Results for the "safe within a safe" theory.

Hi all, I’m back today not so much with a guide, but with a theory that we’ve kicked around on the forums before. As of a few days ago I actually published a video (the first in months) that covers what I want to discuss today. This post will be a continuation of that video, as we’ll be looking and testing what level of heat resistance we can expect by keeping a fire chest inside a container that would simulate a UL 350 class safe, while in a fire.

Let me break that down a little more clearly, here’s what I’m testing: Assume there is a fire, you have a safe, and inside that safe, is a fire chest. We are testing to see how the fire chest would do in this circumstance.

So how do we accomplish that? Put a safe inside a safe and have a bonfire? That would be nice if I had the funds. However I’m going to be doing a much more simplified version.

Hank Hill has got nothing on me.

SETTING UP THE TEST:

That’s right lads and lasses, I’ve got propane and propane accessories ready to go! This experiment will consist of a BBQ grill, a half hour rated sentry safe, one internal digital thermometer, one external digital thermometer, my neighbor believing I am crazy, and a ton of Pokemon related testing supplies to be monitored in the safe while it cooks.

Testing supplies are as follows:

• Single toploader (interior card sleeved)
  • Snap case (interior card NOT sleeved)
  • One touch magnetic holder (interior card sleeved)
  • Screw down holder (interior card sleeved)
  • Card saver one with the following interior configurations
    a. Gaming sleeve
    b. Double sleeved
    c. Single sleeved
  • Stack of card saver ones single sleeved (3-5 cards)
  • Gaming sleeve only cards
  • Single Raw card
  • PSA slab with no (exterior) sleeve
  • PSA slab with (exterior) sleeve
  • Individual booster pack
  • An entire booster box

I took these testing supplies as a part of community feed back of things that might be kept in a fire chest. So lets set up our test and explain how it’s going to work, as well as the hypothesis I had going into this.

HYPOTHESIS:

If a one hour UL 350 rated safe’s interior only reaches 350 degrees at a maximum, then a (half hour) 1550 temperature rated fire chest should be able to last at a minimum four times longer (1550 / 350 = 4.428). Additionally the rate of heat transfer should not exceed an internal temperature to the fire chest of about 90 (350 / 4 = 87.5).

ANALYSIS OF HYPOTHESIS:

I must admit, my hypothesis operates completely in a vacuum, and does not deal with a multitude of variables. Also, the hypothesis only takes numbers that we have verified either through UL or an independent claim made by a company (in this case, sentry safe). The division I do is based off of a simple proof of math, not by thermal dynamics or any degree of thermal engineering. To be blunt, I’m optimistically operating off of numbers that are simple to apply without a full understanding of how heat and heat transfer works. But we have to start somewhere.

THE TEST:

Lets put the safe on the grill and take a look inside. As we can see, all of our supplies are ready to go and in the lower right hand corner we have a digital thermometer that will measure the internal temp as we grill. It has the ability to measure up to 158 degrees before it fails, in theory we won’t come close to this number.

After we close up our supplies, we can lock the compression handle, as well as the original locking system in place. Now we can place our external temperature probe outside of the case. She’s all set up, and ready to get fired up.
For this test I’ll be lighting the grill as quickly as I can and then shutting the lid to the grill to trap as much heat as possible so I can simulate how an interior safe might function. I’ll be keeping a close eye on my external temperature probe to monitor and adjust the heat level as needed. I’ll also record my results every five minutes so we can see how the temperature fluctuates.

DATA GATHERED:

The spreadsheet with the testing data is here. I would like to make a few notes here about the data and some of the issues I encountered while testing.

First and foremost, windy day to do this, probably way too windy. While I only recorded the results for every five minute increment, the level of fluctuation was pretty ridiculous. The wind would typically push the heat point down into the 280’s for much of the test and as a result I was forced to continue to add as much heat as possible to maintain as close as I could to 350. My average temperature was around 325, but that was a recorded average. Actual average was probably much lower.

