Authenticating Booster Boxes

I have the opportunity to buy a booster box, However with all the fakes out there I would like to know how to authenticate it. Luckily I will be able to see it in person before buying it but still I am no expert at this. Any tips so I dont get screwed?

Look for obvious wear discrepancies between the box itself and the wrap. This is probably the most obvious thing that applies to all boxes. If you have mint wrap, but a damaged portion on the box that’s not really physically possible

I should mention it is an ex era box so no wotc logos. It has the pokemon logo on the top but the bottom is not logo’d. However that seems to be normal

take pictures and post them here, if the seller is legit he will have no problem waiting a little extra.

Don’t let these substantial low fake boxes scare you from buying a legit one as there have been thousands of legit boxes opened this year alone compared to minuscule fake ones. Just be smart, know what to look for and who you are buying from and you will be fine. I have bought over 20 sealed vintage booster boxes on eBay over the 6 years I’ve been collecting and all of them were legit, again just be smart about it.

Lol I wanna know how to be smart about it. I mean we are meeting in the police station so its really just a matter of if the box is visually correct to me when I see it. the pics look legit

Im not buying till next week btw so I wanted to learn how to authenticate before then its not a rushed thing

2 best answers are first to open it so you’ll find out immediately and second to never open it so you’ll never find out. Those two honestly are the most often used answers too.

If going with the second one and you plan to sell someday then hope to find another like yourself. Most ex boxes have such negative EV that this will likely be the norm. WOTC has never really been there. Kinda makes ex era the prime fake target I’d imagine.

1 Like

Schrodinger’s pokemon

5 Likes

if you gotta catch em all with boxes you need ex era:) and that alone makes them expensive due to their scarcity

isnt there a way to push the flap down and see the packs