Apr 13 - Apr 19, 2014 - Natta Wake Birthday Pikachu

**Natta Wake Pikachu

Discuss!**

This is my single favorite pokemon card. I’d eventually like to get a PSA 10. I have a 9 and non graded. It was introduced in 2001 as a promo card part of the Natta Wake or “How I Became a Pokemon” magazine, volume 6. It’s funny that the holographic version of the _'s Pikachu or Birthday Pikachu (I have a couple 10’s of those too) was initially thought to be worth a lot more but eventually people discovered the Natta Wake Pikachu was much rarer and more valuable. This combined with the awesome and adorable artwork on this card has made it a pretty high value card. I have still yet to find a card I like more or would feel more prized to have in my collection. But I’m not sure you’ll necessarily find another person as passionate about this card as I am haha so feel free to disagree with it’s significance. :blush:

1 Like

Also @japanime has an interesting story he might be willing to share about getting all of the Natta Wake volumes except the pikachu one.

1 Like

I’d like to hear that!!

The Natta Wake Birthday Pikachu has iconic artwork though. It is truly imo one of the most beautiful promo cards ever made. There are many good ones and this one certainly has a place among them. Definitely one of my favourites :blush:

2 Likes

Lol its the same Pikachu expression as pokemontraders DP.

So cute :laughing: !!

Yeah, @timewaster1700 and I were talking about this just a week or so ago.

The card was released in September 2001, right around the same day of the 9/11 attacks. I was in the United States for a wedding, and I had given all of my staff at my toy store in Japan the week off. We carried all of the other Natta Wake volumes in the store, but I had forgotten to order the final issue of the Natta Wake comic before leaving for the States. Normally, that wouldn’t have been a problem — I could have gotten it on release day from our wholesaler. I was due to fly back to Japan on September 12, but ended up being there for most of the month because all of the flights were grounded.

By the time I got back, it was too late to buy the comic from our wholesaler. I could have scrounged up a copy here and there, but at the time didn’t feel like the effort would be worth it.

Of course, what happened on 9/11 was a terrible tragedy. Not getting the comic and card means absolutely nothing. It’s just paper and cardboard. So, as I told @timewaster1700, please don’t misunderstand me — I’m not trying to equate the two. :sweat:

Thanks for sharing Glenn! I don’t think most people would take offense to your story at all or assume your equating the tradgety of the event with missing getting a pokemon card. It’s just an interesting story and I think paints a picture of the time period this card came out. Thanks!

Thanks for sharing Glenn! Of course no one thinks that you’re downplaying 9/11.

Do you have any idea if the print run was smaller for the Birthday Pikachu comic? It is obviously harder to come by than the rest of the Natta Wake cards, but of course that could simply be due to the significantly increased demand for the card.

Good question. As a book publisher myself, I can say with certainty that the number of people buying volumes in a series almost always declines as a series progresses. Some readers lose interest, others don’t have the time to keep up, etc. I have no way of knowing for sure whether this was the case with the Natta Wake books, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

2 Likes

Wow ya that makes total sense. Especially in 2001 I’m sure Pokemon wasn’t as popular in Japan as it had been in 96, 97, 98, 99. Correct me if I’m wrong with that assumption. I think though, the Natta Wake volumes as a whole just aren’t that common to find. Really most of the cards are fairly rare, but the Pikachu of course is the most prized

Sorry to hate but I really dislike this card :slightly_frowning_face: the artwork does not appeal to me. Conversely I adore the natta awake mankey.

Ah its all good. I’m personally glad its not everyone’s favorite or it would be impossible to get ahold of haha. Its already hard enough.
But hey everyone has their own opinion and their own style which is part of the fun