Base set

My son’s 9th bday is coming up and I want to buy him and average complete base set as a gift. eBay prices and local prices are all over the place.
What would be a good guideline/price to go by to make a smart choice.
Will they hold or go up in value over time?
Thanks

1 Like

If you click the tab below the E4 banner at the top of this page that says “pokemonprice” you will find all the information you need on that site. It has a lot of recent sales data for all the cards you’re looking for so that you can make an informed decision :blush:

Thanks I’ll do that. I want to buy the whole complete set. I’ll check the tab you suggested.

1 Like

Price on base set can vary all over, especially when it comes to the full set just because of things like card condition, shadowless/1st edition, unlimited, etc etc. Your best bet would be figuring out how youd like to purchase it (meaning what condition and what type) then go from there in finding prices for the holos first, just to ball park an idea of what you should be looking out for. Add them together and then add up the rest and you should get an average price range for the whole thing. I actually pmed you here as i might be able to help out in this sense as well, but regardless just to note again prices will vary greatly, so its just about figuring out what exactly your willing to go for and then move from there

Complete Base set prices vary from $220 for EX condition to $300 for EX/NM condition. If you’re buying off ebay, using our “buy” section for example, expect a 5-10% discount since these are the fees directly associated with using ebay.

1 Like

Agree with this, if buying from a reputable seller. Most of the value is in the big 3 holos, so make sure it’s not a NM set with a played Charizard - but selling for a price as if the whole set was near mint. I’ve seen quite a few listings like that over the past couple of years.

3 Likes

I find decent complete Base Sets on my local listings sometimes. Consider shopping around Craigslist and Faceboook Marketplace.

Why not Base 2?

I think the base set is a little more nostalgic. But that’s a preference.
But because of this forum I know a lot more about a base set than I did when I first posted this morning.

1 Like