Beckett to PSA Conversions

What do you guys think a BGS 9 with centering 10, edge 8.5, corners 9, and surfaces 9 will grade in PSA? Should I leave it in the case or should I break the case before I sent it to the PSA?

What are your experiences with cross-grading? Which is better BGS 8 vs PSA 8? BGS 9 vs PSA 9?

Thanks

Sounds like it would be a PSA 9 or 8. Hard to say without pics.

BGS’ grades can be more inconsistent than PSA so I’d prefer the PSA grade over the BGS unless it’s a BGS 10.

2 Likes

Impossible to tell with no picture. Even then, it’s hard to determine possible grades from a few photos.

That being said, BGS to PSA cross-grading is notoriously difficult. PSA cards, aside from BGS 10, will usually hold and appreciate more consistently in value because it’s generally the preferred grading service in Pokemon.

Others may have had different experiences but PSA usually gives at least one grade lower than BGS in a crossover if you don’t set a minimum.

Sweet! Thanks for your help! @jj1 @patriotsfan117

It’ll depends upon the grader/how bad the 8.5 edge is. That’s the only thing that could make it an 8 grade, otherwise it’ll be a 9. It also depends upon how you send. If you put a minimum grade you’ll accept they will be harsher on it. It doesn’t matter if you crack it or not, if you’re sending with other orders I’d crack it as you wouldn’t need multiple summission forums.

PSA 10>BGS 9.5
PSA 9>BGS 9
PSA 8>BGS 8
Etc…

Edit to clearify: by better I assume you mean a generally higher quality card.

Yes, this is very close to what I’ve found also especially with BGS cards graded after 2003.

IMO, BGS sub-grades get really inconsistent below 9.0; 8.5 edges could easily be bad enough to make it a PSA 8.

What’s a minimum grade for someone yet to send to PSA?

It’s the section that PSA has to prevent a card from being encapsilated/crossed over, if it doesn’t meet the lowest PSA grade someone’s willing to accept.

Ohh, okay. So let’s say I have a BGS 9.5 and the lowest grade I’d be willing to accept is a PSA 9 I can specify that and then if they deem it an 8 they’ll keep it encapsulated in the BGS case instead? Or do they still break the case and instead return it with nothing? (assuming you haven’t broken the BGS case)

I imagine this would be done in the case that they deem a card particularly unworthy of say a 9 and instead give it a 7 or something when BGS gave it a 9.5 and obviously in that case most people would opt for a BGS 9 with a chance of regrading still or whatever?

If a card doesn’t hit the minimum you set, it stays in the BGS case.

Yep did this with a base Charizard that had 4 X 9.5 sub grades. It didn’t cross over to a PSA 10. Left it in the BGS case and sent it back. BGS cards seem to be graded easier than PSA.

1 Like

Any BGS card with a 9 subgrade on corners in edges should not grade a PSA 10 imo. The PSA grader knows what to look for and you know they’re checking the subgrades looking for the fault.

Remember BGS grades can be at max .5 of a grade higher than it’s lowest subgrade under the standards they’ve posted.

So the BGS 9.5s with 10s, 9.5 subgrades and a 9 on corners or edges is a PSA 9 at best… cough 1st ed charizards… cough.

1 Like

I just pray that this BGS 9 can crossgrade to a PSA 9 (if I win this auction, that is :blush: )

What auction?

Thank you, that helps :blush:

Can’t say until Tuesday? :wink:

www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Organized-Play-Series-5-Pokemon-16-Espeon-BGS-9-MINT-/382107998533

Ahh I see. I wonder what price the card will rise to by the end of bidding

fingers crossed that it’s under $250, but I doubt that it will go that low.