Another card I noticed something new about!

i think the one in between staryu and lapras is togepiand pikachu is under charizardunsure of top left

1 Like

I’ll go with ink blot guy haha. P leaves too much room for speculation! To your first part, good question. I was thinking that the meowth was dreaming

Dude nice one! I have never noticed that one either!

You guys are blowing my mind. How could I have never have noticed these? Thought Meowth’s was just falling rocks and Sprout Tower was a simple cloud…what else have we been missing?

Everyone. Pull out everything. We must discover the truth of our own designs.

4 Likes
1 Like

I’ve not updated it in a while, and the current images are missing the Meowth as mentioned, but here are some pictures I posted a few months back: www.elitefourum.com/t/pichufans-shared-artwork-binder-collection-379-675-cards/22196/1

Holy crap! That’s crazy- good spot.

It looks to me like Meowth is lashing out in reaction to nightmares…
Poor guy :yum:

Haha man, that’S actually amazing :grin:
nice find man. We should make a Thread for finding such hidden oddities in cards.

1 Like

That’s awesome. Very cool to notice. Well done!

I’d like to point out something else I noticed with the card: every one of these Pokemon (with the exception of one) had had a critical role in defeating Meowth (and Jessie & James) throughout the course of the series at the time that this card was released.

Starting from 1 o’clock: Butterfree, Geodude, Charizard, Pikachu, Staryu (or Starmie), Jigglypuff, Lapras, Golbat, Squirtle (yes, it’s definitely Squirtle–it’s posed like an actual turtle with the back of its shell facing upwards), and Bulbasaur–each of these Pokemon was either owned by one of the main gang (Ash, Misty, and Brock) at some point before or at the point of this card’s release, the exceptions being Jigglypuff and Golbat. Jigglypuff was a constant presence in the original series, often screwing up the plot–including Team Rocket’s plans. Therefore, the only one that doesn’t make sense is Golbat. Brock owned a Zubat; however, it would not evolve until the episode “Hassle in the Castle”, which aired in Japan on September 21, 2000. This card was released in Japan on October 27th, 1999. However, perhaps the illustrator of this card had foreknowledge of Brock’s Zubat evolving. How so? Because: the illustrator of this card is none other than Kunihiko Yuyuma, the executive director of the Pokemon TV series.

And so, why is Meowth posed like this in horrifying-looking void with the shadows of all of these Pokemon surrounding him? This is speculation, but perhaps it is because he is paralyzed in fear by the haunting memories of defeat at the hands of all these Pokemon throughout the TV show–something that the executive director of the TV series, with the only card he ever illustrated, would want to represent.

That’s my two cents:) Thanks again to @mikejofthecoast for getting all of initial findings! I’ve always really liked this card, yet I was still too blind to make the observation that those black shadows weren’t falling rocks but rather, actual Pokemon!

16 Likes

@mtajaj32,

Nice post:) I never connected that the artist was the same person as the director Yuyama.

@mtajaj32 that is the best fan theory I have heard since the one about Jar Jar Binks being a sith lord.

4 Likes

I think you’re onto something there… Meowth could possibly be having a nightmare about the evil clones from Pokemon the first movie. This prediction is further supported by the fact that the illustrator of the card, Kunihiko Yuyama, worked on the movie as well as the anime at large. Just a guess though

Bottom one is a Clefable, top one is an Arcanine/Growlith

Rare never before seen fish Pokémon in the background of this Psyduck artwork…

1 Like

that’s just wishiwashi

No. It’s a Barboach

The art is from the time when neither of those Pokemon existed so it’s just your regular unidentified creature in the Pokemon world called “a fish”

3 Likes