How to Add a Background to Your Card Scans - A Tutorial

This is a tutorial on how to take a scan of a graded card and make it look something like this

An image editor is needed. This guide uses GIMP which is free and available on all operating systems.

Step 1. Open the image.

Open GIMP, it should be blank with no image data yet.

You can either use your own card scan or the image provided here.

You can either copy & paste your image directly into GIMP OR drag & drop into the software from a file OR File > Import as Layers...

It should look similar to this.

Great, that was easy.

If you’ve never used GIMP there are two things you should pay attention to right now. First, these are the various tools you can use to manipulate images shown in the left image below. Right-clicking some of them reveals more tools with similar behaviours. Next, the layers are shown on the right. For this tutorial, layers are extremely important.

The image we added lies on it’s own layer. We can double-click the name to change it. This is optional but it helps keep track of what is on each layer. Here I will rename it from “Pasted Layer” to “card”

Step 2. Find a background.

You can either get it from Google or make it yourself. But that might require an entire other tutorial :slight_smile:

You can also use mine if you want.

Copy & paste it into GIMP. It will appear on a different layer.

It should look similar to this.

There are a couple problems though. It’s been added as a “Floating Selection” which is technically not a true layer. The second problem is that it’s a background but it’s appearing on top of our card.

What we want to do is click the icon on the left here, the “page with plus sign” which will place the Floating Selection on it’s own layer. The other options that would be commonly used is the “anchor” that would place the Floating Layer right on top of the layer below it. The “x” will delete that layer if you pasted it by accident. But for now, we want to put the background on it’s own layer.

Next, you can either use the “up” and “down” arrow buttons OR just drag the background layer below the card layer. You can optionally name the background layer too which I will call “background”.

And now it should look like this.

Another problem though! Where is the background?? It’s being covered fully by the card! This is because the image size is too small. Layers that extend beyond the image dimensions will be cropped when the final image is produced. To fix this, we need to change the image size

Image > Fit Canvas to Layers
This is an easy way to make the image as big as needed to fit all the layers. If you want to fine-tune it more, you can try

Image > Canvas Size...
You can then make it as big as you want. If it’s for Instagram, a square is ideal. I will do 1200x1200px

For more info click here.

GIMP will try to maintain the ratio of width to height by default so click the “chain” button next to the dimensions if you don’t want the ratio to stay constant. Use the “Center” button to center all the layers within the new dimensions.

We could be done right here if you wanted to be! or we can do better :slight_smile:
Keep going if you want to go from amateur to professional :sunglasses:

Here's what my screen looks like at this point.

Step 3. Trimming the corners.

So the image looks good but when we zoom in there is some stuff we can make better. Depending on the card image you have, you might have some little corners sticking out, as seen below in black.

First you have to make sure that you are working on the card layer. Meaning you have to click on the card layer so it is highlighted in the Layers panel. To confirm, the active layer will have a yellow dotted line around it.
image image

Next, you want the “magic wand” tool as highlighted below (if you can’t see it, try right-clicking that tool slot).

With the magic wand, click and hold on the black triangle we want to remove. While holding the mouse down, move the mouse. The wand will select nearby pixels with similar colors - moving the mouse makes this selection either more or less inclusive. When you are satisfied, release the mouse click.

Basically you want a selection that looks similar to this.

Then you can either press the Delete key or “cut” (ex. CTRL+x on Windows) the selection.

Wow, that’s looking professional! Now do the same to the other corners.

Here is my screen at this point.

Can we go even deeper?

Step 4. Making the slab transparent.

Yes we can. Ready? The main idea is that we want to separate the parts of the image that should be transparent from the parts that are not.

For starters, let’s do the label. Since it’s a nice rectangle, it’s easy. Use the Rectangle Selection tool below.

Make sure your active layer is the card again! Click and drag to select the entire label and “cut” it (ie. CTRL+x). Then “paste” it back (ie. CTRL+v).

After cutting, it should look like this.

And after pasting, you will have a new Floating Selection layer.

Use the “page with plus sign” button to put the label onto it’s own layer like we did with the background. Optionally, name this layer.

Now, it should look like nothing has changed but that is far from true. You will see soon. Next we will do a similar thing to the card itself. Make the card layer the active layer again first! Then use the rectangle selection to select the entire card.

Here is an example of what you should be selecting.

Next, we will do something sneaky. Instead of a square selection, you can make it rounded by using the Radius setting! In my case, 25 is a good value, it could be different for you.

Zooming in, the corner should be similar to this.

