1st edition heavy base set pack

Thoughts on what the value of these should be at now? 1st ed base has seen such a needed rise these past two months that even light packs have gone up a lot in value. Do not really see many heavy packs selling around but heard Leonhart bought his for 10k. The chase for a 1st ed psa 10 charizard is intense and the possibility pulling one yourself cannot be topped!

I’m not sure but given where individual card prices are now $10k+ wouldn’t surprise me at all.

I think I’ve/we’ve seen 16 1st edition heavy Base packs that have been opened in the last year (12 in a PokeRev box opening, 2 by LeonHart, 1 by PokemonRadar, and 1 by KantoShark) and amazingly enough 3 Charizards were pulled (although none that were able to grade as a PSA 10… not to mention one was lost in the mail). With the way the value of the set is rising I don’t think we’re going to be seeing something like that output again.

4 Likes

Ya could not agree more! The fact that there is a chance to have a 85k++ card in there makes the thrill of having one that much more exciting. Also having the chance of pulling one or multiple pulling starters if psa 10 (averaging around 2k a piece), red/yellow cheeks (4k, 2k respectively), and all the expensive uncommons make it that much more appetizing in its overall value.

1 Like

@maverick23, Funny you mention it, a Yellow Cheeks just sold for $3.1k on eBay today (the previous sale had been for $2.4k).

4 Likes

Haha even better! Thanks for sharing that!

I have one and I would absolutely love to open it one day

1 Like

Ya I have a few myself and hope to open them one day too!

That shit still hurts to hear. Not a fan of leon but damn do I pity him losing that zard

Did he not insure the package? I’d definitely be declaring the value at psa 10 if I were shipping that card to a grading company

well, he probably did insure it but he never confirmed. still, i’ve not dealt with losing raw cards in the mail. not sure how he could prove his insured value, even if he did insure it for the full value of the card as a PSA 9? he did mention he had enlisted the FBI to help investigate the lost parcel?! talk about some personal connections there. that’s what happens when you have a large channel with a national audience i suppose.

Leonhart has more to open (maybe 7 or so). ZandG is sitting on 12 i believe based on that video from a while ago. we know before the recent spike they were selling at $8-10k monthly or so. Sealed 1st ed base is hard to navigate because of the zard being so far from everything else, but looking at box prices and current light pack prices it doesn’t add up…and maybe it never will?

Sealed Box - $100k - $125k
Light Packs - $2k x24 = $48k
Leaving $52k - $77k for 12 heavy packs…
lets say packs are an everyday sale at $10k (undervalued simply based on the experience you go through opening one of these)…thats $120k per box on its own

Light packs at 2k are now a steal with the potential value in them.

These boxes should be $250k it makes no sense to me. This includes the heavy historical premium I add to it, but something needs to change before every 1st ed base box gets open. That heritage box is an easy money maker for anyone willing to take the time to do a box break on it.

This sucks because i really want a box, but can’t pull the trigger yet if ever. Also, full disclosure, I have one pack left that will be opened hopefully soon :blush:

2 Likes

If, and I repeat it’s a big IF the current PSA 9/10 prices hold for the top tier commons and uncommons, then yes the $2k light packs look like as steal. As long as you don’t pull a terrible trainer, you could at least break even if you can pull one starter or it’s evolution.

i agree a sealed box should be at least 150k, if not 200k, possibly 250k at this point, based on valuations of the packs sold individually. i think there are people who understand the value but cannot enter the market because of limitations in funding. i, myself, am in that camp. lol. such is life. also, people who can enter that market at 250k have a lot of other options, so the market trading value might not attain 250k for a bit. BUT, i would say pay the 10k for the heavy packs is an attractive alternative, as that is affordable for most, and i do believe once more people catch onto the attractiveness of guaranteed 1st ed base holo in a pack, these should become even more desirable. i personally prefer to pay for 12 guaranteed holo packs which is less room to store and has more flexibility of splitting up eventually, rather than a box. it’s difficult to think when i break the seal on that, i can never go back. that’s just me.

Dave and Adam sold a 1st ed box last week for 120k and just got another one. Betting that one won’t be let go for less than 150k if these common/uncommon PSA 10 prices become the new norm.

i think as long as the potential to break even or make a gain on the 1st ed light goes up, or the possible combination increases noticeably, and it doesn’t have to be significant statistically, just enough for people to have a reaction to it emotionally, the packs should increase accordingly.

DA just listed one for 200k and this box is in rough shape.

Someone in the Virbank FB group listed a bunch of boxes and one was a 1st Edition Base box, listed for $200k.

The history of Base Set suggests that individual card prices increase first and then the sealed product prices eventually increase accordingly, but sometimes there is a delay. Definitely an opportunity to be had for people with capital who recognize that the value of the sealed product hasn’t necessarily moved as much as the prices of the individual cards yet.

I don’t go on Facebook but that’s probably Dave and Adam guy Joe Steet.

1 Like

Joe Street…

1 Like