An auction first

All it would take is 2 people backing out for it to fall from 22k to 9.5k. Person A has a max bid of 25k say and had the highest bid at 22k but they drop out. Person B had the highest at 20k who took over after A dropped out. Then below that, person C had the highest bid of $9.5k which it falls to after person B drops out. It wouldn’t matter that the increment was $1k and you were making it sounds like “a lot of people who didn’t honor their bids” could have been 1 person for each thousand it fell. Theoretically it could have been that much, but realistically it is probably 2-3 people maximum

“I was a legitimate bidder but ran into a financial situation that wouldn’t have allowed me to pay within the allocated 7 days.”

Which means of course, you were an illegitimate bidder all along since you were unable to follow through. It shocks me how easily someone thinks their personal problems can be reason enough to cancel bids on their items. Everyone has their own personal things going on, and realistically someone should only be buying a $20k card if they have hundreds of thousands lying around IMO. That amount of money you bid on ANY auction should be insignificant to you to the point that regardless of what life events occur in between you placing it and the auction end, you will be able to follow through with your commitment. I think it is awesome Heritage bans non paying or retracting bidders. It makes them look foolish and hurts their seller to have the bids drop like that. I wish eBay would do the same and I see the same thing over there all the time. I literally have selfish foolish bidders EVERY WEEK who cancel bids on $1-$200 items simply because they had “car troubles”, “unexpected expenses”, “won too many auctions” etc. If your finances are so tight you can’t follow through with your commitments you should be punished as it is selfish and irresponsible to do that to a seller. Many times auctions are being sold to cover ones own expenses for whatever it may be. Excuses won’t pay bills and it wastes everyone’s time.

@garyis2000 was 100% warranted to call you a false bidder as that is what you are. Plain and simple. Sure maybe some excuses would be more reasonable than others, but in any case you are backing out on a binding deal you agreed to and causing harm to the auction and auction houses integrity.

Disclaimer: I also have NO monetary link to this auction whatsoever. I have never seen the card, don’t want to buy the card, don’t have anything to gain from it selling for a higher or lower amount. I simply can’t stand it when people back out of their responsibilities and think it’s no big deal.

13 Likes

Well said ketchum. Much more reasoned and tactful than my profanity driven diatribe which was edited lol.

My avatar = Mfw a buyer backs out of an eBay item they bid on or already bought.

I forgot to mention the 22k bid was also removed/banned as well. They were determined to be a troll bid trying to ruin the auction by not paying. However I am not sure of that bidders identity. The bid was placed about a week ago.

These two false bids were the result of the price drop. Very disappointing these people exist in our hobby. It’s one thing to not like the card, the price, hell, even me, but attempting to ruin an auction is unjustifiable.

2 Likes

I think the main reason for this is the you part Scott.

You just being you, has caused this mess. Stop it. Stop it now. Can’t you see how much hurt and pain you’re bringing??

1 Like

i’ll still love you scott.

BTW why have you called back after our date? WTF bro

1 Like

1 Minute! Where are those snipers :stuck_out_tongue:

This was only the end of the pre-bid auction. The live auction occurs later.

1 Like

Is it happening tonight, or tomorrow? I understand an exact time will be hard to pin down, as the lots before it can vary how long the live auction lasts but is there a rough time?

From what I see, it seems like online “live” proxy bidding just opened which means that in 24 hours the “real” in person bidding will start in CA? Throughout which time, bids will still be taken online? Is that correct?

It will be cool to follow this! Best of luck. Hope not too much damage was done with the bid retractions.

1 Like

Thanks for telling me, luckily! $20k would’ve been low I think.

1 Like

I believe they do a certain amount of lots in a day. I think the illustrator will be towards the end of the first lot/group. This card is currently displayed in Beverly Hills, CA, which is where the in person bidding will occur. Not sure the exact time for everything.

It looks like if you click the “bid button”, a live video is occurring where they are calling bids for the lots.

1 Like

ah wow - didn’t know this was actually going to a live auction floor. they have about 200 lots to go until the Illustrator…is that going to happen during this stream?

actually it says at the bottom

This lot is in: 1 - Signature® Floor Session (Live Floor, Live Phone, Mail, Fax, Internet, and Heritage Live):
(Lots 91001-91312) - 1:00 PM Central Time (11:00 AM Pacific Time), Thursday, November 17, 2016.

seems fate for you to give me the card :wink: for being such a nice member of your forum