CGC Certifies Extremely Rare "Disco" Test Print Charizard

Do we have any understanding as to why CGC were willing to grade this card (square cut)?

publicity?

Its a very bad look when they’re rejecting other square cuts to turn around and accept this because it would benefit them

Well, this is kind of a unique scenario.

Every card before now that we would refer to as “square cut” was a regular card that had been cut by a third party from an uncut sheet. In this case, the uncut sheet would have been the actual collectible and the square cut card is just a piece of it. Therefore it is not gradable for the same reason a fourth of a regular trading card would not be gradable.

Although the same concept applies here, and is something that turned a lot of people off from the card, this has the added weight of being a test print. There was a question of whether or not the card was even authentically produced by WotC, regardless of the condition that it’s in. Since CGC was willing to provide that authentication, grading it as well is probably just a compulsive conclusion to that process.

Since regular cards would never have any need to be authenticated or evaluated to the level CGC was willing to examine this card, there’s no reason they’d ever grade them. But CGC is willing to put their name on obscure or complex authentications as part of their business model, so this fits with that intention.

2 Likes

They’ve only declined to grade square-cuts of otherwise regular cards. The Charizard is a test print, and my understanding is that they grade all test prints that can be verified as coming from authentic sheets (regardless of if the card can be verified as factory-cut or not). At least this is the rationale I’ve seen given by prominent members of the MTG misprint community.

4 Likes

I see the masterball badge, so it’s obtainable by mortals?

Discozard. I like it!

Were they base set? Years ago someone cut up sheets of base sets (square corners) and sealed them in cellophane and sold them as factory

8 Likes

Was going to say the same thing. I believe @KingPokemon knew the person who did it or was at least around when it happened.

2 Likes

That is omega cringe

2 Likes

Yeah, I remember seeing a video of the guy flicking through massive stacks of them.

I’ve seen a few sold throughout the years and people never seem to know the back story and assume/are told they are factory and pay way too much for them.

3 Likes

If they were Base set, unfortunately they were not legitimate, which is why CGC wouldn’t grade them after taking them out of the cello.

1 Like

Just stumbled upon the Donkey Kong card game (Japanese 1999) and these holo cards also seem to have the disco holo. Fun fact I guess :slight_smile:
Link to an opening:

DK cards to the moon

2 Likes

oooo this is a cool find