Cleaning holos from tough fingerprints/smudges?

Anybody got any tips for removing persistent fingerprints/smudges? This card arrived here pretty nasty, slightly smelly and with loads of fingerprints. I already went over it carefully with a Q-tip and distilled water and did have some success, but I guess I need some mild chemicals to get rid of the residual oils - without destroying the card, obviously.

What I’m primarily referring to are the areas inside the red circles. I guess it kinda looks like scratches on these pics, but not so much in person. Additional question: is the “cloudiness” around the tail end and lower back normal or also some kind of smudge?

Thank you in advance!

Have you tried your own saliva? I’ve had some success in the past cleaning cards.

Assuming you are in fact serious, wouldn’t that just result in even more stains from said saliva? Unless your saliva is super watery and perfectly clear, I guess.

Has anyone tried thin watery solutions with grease-dissolving detergent on cards? After all, they’re made to remove oils. But I’m a bit worried that they might affect the ink, too.

I think I’ve read Windex works, and it worked with getting gross mystery smudges off of a DMG card I bought from my LGS, but I didn’t try it on the holo portion.

I should note that you put the Windex on the Qtip and then use that to wipe, you don’t spray the card directly with windex.

1 Like

Never had a problem with it before. But I wouldn’t do it if I’ve just eaten or drank something sugary obviously.

1 Like