Clever, interesting/unique pokemon cards for under $160

Abareru-kun 320/SM-P (lottery) promo

5000 given out during a lottery. I think its still under $160. At the time on release it was super cheap. Very cool gag card promo, Abareru-kun is famous in Japan for being a comedian and also known for being a host at the pokenchi show.

more info:

www.pokeguardian.com/500625_card-of-the-week-abareru-kun-320-sm-p-promo

6 Likes

I’ve become totally obsessed with Worlds promo cards like Tropical Wind, Tropical Tidal Wave, Tropical Beach and Champions Festival. In my eyes they have everything: cool story and history, great art, limited release, from impossible to find to quite easy to obtain!

Many English and Japanese cards fall within your budget although they are getting harder to find. Most of the non English/Japanese like German, French, Italian, Portuguese and Korean you can find for $20-50 and still have the same art and stamp :blush:.

1 Like

The more I look at this card the less I’m sure about how I would rank it. I think overall I’d give it an A-. with an A+ tier overall design and feel (some gold stars and e series holos would fit in the S tier in that category for me), with the sparkly morning bubbled up environment espeon finds herself in; and the added aesthetic the crosshatch holo adds that I personally haven’t seen much of and the deep purple; all these factors that give the card a really consistent feel of wow this card just screams Espeon. The character artwork though I’d put at a B+ though and I don’t really know why. Ofc this is all my very subjective opinion, just thought I’d throw out there why I like this card. The national championship cards are neat to be able to collect. Like an attempt at a budget friendly trophy collection for broke people like me. :blush: Obviously I know it will never compare in status, but its still something with real significance and a limited amount that will ever be available.

Edit: also this is more nit picky I guess but I like how the stamps match the color scheme of the artwork on the espeon and flareon.

4 Likes

Personally really like some of the Japanese Tag Team GX Cards, especially the 3 trainers with the starters in them (Red, Green, Blue).

Carddass is where it’s at !!

4 Likes

A great card with a rather interesting release. Tropical Winds and other similar cards are usually only given out to participants at worlds, but this version was given to anyone who just attended Worlds in 2004. I can’t recommend it enough.

7 Likes

I’ve never seen this card before and the art is stunning. I’m buying it now with or without eBay bucks. I can’t believe I’ve never seen it. I love the mudkip in the water.

2 Likes

Just bought one for $92, wow! I love mudkip!!

2 Likes

Ancient Origins Gyarados XY Promo is still pretty affordable:

And then Steam Siege 1st Place League Volcarona is also easily purchasable, just don’t see to many too often:

6 Likes

How much have they gone up??? I bought the whole set of 1st-4th place for $10 in July

Good to hear you enjoy it!

@nish last couple of sets have sold for around $30 to $40. Buying the whole set is still possible due to one seller specifically, but I’ve seen people trying to sell them separately for some crazy prices when they’ve been cheaper in the past. I missed the opportunity when you could buy a 1st Place for only $5 bucks at the beginning of the summer.

@mitty,an extremely cheap evolution line is Dratini, Dragonair, Drogonite holos from the Dragon Vault series (and the entire set for that matter)! The holos are gorgeous & the set size reminds me of the Southern Islands cards (although totally different style/theme).

1 Like

Every Secret Rare alternate art full art Tag Team GX from Tag All Stars is under $160 (individually not combined). They are stunning in person, truly nothing else like them in Pokemon.

Tricky to capture the texture and quality not in person, but there are also several with Eeveelutions.

10 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. This is peak modern IMO.

2 Likes

Shimbuya pikachu

Love the espeon and deoxys card! Really tempted to jump on the english one now. Thanks lmfao

1 Like

Didn’t even know this set existed. The dragonair is so nice!

What are these called?

1 Like

@trevcatchem,

Promo Trainers Magazine V19

www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Dragonite-Dratini-PSA-10-018-T-Trainers-Magazine-Vol-19-Promo-Gem-Mint/313273335506?hash=item48f08bbed2:g:sYgAAOSwtllfruDX

1 Like