Autograph Poll - Signature On The Card Or Case?

This is a frequent question I receive, and thought it would be fun to do a poll!

Autograph collectors, do you prefer the card or case signed?

Card:

Case:

I’ll say case but it really depends on the rarity/value of the card. Less expensive cards I wouldn’t think it matters. The Charizard above is thankfully signed on the case, as should all items of great value be.

My main point is, if the item is worth more than the auto, don’t deface it.

24 Likes

I agree with Gary. I’m not an autograph collector but they do interest me a bit, and I’d prefer the autograph on the card in most cases. But for some really rare/hard to find/gem mint cards, I’d be much happier with the autograph on the case.

Case

First example grades card and auto, second is only the card so the auto could always be questioned. I agree with Gary though, don’t ruin a good card.

For me, it’s either on the card or dont bother.

If you’re worried about the signature taking away value or aesthetic of the card then it’s probably best to pick a different card.

13 Likes

I equate cards to art, and just like art I would like to see the artist sign directly on it. Another plus about signing the card is you can have it authenticated and labeled as such on the slab, where if it’s on the slab then you can’t really do that unless you slab to authenticate the slab which is like inception sh*t :grin:

2 Likes

Imagine getting a top loader signed XD
If it’s on the card you can still re-holder or change case but if it’s on the case it’s just signed plastic. Point is that when it’s on the card it’s permanent but on the case it could fade or be rubbed away.

4 Likes

I prefer on card
But I have a few that are on the case and I still really like those as well!

On card is definitely the way to go if you plan on selling.

2 Likes

For expensive cards I prefer case signed. What I recently realized I didn’t like about on card autos is I like the cards in there original state so I can still kinda read the attacks. I used to collect wrestling figures and Most people that got their figures autographed had it signed on the front of the package, so I see no difference between a figures package or a PSA slab being signed.

1 Like

Definitely the card!

2 Likes

Have always preferred on the card and will be seeing Arita in London later today to have that done!
That said I think one case will be signed… :joy: on that note, does anyone know if you can get a signature off of a BGS case (WITHOUT causing damage) if you change your mind?

Since I do not collect graded cards and really don’t like the look of the graded cases, I’m 100% in the “sign on the card” camp.

1 Like

da Vinci didn’t sign on the Mona Lisa’s cheek🤔

If it’s on the card you can’t rub it off at all…at least not without ruining the card.

Eucalyptus oil is one thing that’ll get that ink off without ruining the case. There are more options too.

www.mcm-systeme.de/mediafiles/PDF/cepex/Chemische%20Best%C3%A4ndigkeit%20von%20Kunststoffen.pdf
Here’s a useful chart with the chemical resistance of different polymers/plastics. Useful that is, after you’ve done the research on what the slabs are made of :grin:

How alpha would it would be to get a cards slab signed, then have PSA encapsulate the already encapsulated card. Next level card protection.

We have actually discussed this before. At least as far as an independent E4 Company encapsulating graded cards with an affirmation grade. Like for strong or weak…

1 Like

:joy: I don’t think you’re one to troll Gary but… just some oil!?