Cards where Pokemon look malevolent or malicious? Post your favorites!

I realized that I particularly enjoy cards where the pokemon is depicted in a more “malevolent/malicious/eerie” way.

Not blatantly angry, not aggressive like you could expect from its species (for example a tyranitar or gyarados defending their territories).
Just, intentionally and subtly malevolent.

I bet a lot of your favorites will be from ‘Dark’ Pokemon, but post other sets too! It could even be just some personal over interpretation of the card, or a feeling that you simply had seeing the artwork.
Also, what is that Pokemon thinking in your opinion?

I’ll post my favorites

An unbelievably intelligent 5000 iq creature enslaved by some 10 yrs old boy, that use it to perform some ridiculous and circus-like tasks like “teleport me to the ice cream shop”, “can you make me fly lmao” or beating up some weak caterpie.
Well this Alakazam is more pissed off than its ‘Dark’ counterpart lol.

It seem playful at first, almost cute and surely innocent. Then you soon realize that something it’s wrong and there’s no way you can see what’s in espeon mind. It was luring and tricking you. It doesn’t care for humans: It needs to sustain itself and doesn’t know any better than consuming your soul.

A suffering and desperate creature, trying to escape from some kind of illegal laboratory. Its melted and poisonous body is unsuitable to live properly without constantly absorbing tons of organic matter. If it was still a grimer it would have spared you… but now it’s another story.

It reminds me of bio-broly, for who is familiar with the dragonball movie.

18 Likes

I think the Kings of Creepiness are Kusajima, Komiya, and Masago:

Major fan of artworks like this. I’m a big horror fan and love eerie artwork and themes.

19 Likes

Man, I love that Gyarados. Look how engorged with power it is, how arrogant it became after it absorbed Holon power.
When it was a simple Gyarados it was blinded by rage, but now it’s way smarter, mischievous and dangerous. It also uses its new powers to bully the crap out other pokemon, i’m sure.

3 Likes

If you’re a Relicanth, this is your worst nightmare. The last thing you see before those creaking claws get to work, before he Mega Drains you.

14 Likes

This Ninetales art just hits different from usual. I definitely get a sense that it’s ready to start something sinister. I love it!

11 Likes

Metagross looks like it’s on a rampage and you caught its eye. It’s joever for you.

Sharpedo is enraged and hungry, you are its next meal.

I love this Froslass, obviously for its aesthetic appeal, color palette and use of light, but you can imagine being in the setting. Froslass is in her lair walking amongst her victims/trophies. The handsome men she froze solid and brought back to her dwelling. Maybe you stumbled upon it and she is just noticing you? Maybe you too are frozen and she is admiring you? Who knows……

10 Likes

Rocket’s Mewtwo is the epitome of malevolent to me. He’s not angry, just calmly standing there, staring, musing on how exactly he’s going to rip you apart.

Sceptile has that air of contempt in its eyes. It might crush you with its tail, or it might turn its back and ignore you. 50/50 chance you’re dead here.

Just look at Scizor. It’s majestic. It’s hunting. And something’s dying tonight.

7 Likes

Here’s one off the top of my head that I discovered on E4 recently. (Masago’s Alakazam above, which looks like it was lifted straight from a horror movie, was another example that I immediately thought of)

Grimer is often depicted as derpy but this card shows a not-often-seen menacing side of the poisonous blob!

6 Likes

12 Likes

10 Likes

Hypno from Aquapolis - it looks like he’s creeping around a neighbourhood, hypnotizing people and eating their dreams, pretty menacing
Aquapolis Hypno

12 Likes

Great topic! Should have some fun replies.

Porygon is really up to something, or has it already done the deed.

I am choosing this image of Slugma, but if you look at most of Slugma cards, they all look like it is trying to hypnotize you with its eyes.

Cheers!

8 Likes
  1. Infestation
  2. Oppression
  3. Possession

11 Likes

7 Likes

I’m surprised you didn’t post the Masago Gyarados. That one’s definitely up there aswell

12 Likes

Kimiya Masago did a great job with that menacing feeling.

9 Likes

It’s more cross-eyed and shrimpy than any other adjective.

3 Likes

I bet you wouldn’t dare say that to its face

2 Likes

I am allergic to shellfish

3 Likes

This Hitmonlee … why??? well, there’s a Pokémon dying behind him … I think it’s a Mankey. I can’t recognize it …

Dark Slowbro and Masaki Gengar are others I reminded while reading the question.

8 Likes