1st Edition Base Set, or Shadowless Base Set

Do you prefer to collect 1st Edition Base Set, or Shadowless Base Set, and why?

Iā€™m pretty sure that anyone who collects Shadowless over 1st edition, does because they either completed or canā€™t afford 1st edition.

1 Like

I actually prefer shadowless from an aesthetic point of view.
Likewise I prefer no symbol error jungle holos over first ed.

8 Likes

LOL that is quite the assumptionā€¦

Like @peacock said, I picked them over 1st from an aesthetic standpoint. Iā€™ve always liked the overall look of the base set without the stamp, but with the rich color of the 1stED.

On top of that, PSA labels look waaaaaay cooler with ā€œShadowlessā€ on it than ā€œ1st Editionā€.

Just my reasoning for collecting them :blush:

2 Likes

I have no graded 1st Ed Base cards but I have enough Shadowless to buy a complete PSA 10 1st Ed Set if I were to sell them soā€¦

2 Likes

Me too;)
Shadowless is the best non-secret collectible.
No Symbols are the best secret value collectibleā€¦the real treasure.

2 Likes

Is a 1st edition stamp really that ugly to everyone that says they like the aesthetics better?

Donā€™t get me wrong, collect what you like, but it seems stange that a little ink is deemed ugly enough that youā€™d rather collect the second tier set as the sole reason over the first.

6 Likes

I find Shadowless to be more charming. It has a nice story. Iā€™d rather have a 1st Edition card probably but Iā€™m content with Shadowless because they are very similar. Like @swolepoke said, the colors are the same rich (and far superior) pallet as was on 1st Edition.

1 Like

As a kid I had majority unlimited cards. I knew what shadowless was and I had a few shadowless cards that I thought were pretty cool and I put them in a special place in my binder. But I had at best two 1st ed base cards.

So when I grew up and started making disposable income, I bought the cards I perceived to be the rarest and scarcest that I wanted as a kid (1st edition).

Well, I stand corrected.

Never really looked at it from an aesthetic prospective, since the difference
is so minor as Cullers stated.

Lol no one said ugly. I donā€™t think anyone here finds the stamp even remotely ugly.

But yes, Base Set Shadowless, imo looks the overall most appealing. With other sets thereā€™s always a 1stED stamp on the left side, and a set symbol on the right side, which gives the card a sense of balance.

So with Shadowless not having a stamp or symbol + the nice color, I think just to some, it looks overall more appealing as a card.

And like I said, the PSA label is much cooler as far as the text thatā€™s on it.

Idk, to each their own right? Lol

3 Likes

I really like both, but it is an expense issue for me. I cant afford to dump money into first edition holos, but I have a complete rare-common set. Iā€™m now focussed on the shadowless holos. Although I do need a first edition blastoise o have all the starters as a 7 grade.

shadowless is attractive because:

1. cheaper
  2. same beautiful, tonal artwork (Iā€™m sorry, but unlimited looks like a bad bleach job)
  3. sophisticated - people need to know a bit of the history, so it adds an aura to those collecting it, right?
  4. understated - if you say you only collect 1st edition, itā€™s like an art collector that only collects monets and Picassos, you come off as just rich
  5. rarity - as of now, it seems shadowless has a lower pop so it is a harder chase, especially the PSA 10
  6. potential value - last year this time, you can get some PSA 10s for about $300, right now they are still hovering at around 700-1000, which is SUPER undervalued, and many people perceive its growth ceiling to be great
  7. to be different - this sort of ties into the sophistication part; people like to feel like they are unique, even in collecting; this is just psychology of things; Iā€™m not ashamed to say I love the same pokemon that 10 million others like, but many hate to admit this so they try to find a niche

I am the one that collects shadowless because I donā€™t have enough capital to get the 1st edition and, from an investment standpoint, Iā€™m hoping it will grow faster than 1st editionā€¦

I think that about covers it. only my opinionā€¦

4 Likes

Shadowless hasnā€™t matured yet. As 1st Editions become more and more scarce, it will grow in popularity.
Nostalgia-wise, itā€™s also a fairly niche set relative to 1st Edition. Few people remember ā€˜Shadowlessā€™ being a legitimate set when they were kids, but everyone remembers the 1st Edition stamp.

Iā€™m 50/50.

1st ed is a must because of their noriety and slow but steady rise in price.

Shadowless is a must because they are extremely undervalued with high potential for a heavy price increase down the road (unless Gary unleashes his factory sized warehouse of stored product :stuck_out_tongue:).

1 Like

I agree with your reasoning. I personally like that the central highlight of the card is the specimen. Itā€™s subtle, but with the clean look of shadowless cards still with the full saturation of color like 1st edition cards, I slightly prefer shadowless cards.

I have both. Sometimes I look at the simpler Shadowless version and it looks more clean, subtle and simple; compared to the stamped one. Obviously the stamped version is a must(even though 1st edition and Shadowless cards are the same). The ā€œShadowlessā€ name also sounds and feels more aesthetically pleasing, to me. But if I had to choose, Iā€™d go with Unlimited.

1 Like

I prefer the look of the cards without the stamp, as well as having a monetary boundary. I do have roughly 60% of 1st edition base, but none of the holos. Maybe one day.

1st = 1st

I have an equal amount of both 1st ed and shadowless. Both were rumors back in the day. Occasionally someone had a Shadowless card. 1st Edition was completely non-existent.

I still have a visceral reaction when I see 1st ed base or shadowless cards. They are the most historic sets in the hobby.

Ultimately 1st will always be 1st. Itā€™s more ubiquitous. Shadowless is always going to have an acquired taste = niche. While I love both, that is the reality.

3 Likes

So which one do you like more, Scott?