Next, I would like to take a look at the length of the test. While I would have loved to have done a four hour test to really try the hypothesis I had in mind, I opted for a shorter one hour cook time with a roughly half hour cool down time. I did this for three reasons: 1. I didn’t want to grill until midnight. 2. A one hour grill time should have easily given me favorable results, and opened the door to more testing. 3. I wanted a cool down time as this seems to be more realistic with a scenario a collector might actually encounter.

I really want to hit on the cool down time here. House fires don’t operate in a vacuum, your safe won’t go from an 1100 degree inferno to ideal room temperatures in an instant. Cool down should be considered for anybody who is serious about this. Your safe is going to be really hot to the touch after a fire I promise you won’t be able to open it right away.

RESULTS:

The moment we’ve all been waiting for. So after a 28 minute cool down time I popped the grill open and took a look at the safe. You can see what it looked like here. Not super pretty but it doesn’t need to be. I found that the key I had still was able to be inserted into the lock, however the actual locking mechanism itself had failed, meaning the case was just unlocked. Not a huge deal, but it seemed odd the metal piece had failed. The compression latch was still in place… time to take a look inside.

I have a more detailed breakdown of the individual testing results on my YouTube channel here. But as you can see, it didn’t go as well as I had hoped. The internal thermometer had actually failed which tells me the internal temperature had surpassed 158 degrees. Upon further review of the case I found that the interior seal of the case had actually come right off some time during the testing. I didn’t see a trace of glue residue which tells me the case might not have been manufactured properly from the start. I also took a look at the underside of the case that was the only direct heat contact surface. You can judge for yourself how it did. Another thing I noted while filming is that the case has several small “holes” in the case itself I’m sure it has something to do with releasing pressure. When the plastic underside melted, those became somewhat see through, to the point where I think there may have been direct exposure. Pretty lousy design if you ask me.

CONCLUSIONS:

So back to the drawing board right? Well, not so fast there are a lot of things that we can learn from here. First and probably the most important thing to learn here is that heat transfer can’t be defined as a simple ratio of degrees. The more I look into it, it actually appears that the exterior temperature a fire chest or safe can take really does not matter all that much. It’s about how long a safe/chest can sit in the heat. From my experiment I can assume that a half hour fire safe is just going to last a half hour even in “low” heat condition compared to a fire. This will be a great starting hypothesis for another test.

The next conclusion we can make is that some Pokemon collectibles will do far better than others. I would have bet the ranch that the shrink film on the booster box would have been the first to go, and the booster pack would have been unrecognizable. Turns out they do just fine in high heat conditions. Also raw cards in gaming sleeves do very very well, where as anything in plastic does not.

We can also conclude that sentry safe may not be the go-to brand we want when it comes to reliability. Both a mechanical locking failure and a rubber seal failure are pretty critical things. To be fair, this was cooked longer than its intended use, but even so it had no direct contact with the flame, I would expect more from sentry safe.

My last conclusion is pretty simple: I need to do more testing! I would say we figured out what we screwed up here on test number one. We need a way to actively measure the temperature inside the case. Weather conditions really should be favorable. And a new brand should be tested…

Thanks for reading guys! I’ll be posting more test results both here and on YouTube so keep an eye out for those!

18 Likes

What journal are you submitting the paper to? :open_mouth: :laughing:

1 Like

Lol, just here and YouTube. I promise you won’t see me in thermal mechanics monthly.

1 Like

PSA should also up their game with slabs they can withstand higher heat temps. I’m sure collector’s would pay more knowing that it can withstand better temps than they do now. Great experiment @silversnorlax204 . This content is gold and will definitly be utilized by many efour members, present and future.

How much do you want us to pay for graded cards? lol

Even if they offered a higher protection for more valuable cards it would mess up a lot of pricing and be unfair to older cards that were previously graded. Better to keep it all standard and not price out the population.

A higher heat resistance thermal plastic would be awesome to see, I just can’t imagine how much that might cost. Fun fact about plastic, it’s not actually a solid, it’s matter that is in a transitional state considered “soft” matter.

