race was supposed to have many invitational drivers from around the World but they aren’t allowed to join now and the race will now go on with Brazilians only.

This situation really sucks. I hope we are getting past this asap…

Most ski resorts in Europe have closed or are closing early. Unfortunately I had a holiday booked to Austria :slightly_frowning_face:
I believe french resorts are still open for now!

Premier league Suspended!
Don’t be a liverpool fan we have the worst luck…

2 Likes

First 4 races of the F1 season now suspended/postponed. Season may not start until end of May now(and potentially further beyond)

1 Like

My University closes down until the end of march, lessons will be given on Skype where possible.They are discussing if they should continue giving classes next summer (Which would suck as I already planned my holiday…)

Although universities are closing down for the rest of the month, all other schools (primary, middle, etc.) are to be kept open as of now

www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-us-shutdowns-working-home-132600753.html

Meanwhile, somewhere in the UK.

9 Likes

www.ndr.de/nachrichten/info/Coronavirus-Update-Die-Podcast-Folgen-als-Skript,podcastcoronavirus102.html

These are transcripts from a podcast with the head of the virology department in Berlin, Google Translate makes these readable for everyone.
A great listen for German people - a science journalist asks relevant questions, as opposed to press conferences where half the questions are not relevant or have been answered already. Some of the most calm and factual information out there.

Quebec has just shut down all schools and universities for two weeks at minimum. I am honestly surprised that my university in Ontario is not shut down yet.

All publicly funded schools in Toronto are off 2 weeks!

1 Like

Sports have closed.

Also, four cases just popped up in the city I live in.

Frick.

My work just announced that non-essential employees need to prep for working from home. IT is considered non-essential, but there was a big asterisk next to the statement saying IT is not included haha

Looks like I’m still going to work

We’ve got Hotels here in Argentina and also Apts. in the US for rent in certain Touristic areas. Economic wise the amount of money we are about to lose is huge. We are already thinking about firing people and this is just the start, the Tourism area is getting a huge impact. (Talking about what’s actually damaging us big time).

We’ve got over +600 nights canceled so far in our Argentinians Hotel and several more pending cancellation. Currently all our hotels are around %40 cappacity when the avg of this month should be over 80%.