Advice For New Pokemon Youtuber?

Hey guys,

Thinking about starting a YOUTUBE channel for Pokemon Cards & Collectibles. Looking for advice/tips for a new youtuber.

Also curious what type of content you like, ie. Leonhart’s expressions etc.

10 Likes

You should try making a video and then deleting it 30 seconds after you posted it

2 Likes

skip YouTube, straight to onlyfans is the play tbh

7 Likes

Thank you @pkmnflyingmaster, I will keep that in mind

3 Likes

What people here will tell you they like is not what will make you the most successful youtuber.

What will make you a successful youtuber is clickbait thumbnails including gaping mouths, bright colors, pointless censorship, the whole works. And the content should be loud and overexaggerated with as many jump cuts as possible to cut out the short silence and thinking periods that humans have when we talk. It’s cancer, but it draws views. Not my views, but someone’s views.

What I enjoy watching is someone who is knowledgeable about whatever they talk about, has genuine passion for what they’re doing, and doesn’t have a camera or mic from 2003. I will binge whole channels if they make quality well thought out and executed videos even if I didn’t care about the topic they discuss before hand.

13 Likes

Do you enjoy listening to someone that speaks at 1/2 speed or 1.5 speed?

Youtube is saturated already pack openings, both vintage and modern, as well as market discussions. If you are in it for fun, go for it. If you are in for an attempt to make some side money from ad revenue, I wouldn’t waste the time and effort.

Just don’t use an open mouth thumbnail or use fake reactions when opening up a $2 “ultra rare” like Leonhardt. Both are annoying and I block those guys from showing up in my feed.

3 Likes

If I had to pick I’d say 1.5 speed as long as the content is the same

1 Like

@dblast , cover content/cards that you enjoy; don’t feel pressured to be like others you watch. Passion is more important to an audience than production quality; don’t let a lack of “bells and whistles” impede your video-making. Most importantly, do it for yourself. Growth on YouTube is rewarding and somewhat addicting, but it’s usually very slow and very difficult . . . if you’re not motivated by personal enjoyment, you’re probably going to have a bad time.

3 Likes

@butchdawg32, Hey Classics, thanks for the astute response. To clarify, by bells and whistles, are you referring to pro editing/zooming? I will definitely touch on some cards I like, PSA 7 +

1 Like

I definitely recommend trying to emulate content creators that you enjoy. This will give you a good frame of reference as you develop your style. I personally recommend Edison Sears on YouTube, who makes informative and unique content and is also quite charming.

1 Like

Also interested to hear, if others make youtube videos (whether for pokemon or other market) considerations for YT algorithm. Is it a sphere of influencers that bump each other’s Channel’s platform presence? Like to make it big, it helps w/ Pokerev or Leonhart’s engagement*?

As a follow-up to this, it’s extremely difficult to make money on YouTube. First you need 1000 subscribers AND 4,000 hours of watch-time in the previous year to enter the Partnership Program. It takes awhile to get to those thresholds (for many it takes years). Generally speaking, most YouTube revenue is paid based on views and watch-time. I have a couple different YouTube channels that are moderately successful, but for the amount of time it takes to film and edit videos, it’s definitely under $2 an hour.

Video editing is a hobby I really enjoy though and making YouTube videos allows me to promote my other passions like Pokemon while hopefully teaching/helping/entertaining others. In short, make sure you’re doing it for the right reasons; it’s easy to underestimate how much work goes into making videos that people are interested in watching.

4 Likes

Except for EX. Please, someone, open EX – I need larger sample sizes of pull rate data. Seriously.

But yeah, for modern and pre-E-Series WotC there is definitely more than enough pack opening content already on YouTube lol.

4 Likes

@zorloth, Happy to accept donated EX Boosters to open on stream for you bud lol

1 Like

Be informative or entertaining. Preferably both. But if you can’t be both you have to be one of the two.

1 Like

That is a lot of watch time to enter Partnership Program. Shouldn’t be too bad.

Be genuine

3 Likes

I like content I can listen to in the background while doing other things. I rarely watch the screen, so discussions on the market or discussions of people’s backgrounds and experiences with the hobby are ideal. People talking about what they are buying (and selling) and why (not telling others what to buy or sell) I just like to hear different perspectives on how people interact with the hobby whether from a collecting/investing/speculating/flipping side its all interesting to me.

Personally I started a channel a few months ago and have been having a lot of fun with it. I record return videos and collection buys while discussing different bits of exactly what I said above. I wish I had documented in this way my past 7 years experiencing the hobby as it would be cool to have cataloged it all and have better records. If money comes from it then great, but I’m not doing it with that as a primary goal at all.

While doing it all my hope is others can get some benefit from it whether learning some lessons or tips/tricks or at least being entertained by it. I’ve learned a lot from listening to others over the years. The podcast / q&a with @oldskoolpokemon is a lot of fun too as we just record a conversation we’d naturally have for the fun of it anyways.

As mentioned earlier none of what I’m doing or the content I enjoy consuming is in line with the best way to grow or monetize a channel at all.

3 Likes

@gottaketchumall while your videos maybe background noise, I would do something different.