Akira Toriyama

I know this is for Pokémon cards but dragonball was just as big a part of my life as pokemon. Rest in peace to a legend.

39 Likes

vegeta-under-the-rain

32 Likes

Most, including myself, cannot overstate the impact of Dragonball and to some extent Chrono Trigger in our young lives. Goku turning Super Saiyan for the first time was just pure hype for me. I am sure other mangaka have also stated the influence Toriyama’s work had on their own works. Genius artist through and through! Taken away too soon.

Rest in Peace!

20 Likes

Dragon Ball alone has had so much impact on the world. It greatly influenced an entire genre of anime/manga and has inspired countless people in their lives. Dragon Ball has been a big part of my life since I was a late teen, so it’s incredibly saddening to hear of his passing. Rest in Peace to a legend.

22 Likes

Truly the passing of a legend. Dragonball is a cornerstone of my life, it was one of the 1st anime that really got me into the medium. It is a foundational work in Shonen and basically every single thing that has come out afterwards has been influenced by it. While difficult, I didn’t feel the impact of it until I read the statements that Eiichiro Oda (Creator of One Piece) and Masashi Kishimoto (Creator of Naturo) put out on Toriyama’s passing that I broke down at my desk at work. The Hero of my Heroes, its simply too painful to bear right now.

Please give these a read and think back on all of Akira Toriyama’s greatness. Also, please reach out to your own loved ones, life is too short and you never know when someone important you won’t be there anymore.

Oda Eiichiro:

It is too early.

The hole is too big. Sadness washes over me when I think that I will never see him again.

I have admired him so much since I was a child, so I remember the day he called me by name for the first time. On the way home from the day you used the word “friend” for me and Kishimoto, I remember being overjoyed with Kishimoto. I also remember the last conversation we had.

I was one of those who took the baton from the days when reading manga made you a fool, and he also created an era when both adults and children could enjoy reading manga. He showed us the dream that manga can go worldwide. It was like watching a hero going forward.

For not only mangakas but also creators in various industries, the excitement and emotion of the time of Dragon Ball serialization must have taken root in their childhood.His existence is like a big tree.

For the manga artists of our generation who stood on the same stage, Toriyama’s works became more and more important to me as I got closer to the same stage. I even felt being scary. But I am just happy to see the aloof man himself again. Because we love him on a blood level.

With respect and gratitude for the creative world he has left behind. I pray for his soulful rest in peace.

May heaven be the joyous world he envisioned.

15 Likes

Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama.

12 Likes

Rest in peace :pray:

12 Likes

dragonball and pokemon were what i looked forward to every day when getting home from school. :pray:

15 Likes

i remember watching Dragonball Z Kai here and there as a kid in Thai. got to watch the Freeza Arc/Cell Saga mainly as a kid.

Probably one of the first anime i have seen along with Pokemon.

RIP one of the best creators in anime and manga history

12 Likes

Rest in peace, Legend. Thank you for all the memories

10 Likes

I actually just watched my full dragon ball and dragon ball z dvd collection, just last month, for the 10th time in my life or so… I had done so to get myself out of a slump and as part of an ongoing effort to get back to my consistent creative endeavors. It’s one of the few perfect things that really does it for me no matter where I am in life.

And every time I do I cry at many points. The astounding beauty, the impact it has on me and always has, the resonance it had with the world. It’s one of those high tide moments in history, and in art in general. Not just anime.

The man is truly great, and the world will miss such a powerful force. And I’d like to thank him for the profound life changing art he has gifted to the world that I am fortunate enough to have witnessed and enjoyed all my life.

15 Likes

https://twitter.com/mrjeffu/status/1766101692842410311

16 Likes

Real deep shame there. Dragonball Z was the first anime I saw. I still remember my mother bringing me to a friends house for a weekend and going through the stations late one night before finally landing on Toonami. I was hooked. I stayed up so late that night watching DBZ, Gundam, and Sailor Moon. It was unlike any other cartoon station I ever watched.

The man left behind a generation. Such a legend for animation everywhere and may very well be credited as the man who brought anime to the forefront of the rest of the world.

14 Likes

IMG_4339

15 Likes

Besides what he represented to our childhood, how important he was in defining the modern era of manga, the incredible artistic talent… this is really a super saddening event that deeply touches me.
If you’re a bit into manga and mangakas you know how hard their schedule is, how demanding is this career in Japan, and how much destroying is for their body. Spending 20 (at least) of your precious youth and prime years, and not even enjoying your deserved retirement due to the human frailty, feels so cruel.

When I heard of a sensei passing relatively young, like Miura or Takahashi, I cannot stop thinking about this.
Rest in peace.

13 Likes

Dragonball, Pokemon and baseball - the foundation of my childhood. Feels like a piece of it is gone now, because even as an adult I was very much enganged in Dragon Ball and I’ve been eagarly awaiting Daima ever since it was announced. This is very sad - he wasn’t THAT old.

8 Likes

:saluting_face:

DB, Pokémon, digimon, yugioh, and gundam were my collective intro into anime. Rest in peace king

11 Likes

In Latin America, DBZ was probably more than a core memory.

In my country, when we were little kids (around 10ish). We went out to play soccer every single day till the sun started to come down but we just stopped playing because we went (daily) to a friends house to see DBZ with both his parents while everyone cheered for Goku’s adventures.

I started my art career by imitating Toriyama’s designs till late at night. My favorite game to this day is Chrono Trigger.

It would be an understatement to say this man forged my childhood and to a certain degree my professional life (and i would bet the same applies for millions).

Rest in peace.

12 Likes

This was a massive shock to hear, i’ve really been shaken all evening because of this. The original dragon ball manga is in top 3 of my cartoon experiences and i’ve read them repeatedly again and again, starting from my preteens until only recently, perhaps the only competitor for top spot actually is sandman series. I believe the original db is also the last book/cartoon i’ve actually read. I was currently collecting the dragon ball super manga that was his latest and ongoing manga, i wonder what will happen to it now. Kinda doesn’t feel right if he’s not involved but on the other hand it would be massive pity if the last work by him was left unfinished

I believe most of us have tried to do kamehameha at some point in our lives. Rest in peace, kevyet mullat.

11 Likes

I regularly try to do energy blasts just walking around. If only I get the form exactly right, that’s why its not working!

I would hope that he had some notes for the DBS manga going forward. Toyotarou has been trying his best with it, so I am interested to see what they do from now on with it.

9 Likes