Akira Toriyama

I did a Kamehameha this morning out of respect. It’s what he would have wanted, I think

8 Likes

It sounds cliche, but I genuinely think I would be a different person if it wasn’t for Dragon Ball Z and Akira Toriyama. So many of my childhood struggles were overcome by finding courage and passion within myself, just like Goku or Vegeta. Dealing with bullies, perservering through hardships, even overcoming fears, were motivated by trying to be like Vegeta. Even in my adult life, one of my biggest motivators for getting fit has been getting closer to a Saiyan physique while wearing my “Training to beat Goku” tanktop. Very sorry to hear about this. He’ll truly be missed and always remembered.

17 Likes

What a terrible loss. Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z were always running on Toonami growing up in my home, not to mention the hours of play in the Dragon Ball Z Budokai series.

The most important thing that we can do in this life is to leave something positive behind. Artists, animators, and storytellers have the incredible honor to leave their life’s work behind for all to enjoy in perpetuity. While I am saddened by this loss, I am reminded by the countless hours of enjoyment, both past and future, that he contributed to my life.

12 Likes

I don’t think this is as impactful as what some have said, but I do want to say that like many, Dragonball and DBZ were a major part of my childhood. I don’t consider it as impactful to me as a person, BUT here’s a funny little anecdote.

In all athletics and performing arts, many have tricks they use to stay consistent or to remember their techniques during a tough performance - you’re tired, your brain’s not getting as much oxygen. I would “power up”, tense every muscle, and focus inward on my breathing and posture. Turns out, this helps force blood to the brain and activate muscles.

It started as a juvenile fantasy, going Super Saiyan, :laughing: but as I got better, I learned it was actually a good way to focus. heh. Thanks Toriyama San!

gokuAngel

8 Likes

Definitely shedding a few tears reading through these. It can’t be understated the effect Toiryama had on me. I was 18 when I really got into Dragonball and I now realize that is where my life path began to take on more meaning to me. After DBZ, of course I watched more anime, but I also began studying Japanese. Eventually, it led to further cultural study, and finally studying abroad. Then later on, living and working there for 3 more years. Toriyama is the one that began my training.

It’s fair to say that before Dragonball, I had little ambition or knowledge of what I wanted my life to look like. He dramatically changed my view of what’s important and gave me something that I want to strive for. Because of him, I am actively pursuing a career that I previously never thought I would do. I can speak a language that many deem the hardest in the world. And I have the confidence to go live in a foreign land all for the purpose of training.

Thank you very much Toriyama! We know Goku is waiting for you with King Kai, rest in peace.

14 Likes

It’s a sad day. He was an amazing artist who created so many great stories and pieces of art. Dragonball and DBZ, Chrono Trigger, and Sandland are all up there as some of my favorite anime/video game/manga of all time. Especially sad that Sandland is finally getting some love (anime this month and video game next month) and he just missed out on seeing it get the attention it deserves.

6 Likes

I read Oda’s statement when it first came up and I teared up when I got to the last line.

Dragonball and Dragonball Z were also my introduction to anime as it was with millions of others. I remember as a little kid trying to figure out how to setup our VCR to record episodes that would air on Sunday mornings. I couldn’t catch it when it aired because I was forced to attend church every Sunday. That vhs tape must have gotten overwritten to hell. :smile:

It makes me so sad to think he didn’t even get to enjoy his 70’s, gone far too soon.

@SeasidePokemon I know this is terrible, but I never got around to playing Chrono Trigger, even after knowing it’s prominence in gaming history and playing every other well known game during the 16 bit era. But I think it’s time to change that.

10 Likes

Phenomenal game, especially if you still have your SNES. The score is soooooo good.

4 Likes

No shame at all in not having played it, I just played it for the first time a few years ago and it lived up to its reputation. Absolutely incredible game, especially for its time and yet still feels like it hasn’t aged a day. I envy that you get to play it for the first time!

4 Likes

A big loss for sure! I always enjoyed DB & DBZ as a kid (mainly watched DBZ). In addition, I’ll always remember playing Dragon Quest 8 on my PS2 back in the early 2000s. This really makes me want to re-visit his work, such a unique & distinctive art style. Rest in peace :pray:t2:

3 Likes

@brendantheclayboy I do and it’s actually hooked up right next to my N64! Unfortunately I don’t own the cart and it’s painful to remember I passed up on a CIB for $100 back in the day. :expressionless:

@SeasidePokemon It is exciting thinking about it. I can’t imagine what it would have been like playing it when it first came out!

3 Likes

Ah a fellow intellectual? Well after realizing you were komiya blood too I could have guessed as much :nerd_face:

And yeah I passed on a lot of stuff but luckily I got quite the haul anyway in the heyday of when no one wanted the stuff. I have basically every game I want on snes and n64, grateful for that. Amusing to see CT so high these days, but worth every penny even at this price, imho

2 Likes

Can’t recommend Chrono Trigger highly enough. It’s a top 10 game of all time imo. Great RPG at its core, challenging, nice story, artwork from Toriyama, good soundtrack. All-around fantastic game. Hope you get a chance to play it!

4 Likes

:laughing: Dood! Near the end of the English dub release on Toonami, when they’d play the new episode and then go back to the beginning of the boo arc for a few weeks. I recorded ever week just to make sure I didn’t miss it. And then Legendary Super warriors came out for the GBC and it had the complete saga, even before the last few episodes had aired. Everyone was falling out their seats to see what was gonna happen! Those were great times!

3 Likes

We really were in a short lived era where early internet coupled with the explosion of anime in the west and advancing technology made for a really fun time full of rampant rumors, speculation and mystery. You felt like you were always discovering something new in so many different ways!

4 Likes

Some of you may be interested in bidding in this auction.

https://comics.ha.com/c/search/results.zx?dept=1938&mode=live&auction_name=40248&type=hero-comic-close-40248-Anime-rem-tem032224

6 Likes

Awesome to see so many production cels and layouts. Always amazing to see the work put into animation before things went almost full digital.

3 Likes

For those interested, dragon ball super enters an indefinite hiatus but is believed to eventually come back. Unrelated but sadly also pokemon adventures manga is on hiatus due to Satoshi Yamamoto’s health issues

https://www.cbr.com/dbs-manga-hiatus-fans-goodbye/

3 Likes

I’m not sure how many people here are interested in dragon ball super manga but i’ll share the news anyway since it’s basically confirmed to continue. Like the article says no one can replace Toriyama but Toyotarou is the best person to carry on from here hence working directly with Toriyama from 2015. While i’m still sad for losing Toriyama i’m hopeful we can still get new enjoyable manga and to continue and finish reading the story arcs Toriyama left behind

https://screenrant.com/dragon-ball-super-future-confirmed-hiatus-end/

3 Likes

I was really worried when they initially said the hiatus was indefinite. So this is good news.

2 Likes