Bumping up your submission grades??

I’m sure (almost) everyone knows it is… but I said that it is much more subjective than people realize it to be. Same goes for it being MUCH more inconsistent and error prone than they realize or than most would admit as well.

Which company is more consistent?

BCCG. They always give you exactly what you want. :rofl: :laughing:

But seriously I’ve not graded with BGS enough to have any say towards that end of it as I assume your question is one of a PSA vs BGS thing though I don’t think BGS was brought up anywhere in this thread.

PSA is very consistent overall and leads the Pokemon hobby for sure. I am not saying they are bad or morons or anything. I’m just saying they are worse in some ways than you’d be led to believe by them (obviously and can’t blame them for that) or even by many of their larger stockholders including some on this forum. As far as this forum goes I am probably one of the larger stockholders though on a larger scale I’m a very small fish. I benefit financially from their image being pristine but still I call attention to issues that I see and speak freely about them even if it doesn’t align with what may be best for my wallet.

TLDR: I was mainly trying to call attention to the fact that it is troubling to me personally that something like OP is given credence and further more wacky theories/submission tactics to intentionally and deceptively inflate grades are alluded to while some valid albeit overblown issues are called conspiracy theories.

Edit: spelling

2 Likes

I asked “who does it better” as everyone is a critic, but no one actually does anything better.

Why something like this tactic isn’t shot down as a conspiracy is because it’s more reasonable. It’s simply a potential human oversight that can occur for any human.

Where conspiracies such as: switching out cards, purposely damaging cards, reusing cert numbers, etc. are unreasonable and ridiculous.

1 Like

Solid point. BGS has definitely gotten a bit more popular in the time that I’ve been in the hobby but PSA has gotten exponentially more popular as well so I can’t even say if BGS has gained market share or not. Hard to say. Long term obviously the market will show which it prefers and it seems pretty stuck on the message of PSA>BGS currently although some major cards have shown that BGS 9.5 > PSA 9 and BGS 10 > PSA 10 so that will always tempt a few people into those crossovers. Again those are only on the major cards and great bargains can still be had on BGS 9.5 auctions from time to time. We also know PSA 9 > BGS 9 as BGS consistency seems to slip at lower grades.

To me it definitely seems reasonable that something like this could happen and so I agree there. But is it something people should really strive for? Should it be talked about so openly and again given credence as a valid thing to do? To me its a bit hypocritical given some opinions on things such as regrading/reviewing.

It obvious you intentionally picked out the most ludicrous of all conspiracies here. I agree at all those being unreasonable and ridiculous. But I guess I may give a bit more validity to some that others do not namely the number of graders reviewing each card and the extent to which accidental damage happens vs. what most would classify as pre-grading oversight.

PSA is a great company and I credit them for getting me involved in the hobby as much as I am, but they certainly have their flaws. Some are just inherent with human grading (unavoidable) and others are not. I don’t see why it requires a better company to exist or why I have to be the person to “do it better” to be a critic (unsure which interpretation you meant in your post).

I like PSA a lot so it bothers me when they screw up or when they may take shortcuts sacrificing quality for throughput. So I like to complain in this little bubble on the Internet and hold them to account for their mistakes in some small way.

2 Likes

What I said is in defense of all baseless criticism for all grading companies. People just like to complain. More specifically, people like to virtue signal that they would somehow be better, yet the people complaining don’t have any experience running a grading company, or any actual business that size. This is why I said, “what is the actual better option”? To put the focus that no one is actually doing anything better and these petty complaints aren’t a big deal. Most importantly, this is 100% a choice. If people don’t like PSA, BGS, or whoever, don’t use them. Or even better, if people think they can do a better job, start a grading company!

4 Likes

Remember folks, PSA does it better than you so don’t criticize anything they do and never complain. It couldn’t possibly have any basis in reality since you’re a measly peasant with no corporate management experience. How dare you attempt to devalue my millions in PSA stock with your petty words and abrupt anomaly references.

Manipulating a grader is wrong but only if you attempt it with each card once.

Some times I dream of sheep. Other times I am the sheep. I really don’t like being the sheep.

Food for thought from a language based on other languages that got twisted and turned through a long game of telephone.

Don’t @ me.

2 Likes

This is the exact type of comment I was referring to. How does this help the hobby? What constructive aspect can any collector take from this?

If this is a shot at me, Gary, PSA, or anyone who actually helps the hobby, my question for people who love to criticize: what do you do for the hobby?

No one is saying PSA is perfect. I literally said in my latest video how I would make plenty of changes at PSA, if that were an option. What I and most seasoned collectors are tired of are the same nonconstructive complaints. Especially when no other company is even competing right now.

1 Like

Amen!!! Preach!!

What do I do for the hobby?
I’ll answer that since I’ve openly criticized PSA (for good reason imo.)
I inject tens of thousands in capital into it, I share the nostalgic artwork and my passion for it with those interested, and I tell people I know in person about it even if they aren’t necessarily collectors.
That said, it’s not my mission in life to strengthen the Pokemon hobby. I’m not going to always speak for its strengths when weaknesses might exist. It’s not a cult or a religion to me.
It seems like this conversation is all about money.

1 Like

You are missing the point he is trying to make…

I gathered that it was about wasted energy by complaining hyperbolically.

Rather than complain, I actually solve problems when they occur.

I own 0 PSA stock. This isn’t about the money, it’s about maturity.

I completely understand. I might not be acknowledging every point being made and I might have made a cheeky comment but I do understand.

The topic was about manipulating a grader into giving a card the highest possible grade by putting the cards in a certain order.
I don’t think it’s much different than sending a card in twice or more.

I’m grateful we have problem solvers like you, Scott, that devote their time so we can appreciate the hobby further. I’m not trying to make this about you and to clarify, I meant PSA card inventory, not literal stock.

To the collector, make sure you buy the card and not only the third party opinion. Hopefully it’ll save you from making a public complaint based on disappointment and frustration with an imperfect grading company.

6 Likes

Damn this got way out of hand from what i was originally asking lol

1 Like

A body of typed words does not explain the extent of my understanding.

2 Likes

Attach a $50 note to the back of the card you’re grading.

Should help.

7 Likes

Yes it did. Sorry about that.

I do think the order of the cards can matter. Should it matter in a perfect world? No.

1 Like

For a statement like this to be made by one of the kings of the hobby and be endorsed or “liked” by another king of the hobby is just troubling to me.

To insinuate that a simple “trick” or short list of “tricks of the trade” could shake the market to its core and cost certain members an “advantage” or edge in the game… I mean… Seriously…?? I respect the shit out of what you do for the hobby @KingPokemon and the cards that I’ve been able to add to my collection from you and what this hobby is today likely due to all your legwork the past 20 years but what is this post? I mean seriously. What is it?

I really like to think its an overly vague and overblown and unrealistic thing that amounts to nothing overall in the actual effect upon your grade results but the way you are trying to portray it is that it actually helps you? I mean why would you want that thought out there? In most of your posts you condemn things like regrading for the negative effect it has in regards to an overgrading aspect then you essentially advocate for or confirm the reality of something like this?

9 Likes