Azul (team CGC) wins biggest regionals to date with Charzard ex which means

there is a good chance CGC will offer to grade his exact winning deck, leading to some new rare graded copies of charizard cards that will be out there…

a few things worth noting:

• Azul is probably the most well known active western player after Tord
  • This is his 6th Regional win
  • This is the largest regional in history (although i doub’t that record will last long tbh)

They graded his winning list from OCIC earlier this year. We’ll have to wait and see, but I know he has mentioned taking them up on their offer to grade his winning deck from here on out.

For his OCIC graded cards, I believe he gave out some duplicates on stream. While I would be surprised to see him sell off everything (assuming he grades this deck) any time soon, Any serious charizard collectors should try and keep a finger on the pulse of this story.

If y’all would like, I could follow up on this thread when more is known. I don’t expect high grades or anything like that, but it is Charizard and I know some of y’all like charizard :slight_smile:

6 Likes

do i think these cards will be high in collectables? nah…

do i think they would be cool additions to a collection? yeah probably for a small number of collectors

2 Likes

It would just be a pedigree. The card itself is no different. I don’t see the collectibility of it. But that’s just a binder collector talking

2 Likes

The collectibility comes from knowing that the specific copy was in the deck to win Regionals in 2023. Historical significance tied to the pedigree I suppose.

Not my cup of tea, but I can see why someone would want to buy it.

3 Likes

I’m hoping I can snag an energy on the cheap to complete a ritual for my Azul voodoo doll. Will be on the lookout!

3 Likes

yeah same. not really my thing, but i just thought some people would want to be aware of this. especially since i know there are some serious charizard collectors out there and this could be a fun chase to have for a little while

I don’t hate the idea, I just question the “historical significance” of one region tournament.

If it was world’s and he finished #1, I think you’d have bigger pool of interested people. But I still think the distance in what players think is significant and what collectors think is significant is too large to bridge this way though.

8 Likes

Completely honest response: I could not care less if a card was part of a winning deck at any level of competition. A card designated as such on a grading label, if anything, would make a card less desirable to me and I would prefer an undesignated card even at the same price point.

1 Like

i’m of the belief that the more you have to explain why a card is significant, the less significant it is

2 Likes

I wouldn’t really go out of my to get the specific winning cards, but I do like to keep a tab on cards that are/were comp viable throughout the history of the game. I think its a significant part of Pokemon’s history that many collectors don’t really think about.

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Coming from a pretty competitive background in other TCGs, I find that most players don’t preserve their winning decks. I still remember what mine did, but I can’t recall exact 40s or 60s. None of my friends can either. If I really wanted to keep a deck together, it’d be more meaningful to me if it remained in the same sleeves and deckbox rather than a gigantic stack of 60 plastic slabs that I can’t shuffle and solitaire around with. Just my take on it. :relieved:

3 Likes

Grats to the guy, but a graded winning deck isnt something I have any interest in nor would i consider it part of my species collecting journey

1 Like