A budget friendly solution for fireproofing your PSA slabs!

Hey guys,
Over the past several months I’ve done a ton of research into finding the most economical way of protecting collectables as a whole especially PSA slabs which have very low melting points.

Without question, the number one thing collectors are looking for is the ability to fireproof/melt proof their collections. Not only that, they want to do it on a budget. I’ve learned this through many of my free security consultations as well as general feedback from this community and research into other ones (sports card guys, I’m looking at you).
Something I’ve looked at previously is something referred to as SWAS or the “safe within a safe” theory. In a nut shell the theory states if you take two UL class 350 safes (or containers) and nest them one inside the other then you should have enough insulation between the source of heat and your cards that they won’t melt. It’s a great theory, and one that is still being worked on. However, through much of my research I’m pretty sure I’ve found a much better alternative.

The reality is, a lot of companies strive to hit the UL class 350 label and nothing more. That label generally counts as “fireproof” and is good enough for the general market to have faith in. I’ve discussed media safes before, however there are very few manufactures that make these as they are a bit of a niche item, and as a result don’t sell as frequently. In addition, the price point on media safes is very high. Starting at 500 bucks for very small storage options, and little to no added security compared to a UL TL 15 safe. On top of this, media safes are targeted towards an industry that works almost exclusively with data, and computers. Sure, it is a big business but these same manufactures have overlooked another huge industry: the graded card community as a whole.

So after months and months of research, while I have not still found the single most perfect stand alone product, I have found a product that will adequately supplement any UL 350 rated container. Might I introduce the Transformer from FireKing.

So what is a “Transformer”? I’ve included the actual specification form from the manufacture here to discuss that. For those who would like a summary it’s pretty straightforward. The “Transformer” is actually a supplemental container made to be used in conjunction with a UL class 350 container or safe. The Transformer actually “Transforms” your current UL class 350 piece of equipment into a media safe (or class 125). Essentially it’s a cheap storage container that is further insulation from heat, keeping your cards well below their melting point. It’s actually fairly genius and compared to most safes, VERY affordable. I’ve found listings for the Tranformer on ebay and a couple of other sites for as little as $125 bucks.

I was lucky enough to find a website that was selling five of these bad boys, so I did the only thing I could and bought all of them. I’ve attached several photos below so please check them out.

All five containers (flat)All five containers (stacked)A bit closerLock and keyInterior lid and sealSemi-organized PSA slabs (about 60)Filled to capacity PSA slabs (about 75)Booster box storageToploader storage (100 count, one side)Collectable storage options are endless!

You can dump somewhere between 65 and 75 PSA slabs in each container, three booster boxes or HUNDREDS of toploaders or card saver ones into each Transformer, with room left over for desiccant packs. The best part is, these containers are just the right size to fit into a small UL TL-15 safe for both optimal security and fireproofing. Or for those who are very budget sensitive and need a solid fireproof option without the extra need of security might I suggest the SentrySafe SFW123DSB Fireproof Safe. Sentry actually has a UL classification on this safe, is just large enough to house the Transformer (according to their specifications) AND is crazy cheap, I’ve actually found the same safe at walmart for $100 bucks on shelf.

So pretty great right? Most of what the community has been looking for in one supplemental piece of equipment. So the next question is, what are the downsides? Well, aside from the fact that this container does not work as a standalone fire proof container it has to have a UL class 350 container/safe in order to operate. It is EXCEEDINGLY hard to find. I’ve found a few on ebay, and a couple more on very obscure sites I have never heard of (how I got mine). The manufacture that makes these has discontinued them and other companies that make similar products have done the same. So you are looking for anything used at this point. On the plus side, I have five of these things and don’t need them all. I’m happy to sell some to community members here if they want to PM me. I’m really not trying to make a sales pitch here, just stating I have more than I need.

So, I know you are feeling a bit let down that most manufactures no longer make these but fear not! I’ve recently gotten into contact with a company that makes something VERY similar to the Transformer! They actively make their product and I’ve requested samples to look at and review here for E4 as well as my Youtube channel. While I don’t want to give anything away, I will say that the other company I’ve reached out too makes a MUCH bigger media type container and is able to store OVER 250 PSA slabs!

But, that’s a review for another day. As for now, I’ll leave you with the Transformer as I continue the journey to find the most optimal way to secure and fireproof those lovely collections of ours.

16 Likes

As always, quality posts from you. Thanks for all of your hard work! Sending you a PM because I’m interested in purchasing one :wink:

1 Like

The real solution to this problem of fireproofing is to simply only collect water type Pokemon.

On a serious note, this is really useful information silver, thank you.

10 Likes

Absolutely fantastic write up, thanks @silversnorlax204 :blush:

I’ve tried to PM you, not sure if mine is working properly as I can’t see it in my PM inbox.
Could you let me know you have got it!

1 Like

Fantastic, message sent!

Yup, I got your PM’s and have responded!

Or a fire Pokémon so you can fight fire with Fire hihi

3 Likes

The man has spoken, haha! 11/10!

Great thread and one that needs more recognition, this is exactly what I’ve been looking for. I’m surprised the melting point of PSA slabs is so low, even lower than boiling water. I wonder what the melting point of booster packs, soft sleeves and toploaders are? I may have to do some experiments.

Over the last few years I’ve had my sealed packs and slabs in 30 minute fire proof cases and chests but it never occurred to me that they could still melt inside at such a low temperature. I have ordered a bigger 60 minute 248F rated safe and should be able to fit at least one 30 minute rated case inside to emulate a data safe. I may order a second safe but some of my stuff will probably just have to sit with only the main safe as protection. Unfortunately I live in a 1st floor flat and anything above the 53kg safe I ordered (when empty) would be too impractical to lift up the stairs, anything below would be light enough to steal.

There are so many variables with how far an actual fire would get but luckily the fire brigade is just a couple of streets away

2 Likes