Championship Arena price?

So, I bought a small lot on eBay recently (from a person that I’ve been buying from for several months who has some very minty, mostly late WotC/early EX-era, set cards). I’m sorting through a pricing the cards I didn’t need for sets, and I found this:

i.imgur.com/OyIfiLY.jpgI

I don’t collect promos so I had just sorted this with the other promos but I realized this one might be a bit unique when I couldn’t find anything price on TCGPlayer for this. So what is the going price for one of these? I saw that a PSA 5 sold on PWCC for ~$800. Mine might be less than a 5, though. It’s flawless except for small bend marks on two corners:

So basically my questions are: I’m assuming this card’s legit? And what’s this worth in the condition? There’s so little sales data that I can’t figure this out. I’d like to sell it since I only collect set cards, but I don’t know what to price it at.

2 Likes

Normally a small bend like that will take you automatically to at least a 6. Could be lower if it’s worse than it seems in the photo. Are you looking to get it graded before selling?

I would say 1-1.5k to the right buyer

I’d be happy to get it graded if it would make it worth more or easier to sell. I figured it would be just as good to sell it raw because of the condition, which is usually the case for set cards. But maybe things are different for rarer promo cards like this?

Here’s a photo of the back, btw:

Probably a PSA 9/10 except for the bend marks :sob:. They are pretty subtle (not really full-on creases), but definitely there. And yeah, a PSA 5-6 was my guess.

That’s pretty great! I think I’ll list it at the higher end of that range with the best offer option and see what interest it gets.

I bought one a couple months ago with the booklet for $1700. Card is in good condition and lacking the tell-tale pressure mark (or if there is one it is so faiint that I cant see it XD)

Probably why they went so high? If it doesn’t have the pressure marks so it’ll grade higher :blush:

How much value does the booklet typically add? And do you agree with the $1k-$1.5k evaluation given earlier in the thread?

I bought mines sight unseen. It was not advertised as being pressure mark-less. I looked at the way it sat in the booklet and how good condition the booklet was in and decided it was worth thee gamble. A PSA 9 recently sold for 3k if im not mistaken. I would say if it has a very small pressure mark and the rest is flawless, 1600-1700 with booklet seems fair. If the pressure mark is more obvious, then it goes down from there. Either way, the card is decently undervalued and if you arent getting an offer of at least $1500, you should just keep it. To me the booklet is worth $200.

Yeah, they are pretty light marks and it’s definitely PSA 9/10 quality absent the pressure marks. How rare is the card exactly? I was trying to find how many participants there were in the tournament, but I can’t find that info. Is it 100 copies rare? 500 copies rare? Or 2000 copies rare? And what makes it undervalued, in your opinion? As I said, I only collect set cards, so it’s a bit tough for me to evaluate the card.

Thanks so much for your input!

These were slipped under the doors of the hotel rooms of competitors. They were not rewarded to competitors based on advancement within the tournament itself like their japanese holographic siblings. If you can dig into how many hotels/ rooms were distributed/ participated, that might lead to a good guesstimate. Was anyone on E4 among those in attendance?

2 Likes

434 players in 2005. Each player was supposed to get a copy although it is reported that most of them ended up in garbage cans and under the wrong doors. (Players thought it was just an informational pamphlet rather than a reward and many threw it away. Same with people who incorrectly got it under their door) Honestly its impossible to tell now how many are left around. I would guess in the neighbourhood of 100 are still in circulation but that is purely a guess.

4 Likes

Here’s an article charlie did that gives a good overview of the card and its history: www.ludkinscollectables.com/blog/the-wild-ride-of-the-english-championship-arena. No one can say for sure how many copies exist, but going off of the pop report I think its safe to assume less than 500 exist with good probability that it’s quite a bit lower than that.

2 Likes

Yikes. What a lucky find. Maybe I will keep it. I can definitely see the appeal with the rarity factor and the Celebi/Mew art.

1 Like

That would be wise if you don’t need the money rn. There’s about 4 affordable copies on eBay. If they all sell and the market dries up for awhile fomo could kick in and push the price up. This happened to Master’s Scroll, a card that’s around a similar rarity but higher demand. But no guarantee it will happen though.

1 Like

Hotel rewards from that time were awarded by gym challenges if im not mistaken. basically a qualifier that was open and lead directly to worlds. I believe every state got one. Then Regionals fed into worlds as well, i think regionals didnt come with hotel but with travel vouchers for nats. but i think regionals could qualify for worlds. then nationals could also qualify for worlds and get hotel.
So overall id estimate the pop to be around 200ish from the US, then you have the internationals which at that time was a similar structure outside of japan.

The fact the TPCI decided it was a good idea to slip them under the door along with the fact that they were in pamphlets means that of the ones that actually survived, a lot of them have that bend in the corner that yours has (making it very hard to get a PSA 10 or even 9 grade).

1 Like

Something to note as well is that some of the 10’s and 9’s that do exist have corner indents. I know of two 10’s that have some amount of it as well as many 9’s.

2 Likes

Really? That’s nuts. Must be old certs, because I can’t imagine them letting that slide now. Unless they grade the card less harshly because of how common the error is, but they obviously don’t for other cards with endemic errors (i.e., T17 print lines).

1 Like

Both new and old have misgrades that I have seen. I even sent mine in for review and it was still deemed a 9 with a small corner indent so they may just grade this card differently, I am not entirely sure.

1 Like