Confirmed: PSA will recognise Base 2000 [Update 2021]

Will it happen?

I know some people on e4 have sent their Base 2000 cards in to PSA for submission - with a note acknowledging the 1999-2000 copyright date -, but to no avail with having any change.

It’s a unique scenario - especially with pricing, as how does one place value on a set which a great many people don’t even know about? Regardless of whether its a niche product or not: it’s rather tricky due the fact that eBay couldn’t - or even shouldn’t - be used to gauge it’s value. If the 1999-2000 run was the shortest - which seems possibly the case - and that the 1999-2000 packs didn’t necessarily contain 1999-2000 holograph cards (as some contained solely 1999 cards) - it be safe to assume that the 1999-2000 holograph cards are the rarest WOTC Pokemon cards - even more so than 1st edition and Shadowless - if the print runs had the same quantity of packs made, for example - as even I (if I were to use myself as an independent sample) haven’t met a lot of people who have these cards in the UK.

Naturally, it would cost PSA to label all the Base 2000’s that are presently categorised as unlimited - unless they simply charge extra for the privilege of doing so ~

Much praise has to go to @styluspt , for his brilliant thread on Base 2000 :blush:

All comments are welcomed.

3 Likes

That wouldn’t happen.

They would just have a disclaimer in the pop report saying some prints/variations weren’t recognised at the time they were graded.

2 Likes

Nope I don’t think they will, they seem incapable of learning to be honest

6 Likes

Reasons to recognize the variant:

1. They already recognize the pack variant which has a clear and obvious distinguishable characteristic.
  2. The cards have a clear and obvious distinguishing characteristic from “regular” base unlimited.
  3. The boxes do too.
  4. Dozens of people have requested it and pointed it out in submission forms.
  5. They’ve graded other cards/sets on way less information/distinguishable characteristics.
  6. Financial incentive as 1,000+ cards labeled currently as base set would be sent back in to get the proper designation.

Reason to not:

1. Incompetence.

Don’t underestimate the power of #7.

18 Likes

The reason that I don’t think this print run will ever reach anywhere near the price and demand of 1st ed/shadowless, despite it’s rarity, is the fact it’s just a slight difference in the text at the bottom. There isn’t any noticeable difference in the print at all unless you really look up close.

With shadowless there’s a clear difference in the colouring of the card which makes it much more visually appealing IMO. Some clear examples are Venusaur, Nidoking and Gyarados. From a collectors point of view I think this makes them more desirable.

This also makes it less noticeable on platforms such as eBay, as many collectors wouldn’t notice any difference on the imaging on an eBay listing thumbnail, whereas they would with shadowless/1st ed. Combined with how much more publicity 1st ed/shadowless gets, this print run just has far less exposure overall.

It come with benefits however, as it means I’ve picked up quite a few 4th print cards for close to unlimited base set prices due to lack of competition.

2 Likes

Theres are definite colour differences between unlimited and 1999-2000

3 Likes

There are slight differences, but even in real life they aren’t particularly noticeable.

I had a 4th print PSA 10 mewtwo and a base PSA 10 mewtwo in my collection. I compared them side by side, and there wasn’t much of a difference. I then put my shadowless mewtwo next to them and it clearly stood out amongst the 3.

Thinking about this on a thumbnail when scrolling through eBay. Those who know about the print run would notice it from the title, but those who didn’t may just think the title is a slightly more detailed description of a standard base set card.

2 Likes

I agree that the 1999/2000 set never will reach the popularity of 1st edition/shadowless base and that these are more different from regular unlimited cards.

However, the difference in the print between regular unlimited and 1999/2000 is actually very noticeable if you have them side by side in person. The 1999/2000 print is more pale in its coloring. My original binder collection of base set was a mixture of the two, and it was very easy to spot which cards belonged to which print run at a glance.

If PSA recognized this variant I think it would motivate a lot of people to collect a graded holo set. This would likely drive up the prices since these cards are not that easy to find.

1 Like

In magic PSA distinguish Alpha and Beta, and the difference is on the corner cut on the cards… I mean is not even on the card layout/text/image.

I think they will recognize it in the long run, when the hobby matures a bit more. However PSA tends to be stubborn and doesn’t like much change and adapting xD

From my experience the Holos are scarce however only after a pop control that only cert numbers can provide, can we understand and compare the real rarity of all Base Set variants

1 Like

Not really.

Yes it should.

I am all for PSA recognizing and labeling the variant, but don’t become to base 2000 what btoise is to shadowless. Whether or not it is more scarce is pure speculation and even if it was it still wouldn’t command base 1st prices due to the lack of demand in a similar relation of shadowless to base 1st.

1 Like

hahahahaha this is awesome

It wouldn’t be a question of Unlimited being less desirable but how much a handful of collectors would pay for the 1999-2000 print.

1 Like

My short answer, I think it will happen eventually. The old saying goes “the squeaky wheel gets the grease”. I hope as more and more people continue to bring it to psa’s attention it will eventually bring results.

2 Likes

A message I received yesterday from PSA:

"Good Afternoon,

Thank you for contacting PSA Customer Service.

PSA is accepting more sets and we may acknowledge the Pokemon line you are inquiring about at a future date.

Keep an eye out for announcements and emails in the future.

If you have any additional questions, please contact PSA customer service by email at info@psacard.com or call us directly at 800-325-1121.

Thank you,

Philip
PSA Customer Service"

1 Like

Lol…I got the same exact reply years ago regarding the base shadowless machamp😮

2 Likes

Lol…I got the same exact reply years ago regarding the base shadowless machamp😮
Personally, I wouldn’t hold my breath though after I found many mixed in with the others, I wouldn’t mind. They aren’t a big deal but if PSA considered the reholdering/label value, maybe they’ll take your money:)

1 Like

If recognized they don’t have to become more valuable than first edition or shadowless, but it would be nice to see them surpass unlimited in value. Also it would be nice for collectors of Base 2000 to have it noted on their cards. How do you think PSA would lable it, Base 2000 or UK 4th print?

1 Like

All they would have to do is change the date from 1999 to 2000. It would be such a simple solution but their lack of Pokémon expertise really delays any such change.

2 Likes

6 Likes

This is where anyone and everyone with complete sets sends there pictures to this man to get this approved!! I’ve been waiting 2 years for this and it’s so close!

Mjisaacs

2 Likes