Scanner recommendations

Hey! So there seems to have been a lot of scanner talk ~7 years ago on this forum and the consensus was to buy a CCD scanner if scanning slabs, and CIS otherwise. I’m hoping to scan my slabs and binder sleeves so CCD would be best, but if it’s too expensive I’ll settle for a CIS and forget about the slabs.

Was hoping people had suggestions for what scanners they use, with additional brownie points for cheap and low form factor!

Epson V550 gang. Perfect for slabs, especially when paired with these scanner bed templates

There’s also a great PFM thread about adding backgrounds to your cards

I know others scan their raw cards with document scanners but not sure which ones they would recommend

2 Likes

I have a Epson Perfection V750 but that would be overkill because I mainly used it to scan medium and large format film negatives. But I think an Epson is totally a good choice from my experience. I used to have a scanner a few steps down compared to the v750 and the scanning produced nearly if not exactly the same results.

2 Likes

Which one does PWCC use? Those pictures seem pretty good.

I use an Epson Perfection V600. It is incredible, but the SilverFast SE app that comes with it is “meh” for Macs. You can do just as much with Preview and a novice photo editing software.

Here are some examples from the V600:

3 Likes

They don’t use a scanner, they have a DSLR on a rig. There’s a video floating around of the whole setup. It’s pretty impressive, but I can’t find it at the moment.

IIRC it was by the company who made the contraption.

1 Like

The v line seems to be incredibly expensive here, no one has a GT-x820 or similar? :sweat_smile:

depends on your price range, i picked up my V550 for $50 on offerup, but you should be able to find one sub $200 on ebay if you don’t want to waste time searching locally

It’s about 500$ here in Japan :sweat_smile::sob:

Edit: actually closer to $1000

I bought an Epson V600 and find it great. Got a Black Friday deal, simple to use overall. Lots of ways to customize things if needed.

I got an Epson v37 off of eBay for ~$50 and it has been great. Shameless plug you can check out some of my scans on my insta :slight_smile:

Also +1 to pfm’s guide

:fireworks: :us: USA USA USA :us: :sparkler:

V600 gives me life

v550 serves me well and if you’re scanning slabs, pokedreamer sells a template that lets you scan 4 at a time.I got mine for $70 open box on eBay