About cleaning a pokemon card

For additional context, ‘repaired’ (aka altered) cards are being rejected by PSA anyway:

The reason why none of the posts above are helpful is because you said, and I quote:

You basically want help from us in ‘repairing’ a moderately played ~PSA 3 or 4 card so it would get a higher grade. Whether you want this for your own collection or to sell it doesn’t even matter, although based on the ‘this card is worth 7.5k in PSA-10’, it’s quite obvious you primarily care about the value of your old binder cards (nothing wrong with that part, FWIW).

Anyway, almost everyone here on the forum hates ‘repaired’ cards that are being send off to PSA, since it’s basically just lying about the condition just to maximize a higher grade and therefore higher value. In the long run, a lot of those ‘repairs’ also deteriorate back over time, which sucks even more for potential buyers of said PSA-graded cards.

Cleaning some dirt of an old card is fine, but back whitening and creases like that is just permanent damage, and not something that can be cleaned - only altered with permanent markers and chemicals and other crap.
I know it sucks to see high value cards from your youth be in abysmal condition (all the cards from my youth are in LP condition at best as well), but that’s just the way it is. :person_shrugging:
Even if you’d open (older) booster packs right now which only contains NM cards, most will still be in PSA 8 or 9 quality. So even with ‘repairs’, that moderately played card will never be PSA-10 quality, as mentioned earlier.

Also, at this point I’m actually very curious about a picture of the front of that card, since I doubt it’s as perfect as you claim it is. In your picture of the back above, I can already see a crease in the top-left corner for example, which likely is (somewhat) visible from the front as well.

Having said that, I’m also not that curious about the front of that card, and since the overall message about card repairing here on the forum has been pretty clear, I’m closing this topic.

Greetz,
Quuador

18 Likes