Testing the "safe within a safe" theory.

Hello again all!

Just a quick post from me this time. Something a few community members have learned from my safe buying guides and heat resistance testing is that PSA slabs may not do so well in a house fire, even if in a highly protective safe. So the question that arose from that discussion was: will a safe inside a safe protect them?

I think I’m going to attempt to test that theory. Using a sentry safe, several thermometers, and a BBQ grill that will simulate the internal temperatures of a UL rated safe.

Crazy I know.
But I’m thinking the test results will be really beneficial to the community at large as this is something that has never (to my knowledge) been tested.

Below I have some pictures of what I’ll be testing with as well as the materials I want to use for heat testing.

Sentry safeSentry safe (open)Testing materials
Materials from top left to bottom right are as follows:

• Single sleeved toploader- Snap case (no sleeve)
  • One touch magnetic holder (sleeved)- Screw down holder (sleeved)- Card saver one a. Gaming sleeve b. Double sleeved c. Single sleeved- Stack of card saver ones single sleeved (3-5 cards)- Gaming sleeve only cards- Card case pro protective slab cover- PSA slab with no sleeve- PSA slab with sleeve- Individual booster pack
    I’ll be posting in the guides section what results are as well as how the experiment was set up in much more detail but for now I need a favor from the community in regards to testing materials.

Are the testing materials I have sufficient? Do I need more materials? Less materials? Are there items you guys put in safes you want or need to see tested? Let me know!

15 Likes

That is very similar to the interior safe that I use and this will be awesome to see! You really are doing awesome work here.

I think you picked out a great selection of stuff to toss in my only recommendation coming to mind would be a few completely raw holo cards just to see if there are any effects to those. Ideally not stacked together and ideally you should spread this all out as much as possible.

Other things I keep in my personal interior safes are cash, birth certs, passports and things like that but honestly I’m not worried about those at all they would easily hold up at higher temps than the PSA slab did.

Just be sure when you pack the safe that you aren’t packing everything too tight. A single sheet of paper will ignite at ~451 but a ream of paper would require much higher temps to have issue. (That is why I am not so worried about my cash since it is such a thick stack in there :sunglasses: )

1 Like

Sentry safe is a great brand. I have a sentry safe. We have sold a lot of these at work over the years.

Thanks for doing this. I’m excited for the results. I would be curious to see how a sealed booster box holds up with the heat, but I don’t want to put you out $90

Are you going to post a video of the testing?!?

I was debating if I wanted raw cards in the safe. As a general control I probably will but my logic is this: if it’s at the point where you need to keep it in TWO safes then it’s probably much more than just a raw card. Can’t hurt though.

Also, yes I want to try spreading things out as that will give a better idea as to “will it melt?” I think I should also stack a few things as, lets face it, nobody spreads everything out in a safe. So some general testing there.

1 Like

I’ve got items similar to a wrapping on a booster box in there, we should see pretty straight forward results in terms of a melting point.

Don’t worry you won’t put me out anything lol. I’m lucky actually I have a buddy back in town that wanted to do this testing with me and he’s splitting it 50/50. Sadly I don’t have the spare income a lot of folks here are so fortunate to have but I’m happy to test what I can regardless, I just have my financial limits so I do what I can.

As for filming, I’m thinking about reviving the YT channel actually. Might be a good one to put up. I’m going to do a much more detailed write up here on efour though.

1 Like

Post a link and tag me when it’s uploaded. Thanks for doing this.

You’re like a mad team rocket scientist!

Keep up the good work and great tests, for your next test I would like to know what would happen to a Pokémon psa slab/card sent to space or in a vaccum like atmosphere. Let’s face it, we will eventually be in space so let’s plan for the future eh :wink:

Have you already tested the waterproofness of PSA slabs in the event of a flood?

Thanks for your experiments and guides! It’s really interesting and informative, love it :grin:

I used to watch all your videos back when you were active on YT . Would be great to see a new video! Take care

Jason, thank you for taking money from your pocket to make this contribution. I personally use the safe-within-a-safe method so this information is useful. Send me your paypal so I can send $10 your way as thanks? It’s nice to see such high quality posts :blush:

I concur. Pm me…

I’ve got new videos posted to the channel if you want to watch a follow up on the research I’ve done here. Thanks for watching!

1 Like

Hey man, thank you so much! I’ll put every dime I get towards more testing!

Gary, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it. Thank you!

I just donated to this young man to aid him with his testing that could benefit us all. There’s several more tests he wants to set up so let’s all help.
I trust this is within the rules or at least Scott could make an exception.
Here’s the PayPal addy to contribute to: silverphoenix204@aol.com

2 Likes