1st edition base set Charizard PSA 7 price check

Hello, thanks in advance for your help. Just a quick disclaimer that this is my first post and I would appreciate any constructive feedback.

I’ve tried to search on eBay recent sales but there don’t seem to be too many. The ones that jump out at me is the one that includes Venusaur and Blastoise for $2300, and one with just Venusaur for $2025. Then I also see some sales for just the Charizard around the $2k range.

The reason I ask is I have the chance to buy one for $2k, but looking at the recent sales on eBay for those lots makes me nervous that I am overpaying. That in addition to there being an auction that ended today with a PSA 8 being sold for just under $2.6k (https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F382541971040). Would love to hear everyone’s thoughts on this!

well lets go back approximately one month and look at all the sales.

$2400
$1910
$2256
$2200
$2050
$2310
then the ones you mentioned.

with that data $2000 is a VERY fair price and is actually more on the lower side. sometimes yes the cards do go for cheaper but as you see from the results thats not usually the case. if another one came up for auction you are probably looking at $2000-$2150. if someone is selling the card with other cards like you mentioned that doesn’t mean they are going to get a higher price all the time. as the person bidding probably is just looking at the charizard and will get the other cards as a nice bonus. I’ve never seen a listing where they include multiple cards actually sell for at market price of what all of the cards would be worth. its just lazy people listing them that can’t take the time to make more money and sell them separate. lets take a look at the 8s for the last month…

$2800
$2900
$3100
$3100

so that 8 that sold at $2600 was a incredibly good price as you can see and that doesn’t normally happen. basically don’t hesitate if you like it buy it later on down the road your going to wish you bought it at 2k lol and as you see 2k is a good price.

3 Likes

Yea, last I checked 2000 is very fair. That’s where the base price has been for a while. Right now it is a buyers market so 2000 should be seen as a good price in my opinion. I got the PSA 7 blastoise and venusaur for 382 and 340 respectively as separate purchases a few months back.

2 Likes

I would personally just buy a 8 for slightly more. I don’t really understand the small price difference here.

$2000 is fair, but if you can get a 8 for 30% more it’s a no brainer IMO.

1 Like

I think as of now, price point of a 7 and 8 are very close and like what @poken00b88 said, getting an 8 could be more worth it due to the small price difference. I strictly collect PSA 7 1st edition cards so if you are looking to save a couple of hundred to one thousand dollars to get other 1st edition cards (like what I did) it may not be that bad a choice as well. A 7 is still a NM card and will look pretty decent in person, just make sure you get one with the condition that suits your taste :blush:

Shameless plug … you can usually get a good feel for the market by analyzing the data on my site:
pokemonprice.com/CardDetails/73864578-8b54-4422-a77f-96601c47a549/charizard-holo-1st-edition

I’d buy an 8, since November they’ve come down a bit while the 7s have stayed fairly flat over the same time period.

6 Likes

Thanks for all of the valuable input! I feel smarter already :blush:

1 Like