CGC Certifies Extremely Rare "Disco" Test Print Charizard

I’d like to take the under. Realistically I’d bet that the seller cancels the auction before the eBay fees become guaranteed from his end for early cancellation, due to the price not climbing to what he wants (realistically or unrealistically).

I don’t wanna be a negative annoying guy over here, but this card just doesn’t do it for me. I like uncut sheets, but once a rando removes the card from the uncut sheets, that singular card loses all its luster in my opinion.

13 Likes

Agreed. These types of cards were made for Heritage/Goldin/PWCC. Don’t think random seller on ebay was the right way to go

1 Like

This isn’t negative, its a fair observation. Its why for most of trading card history, sheet cut cards weren’t graded, and/or considered altered. No matter how nimble individuals mental gymnastics, the item is inherently manipulated post production.

12 Likes

Also, you have to pick it up from Wichita, Kansas. They won’t ship it. Lmao.

9 Likes

Enhancing the buying experience with a no expense paid mandatory trip to Kansas. Bold strategy…I’m sure it pays off :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

You’d have to pay me $15k to go to Witchita :blush:

1 Like

https://y.yarn.co/30180e20-1d73-4445-8cf0-a64bb7177716_text.gif

9 Likes

It always amazes me how they manage to take such crappy photos when selling a high value card. Feels like rushed and unprofessional.

2 Likes

Just answering my own question, but it went for $15,600. Which seems suprisingly low to me for a pop 1 test print chorizo, but they didn’t exactly set themselves up for success.

Always to my surprise, there isn’t really a very competitive appetite for prototypes in Pokémon. This is distinct from other hobbies like action figures where prototypes are the crown jewel of the culture.

It still went for $16k, which is more than my car costs. So it’s not like people weren’t willing to pay huge money for it. But I agree with you that given what it is I anticipated a much higher sale price. This is lower than many actual Base Set Charizard.

And lower than PSA 10 japanese no rarity zard. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I think the sale is surprisingly high for the reasons stated above by myself and others. The minute that the card is removed from the uncut sheet in an inorganic way (not in an officially WOTC sanctioned way, but rather removed by a private collector) it loses much of its luster and allure imo. Buyer probably got caught up in the hype and I wouldn’t be surprised if this re-sells for sub $5k in 8 months.

6 Likes

Huh, I thought it’d go for more than 16k considering how much a 1st ed goes for. Either way, prototype cards are hella cool I love this kinda thing. Maybe Heritage should have been the way to go instead of ebay?

I agree with this - it’s hard not to see this poor card as anything other than the butchered remains of something that was once far more interesting.

3 Likes

omfg i didnt see that its local pickup only too. 16k + travel. what a strange auction…

Exactly! I think the seller only offering pick up only deterred potential bidders. If I were interested I wouldn’t have time to go pick it up.

2 Likes

im imagining what itd be like explaining to my boss why i cant make it to work :joy:

I think it hurts that the later 1999 date on TCA gaming’s sheet confirms these were more of testing out holo patterns, maybe for Rocket/Base 2, than a “prototype” of the Base Holo pattern. The Proto Blastoise have sold very high, so I think there is demand for those kind of genuine proto cards.

In any case, someone messaged me recently asking what I would pay for a similar Chansey, seemingly implying they had one; I wasn’t really sure. I said around $5k which I felt was fair but it was not high enough for them. The Charizard sold for about what I expected given how many are on an individual sheet.

8 Likes

Also with protostoise the holo was in line with the mtg sets at the time. Where these are just some generic holo pattern.

I’m in the same boat as well with Blastoise or Mewtwo. I’d be interested in buying both, but Charizard just created the ceiling for them imo.

1 Like