Base Set Japanese No Rarity Info

Would anyone know some info on these ?

How rare are they really ? Can there be a chance to pull them now from old Japanese base packs ? Maybe there’s many of them in Japan and most aren’t being sent out for grading hence the low pop counts ?

Any info on these will help as I am intrigued to know more about these and maybe understand the hype on them a bit more !

Hey there you should try the search option on E4 to read all the articles availables, or maybe search for the index of articles as I’m too of a boomer to link them here.

2 Likes

There’s a lot of articles actually thank you but it’s confusing me too at the same time lol

Maybe looking for some simple facts in them like possible guess of how many of these have been printed

Why so rare ?

I saw they came from both packs and decks which is cool

Shizzlemetimbers wrote some groundbreaking articles on no rarity, as @papafrankgod suggested do check them out! I have reread them many times as there is quite a bit to absorb.

The chances are extremely slim to opening a no rarity pack. I think the print run was only 53 days long before a rarity symbol was added.

Since no rarity is not super popular and the burden to grade outweighs the return, the population report isn’t terribly high. You have to get a PSA 10 for commons and a PSA 8 for holos right now and I imagine most cards left over at this point from ~30 year-olds are most likely LP condition. A screenshot from a recent purchase shows how cheap I was picking up 9s this past month (think I had a coupon on top of this too).

As for how rare they are in good condition, I think they’re slept on. Unlike English’s 1st edition or even shadowless counterpart, no rarity is relatively unknown and sadly undesired to those who do know. Take Magic’s alpha and beta cards for instance, these are the firsts and their price point reflects that. Perhaps a sleeping giant, perhaps unwanted. Maybe it’s the simple lack of symbol that isn’t enough to be collectible. Me? I think they’re awesome!

7 Likes

Thank you I will check the article out !

The no rarities base holos are pricy though ! I’m seeing the no rarities base holos selling for higher than the 1st Ed base sets in psa 9-10 , is that what you were trying to say ? That no rarity has to have a 9-10 grade for it to be worth buying or another interested ?

You can get a fair amount of PSA 9 NR commons (excluding the starters and Pikachu) for $45-65 all day on Mercari

1 Like

Summed it up perfectly

1 Like

Haha sorry, I wrote that with commons/uncommons in mind. (Made an edit to my first post to include holos)

I have seen some very underpriced PSA 8 and 9 holos on Mercari/Y!J but it’s rare.

The script changes when it comes to holos and these start to outpace 1st edition base around PSA 8s in some cases. I think a psa 9/10 is a great buy even at a higher price than english. Because the pop on 10s is so low (or expensive) I think master set collectors make an exception on 9s

From what I’ve seen in the past years, uncommon/common PSA 9 and up is great. Holos PSA 8 and up is great.

1 Like

That’s muh secret!! :slightly_smiling_face:

For the boomers in the room:

3 Likes

Don’t forget the rares (pokemon and trainer), which are generally harder to find than the holos, and it’s really hard to get them in NM/Mint condition.

Here’s a recent sale of a Electrode PSA 9 on YJ:

Another example with Pidgeotto PSA 10 which was recently sold for 5K.

I won’t be surprised if the Draco in PSA 10 sells for more than 15k+.

3 Likes

I’m aware that it is possible to pull them, but its very rare and none of the packs or products have guaranteed no rarity cards.

I was actually told by a Japanese collector at worlds there is a way to tell from the pack for guaranteedno rarity :slight_smile:

2 Likes

From a pack ? That’s super interesting maybe a certain serial number like the decks ?

pokedude

27 Likes

You’ll have to subscribe to my patreon :blush:

12 Likes

4 Likes

3 Likes

I knew it was coming the second I posted! :rabbit:

16 Likes