Advice on Photographing/Scanning your Cards

Fyi I’m in the alpha testing phase of software able to automatically crop and rotate scans with one click, no guides needed. It’s what I used in my post earlier in this thread its also how i did my entire psa sub in the return thread.

Soon ill be looking for people to beta test since it still needs a few more tweaks before a more general release

17 Likes

Can I be put on the list for beta testing? Got plenty of raw and slabbed cards I want to scan!

1 Like

I asked this on the discord and the answer was they only scan above a certain service level apparently. Also, you won’t have scans of cards you bought from someone else.

2 Likes

Would that work with photos as well? The aligning and cropping is incredibly time consuming. I guess some edge detection software could do it, but I wouldn’t know where to start lol.

+1 for me to test anything. Sounds like it would be a huge timesaver.

1 Like

Another reason to scan your own cards is sometimes PSA’s scans can be questionable.

PSA’s scan:

V600:

9 Likes

Is it PSA proprietary software?

It is PFM proprietary software :slight_smile:

6 Likes

You can sort of do this in the shipped software with the V600 as long as you make a template.

Hey Cig, sent you a dm.

2 Likes

How to take such photos? They are wonderful! If anyone knows, could you recommend me some video tutorials? thank you

Most likely they are using a telephoto lens of some sort (70mm+ lens?) that is aligned squarely with the card and set up on a tripod. That gives you the flat/compressed look.

The light is probably a single source flash or continuous light with something to diffuse the light in the first one. Its looks to be placed head on at 60-80 degrees up from the card. Maybe even almost directly over head. They could also have another light on the ground pointed to the background to give the bright blown out look.

You can see the light set up in the second image reflecting on the marbles. Looks to be 2 lights (reflection makes it look like 4?) and they are a few degree each to the right/left of the camera. This provides a more evenly lit look compared to the first image. For this one the lights are angled 45-60 degree angle down to the cards.

Would look up product photography on YouTube. That would be a good start. Product photography isn’t my forte, but I don’t think I am too far off with my statements above.

4 Likes

does it work on a v37

/

5 Likes

What file type do you save your scans as? I’ve been using .TIF for years, but recently eBay has stopped allowing me to upload .TIF files

JPEG is probably sufficient for ebay listings. They will probably be the smallest size if you plan on keeping copies of the scans forever. But they are lossy meaning the quality is slightly compromised. But if you’re not scanning for like archival purposes it probably doesn’t matter.

I think TIFF is primarily useful for applications in the printing industry and might be a bit overkill for ebay listings. PNG is probably the compromise between space and quality. It’s nonlossy so the quality stays high but the compression is better than TIFF

tldr JPEG for space and PNG for quality

2 Likes

What’s the process of placing the photo/custom backgrounds behind slabs?

2 Likes

Yup, same. After researching scanners, I was surprised at how many people have the same V600 scanner! But it is the best of the best

You would feed your raw cards into a Scanner lol? Seems like a NM copy downgrading into a LP Copy lol

1 Like