I’m going to continue testing these theories and see if I can hit a sweet spot with protection. I would love to take a continued look at heat transfer.

1 Like

I’m forced to agree, price point on cards would explode if they used a heat resistant slab.

However I disagree on PSA deeming it “fair” on previously graded slabs. If anything they would love to change to a new slab so people would rush to a new design on a re-slab. We saw it before years ago when they went to a newer thicker slab.

Interesting concept to purpose though on a new slab front. Probably nothing PSA will be considering but I mean hey we can be hopeful.

1 Like

Just a thought, reviews of SentrySafe had shown that the front faceplate would just pop right off. Doesn’t seem to be well designed. Pretty much everything pointed towards Firstalert for media.

Awesome video, glad you added new content. Definitely an interesting test, despite the fact that the PSA slabs got warped. Would love to see the option for heat resistant slabs.

Wishful thinking :stuck_out_tongue:

can you do one test with BGS case?

Interesting results and something I’ll have to digest a bit more and likely test for myself some day.

Perhaps my safe within a safe theory has 1 major issue. The safes actually need some amount of heat to become most effective. That is enough heat to activate their “rubber” seal. The seal is actually crucial as it is expands during a fire to seal the box completely shut as in this video. SentrySafe - Testing the Safe Chest - YouTube (3 minutes 10 seconds for where it shows that it sealed) This prevents hot air entering directly into the safe and requires a slow heat up over time through the walls of the safe.

The “holes” you mentioned aren’t actually holes but likely just the location where they added the insulation that sits sandwiched between the plastic layers. The outer plastic is meant to melt off during a fire. How SentrySafe Fire Resistance Works - YouTube

My best guess is that you either didn’t get hot enough to activate the expansion of the seal and ~350F air simply entered the safe through air gaps (concerning for my safe in a safe theory) or that you had a poorly seated or malfunctioning seal to begin with.

1 Like

I know my large outer liberty safe has palusol heat expanding seal on its doors which is said in that link to activate at 212 F and finalize at 250 F. I am not sure what sentry lines their safes with but I’d imagine it’d be in that range. If higher again that is concerning.

Thank you for sharing this information.

It makes you wonder whether trying to fireproof your collection is even worth it. Is there anything that can keep PSA cards below 150 degrees during a fire? I’m curious as to what others do to protect high end cards.

UL Data safes of 150 or lower are rated to keep your inside under it’s rated UL protection for the amount of time it specifies. If fires are a prime concern over theft I would go for a data safe.

2 Likes

I would love to “cook” a BGS case. If you have one you would like to send me, message me and I’ll test it.

So, a few things to note here with the first one being that my testing is fairly flawed. It runs off a hypothesis that’s not consistent with how thermal mechanic works. That’s not a bad thing, we had to learn as a community what does and does not work.

Not to give away too much information here but I’ve completed testing on a second safe with much different results using different controls. And those test results were favorable I would not abandon the safe within a safe theory just yet. I’ll have a write up on that eventually.

As for how sentry safe did, I don’t think the seal has to activate at a specific temp. The safe has a compression latch which should have been enough (as the safe is also water proof). Gaps in the seal due to lack of temperature does not seem likely. The prolonged exposure to heat I think is what really did the safe in, which is why we have the results we do on this test. Not to mention I don’t think sentry safe is all that great a brand, it’s carried pretty favorably by Walmart which tells me something.

Were learning as we go, and that’s not a bad thing. I appreciate the feed back!

1 Like

I’ve got a guide on that: www.elitefourum.com/t/safes-202-data-media-safes-and-what-they-accomplish/20872/1

1 Like

For me the probability of theft is much higher than fire damage, but it depends on where you live. Where you store your safe also mitigates heat damage. Since heat rises in a fire, storing a safe in the basement if you have one goes a long way. If you are like me, I built my safe recessed into the concrete walls of my basement. Slap that puppy behind something fire retardant and you are good to go.

This is the model I use.

www.ebay.com/itm/King-Edward-VII-Model-E40-UL-Rated-Home-and-Office-Fireproof-Safe/292505414712

1 Like