Higher grade or first edition?

Let’s say $3000 buys you either a PSA 10 Unltd Base Zard, or a PSA 7 First Ed Zard. Which do you take? And is what you choose for value, personal taste, or other?

I am torn on this one personally, but I think I go First Ed since…First Ed, but passing on a 10 makes me feel a little stupid. Generally curious how the collectors who have been doing this for years think. Thanks for indulging me.

1 Like

In this specific case I´d go for the first edition as it´s literally the most iconic card in the hobby. In almost every other case I´d go for the better condition (higher grade).

6 Likes

No question: First Edition Base!

6 Likes

100% 1st Ed base

6 Likes

I could debate the merits of higher grade vs 1st edition when it comes to other WOTC sets but…

Not when it comes to Base. 1st edition Base is just too special, it’s set very far apart from Unlimited Base.

4 Likes

They actually are $3k now

My choice would be 1st base all day, everyday. It is the Alpha set of Pokémon.

3 Likes

This precisely. In most cases, I want a crisp front on my card with as minimal blemishes as possible, but in the Charizard camp it’s just more iconic and better value to have in the long run. Though I usually only would want PSA 8 and up in my personal collection, I’d be alright with a PSA 7 1st edition Charizard for sure.

2 Likes

1st edition for the historical significance.

2 Likes

I’m probably in the minority here but I would go with the PSA 10 Unlimited. Not a huge fan of PSA 7 cards in general.

1 Like

I’d probably buy the unlimited 10. Valuewise, I’d say 1st edition as I see more people dropping money on it. I see potential in unlimited though.

1 Like

1st Edition Base, without a doubt for me.

2 Likes

1st Ed is objectively more valuable in raw condition, and even a PSA 7 is more scarce than a NM unl zard.

So, I would go with 1st Ed, as its value is not mostly dependent on its grade, but because of its actual rarity.

2 Likes

I collect cards first, the condition of the card is secondary in my mind.

3 Likes

Me personally I rather have 1st edition even ungraded cards over 9 or 10 unlimited cards. Maybe I’m dumb but I rather have a PSa 5 1st edition or raw in that quality over a higher grade unlimited and this goes for any set not just base but that’s just me and I like the card over the money. The card feels naked or out of place without the little first edition stamp. I know it’s dumb but I grew up with 1st edition and loved it from first site as a kid

2 Likes

I would pick rarity over condition as long as the card isn’t damaged. Light played or better I will pick the 1st ed every time.

2 Likes

I’m glad I’m not the only one that doesn’t mind light played. I just don’t get ones with crease’s or bends or significant damage. Some back whitening is fine by me as long as front is clean or very close

1 Like

Big brain opinion. Light played and gem mint cards look the same in a binder.

2 Likes

1st edition (or shadowless) is aways going to win out for me with base just because of how much better I like the shadowless card design. I like the more classic look without the shadow, and the colors are so much richer and more accurate. With later WotC sets, when we’re just talking about a stamp, then I don’t care so much.

2 Likes

1sd ed all day, grade can suck it

3 Likes

1st edition I take as well

1 Like