In this case, it’s better to not include a few pixels near the edge of the card rather than including too much. It’s up to you how you want to do it though, this might make sense why in a second.

Once you have the selection good, you will want to again “cut” it (ie. CTRL+x) and “paste” it back (ie. CTRL+v) and then place the Floating Selection on it’s own layer.

For me, the final set of layers looks like the image below. You can click on the “eyeball” to make layers visible and invisible, to confirm each layer makes sense.

We are almost done! Now that the “slab” has been separated from the card and label, we can make that layer transparent. You can do it quick-and-dirty by reducing the Opacity of the slab layer, here I set it to 66%.

Opacity at 66% looks like this.

Eh. It’s kind of flat though. Was it really worth the effort? Well, we can do better. The other thing we can do is change the Mode of the “slab” layer. The Mode determines how a layer interacts with the layer below it.

For example, setting Mode to Multiply "multiplies" the value of the pixels in the "slab" layer with the pixels in the "background" layer.

The details aren’t important. Basically, it’s best to just eyeball it and pick a mode that looks look for what you’re trying to achieve. Another thing you can do is duplicate layers (right click > Duplicate Layer) and make them interact with themselves.

Here’s what I ended up with. I duplicated the “slab” layer. The top “slab” layer is set to Screen, 50% Opacity. The lower “slab copy” layer is set to Multiply, 95% Opacity. This produced the image show at the end of the tutorial!

Step 5. Saving.

The GIMP file format is a .xcf. It’s not really an image, it’s a file that holds all the layer information and GIMP settings so that you can come back to edit the same image later. You can save the final result as .xcf if you want, it’s optional. If you ever want to make a change to one layer later, you better hope you did!

Otherwise, you just do File > Export as... and you can save the resulting image as .png
It will show a dialog box about different settings, just hit the Export button.

And ta-da! It’s done. There it is.

And of course there you can always go further!

Learn to add shadows and adjust the colors! Sometimes little things can help make it pop more!
Background selection is important too! Be sure to experiment!

35 Likes

Thank you! I was wondering how to do this. Going to try this when I get some free time!

1 Like

Thank you for the clear step by step guide!
Fun to play around with and fairly simple for someone with little experience.
This is what I got:

I could not get step 3 to work, removing the corners. If I removed them that part of the picture just turned white instead of showing the background layer. Any tips on how I can get that to work?

One general tip, I started working with 12000x8000 pixels but my computer had a hard time with that, haha. Once I scaled down to 1200x800 it worked a lot better and my computer could actually handle it.

8 Likes

Sounds like you need to add an alpha channel. If you right-click it should be an option. Basically, the base layer of your image will become transparent (instead of white)

2 Likes

Exactly.

First make sure the active layer is the one you want to fix. Right-click on the image
Layer > Transparency > Add Alpha Channel

Now when you delete or cut, it will show up transparent instead of white

3 Likes

That’s close to 16k resolution! haha
It came out looking good though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup, that fixed it. Thanks!

7 Likes

What a great tutorial! Very professional, cards look beautiful!

Here are some more examples. I was going to do every WOTC holo for Instagram but eventually got tired of the the platform.

8 Likes

Really cool with the extra layer of the holo patern on most of them.

Do you mind posting the files you use for the holo layer? I can’t for the life of me find any good hi-res holo pattern photos

I actually just cheat to make my own.

You can take a pattern like this [1]

And then erase one side with the Eraser tool:

And then you can overlap it onto itself:

Since it’s a pretty random pattern it will almost always look good. You can also rotate the pieces so that it’s harder to notice the repeating parts.

Here's a 1200x1200px version. With a background and a card, this technique is basically undetectable.

You can take an image like this nondescript field

For a quick effect, put the holo layer on top and set the layer Mode to “Grain Merge”

You can also modify the background with like a blur effect and throw on a Pokemon and you now have a Ken Sugimori card

1. source ↩︎

6 Likes

:man_bowing:t2: Ty sir

1 Like

Heratige auctions also took your course @pfm !
https://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabilia/trading-cards/pokemon-charizard-4-1st-edition-base-set-psa-trading-card-game-gem-mt-10-the-pokemon-company-1999-rare-holo/p/7347-11001.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Preview-ThisAuction-120115

2 Likes

This needed to be a Dutch card, my friend!
But i love it! Didn’t even think about using backgrounds for my cards.

1 Like

Haha true, the tulips would have been a nice addition to a Dutch card.
Don’t really collect graded Dutch cards though, prefer Japanese and English!
You should play around with the guide a bit, I had a blast.

1 Like