1st Edition Base Set, or Shadowless Base Set

I love both shadowless and 1st edition but 1st edition is definitely my favorite of the two. There is a great thing about shadowless though… shadowless can not be faked. 1st edition on the other hand can be faked if some crook were to put a 1st edition stamp on a shadowless card. (Stole this from Gary in his leonhart video)

1 Like

I would say 1st ed edges it out. The 1st ed base stamp has variance to it, which adds another layer of collectiblity. I know guys who go after grey stamps, thins, etc.

Also all 1st Ed base cards are shadowless, so you get the layout as well. But I really like both sets; both are top 5 easily.

3 Likes

I feel like a lot of collectors don’t realize that all (English) 1st edition base set cards are shadowless. I know a guy who owns a card shop in Phoenix and he likes to argue this with me haha.

Machamp would like to have a word with you two.

Shadowed base set 1st edition was the first master set I completed in PSA 10. :ninja:

2 Likes

I clearly remember the moment when my best friend at the time, agreed with me on trading a 1st Edition Holographic (Shadowless) Machamp for an Unlimited Holographic Zapdos to some kid, because it was a great deal. We also believed that the Machamp was fake. Mind you, this was 19 years ago. These cards did come around every now and then, but almost everyone I knew wanted to get rid of them for the same reason; they were believed to be fake.

I personally thought that the artwork on the Shadowless stood out, as opposed to the Unlimited version. There was something about that bleached look.

I enjoyed reading one of the responses to this thread that stated something about the balancing of the 1st Edition symbol on the left side of the card, with the lack of a symbol on the right side, and how it is simply pure human psychology. 3 pointer for that one.

I like both 1st Edition and Shadowless, although the name “Shadowless” seems a little darker, and more appealing to me.

If you ever see someone who does not have a shadow, you know something’s wrong…

I like 1st edition over shadowless. I would love to get a shadowless set someday too after I finish 1st edition. I love that the shadowless border wasn’t used on the other 1st edition wotc sets. Just to add to how base set is exemplary as it gets.