Binder Storage

Hi Everyone,

After some extensive research on E4 and other forums, I know an overwhelming majority of people prefer ringless binders (Ultra Pro Pro Binders) or store cards using top loaders/card savers.

Currently, I’m using a 2-inch D-ring binder for my collection, but I don’t know if I should store them vertically or lay it down flat. I don’t want to switch to pro binders and prefer the D-ring binders for the flexibility of adding/removing binder pages. I kept the binder standing vertically, but noticed the binder pages started to sag and bend the bottom cards. However, I’m worried if I lay the binder flat, the weight will damage or bend the bottom pages of cards. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I always stored cards in 3 ring binders, but after a while realized that those types would always cause bending back when I was a kid. I switched to binders that sat flat (I never stored cards upright so I have no idea how that would affect cards but I’d be worried about the pulled weight). I always laid my binders down on the back and never had any issues after double sleeving my cards.

After several years trying different binder types, I made my peace with Legion’s Dragon Hide 4 card binder for my favorite collection.

It showcases the cards really well and the binder keeps them inside with a tight yet comfortable fit:

The only problem I had was that, when I bought it new, it would bend slightly due to how firm the binder is:

However, this issue was solved after a little bit of manual bending back and forth.

And now all the cards sit comfortably.

Highly recommend. I’ve gone through multiple binders over the years, but this one stands above the rest for me.

3 Likes

I love the Legion Dragon Hide binders as well. They look great and offer the best protection.

1 Like

For 3 ring binders as long as all pages are flat there can’t be any damage to the cards inside. It’s when the pages sit on the rings thats the problem. If you have the money go with the ringless, and if not then just do it slowly.

I just bought my first ringless binder and swapped over a bunch of cards. I think the D ring binders are fine if your careful but there is always that chance a page gets caught and you dont realize and close the binder and bend your cards. I have kids who like to look through the binders and sometimes they can be rougher than I would like them to be so I figure the ringless binder is a good solution and gives me piece of mind.

2 Likes

Sometimes I like keeping cheaper cards in 3 rings because that’s how I did it as a kid. So, there’s a but of nostalgia behind it but at the end of the day I prefer the much better quality binders we have on the market today. I’ve heard great things about the legion binders but my personal favorite are Dex protection binders. I’ve never held a better quality binder before and dat velvet interior though.

1 Like

Can’t forget dat Saffiano exterior too!!!
Dex Protection and Dragon hide IMO are the best of the best. Personally, I use Dex 12 pockets for all my binder sets and Dex 9 pockets for my high end singles.

3 Likes

My personal favorite is the Zipfolio Xenoskin 4 pocket or 9 pocket. It’s fantastic protection and the cards look great inside. Highly recommended. I’ll always be a binder collector at heart. So many memories as a kid.

2 Likes

I use the 9 pocket, I have a quad row too which was a gift but I don’t like turning the pages on that one, the 9 pocket feels way better.

1 Like

Dex Pro are by far my favorite, a little expensive but quality in my eyes.

@hyperbop The invention of the ringless binder is a direct result of the damage that occurs from D-ring binders.

From my experience, I had most sets stored in the 2” WOTC brand Snorlax binders… and unfortunately the holos at the front of the binders became badly damaged. I had some binders laid flat and some vertical and it didn’t seem like either way was safe to me. When laid flat the top page popped up over the ring and bent the cards and when vertical the pages sagged and curved the cards. So around 08 or 09 I started switching to ringless binders and haven’t had an issue since.

1 Like

I just bought this for 12.99.

It should be fine…

1 Like