1/1 Magic The Gathering card "The One Ring" - It was pulled, graded PSA 9

So this is the “Onion Ring:rofl:

2 Likes

It will probably never be found and will be doomed to sit in storage forever in some investor’s basement.

As a side note, you can make any of the serialized cards 1 of 1s if you amass all of them and rip them up a la Kaiba’s strategy for monopolizing the Blue Eyes!

3 Likes

Couldn’t you then just adapt your collecting goal from “all eevees” to “all non-serialized eevees?” I don’t see how that would be a big deal at all. Regardless, no reasonable collector would think your collection is any less complete for lacking a 1/1 serialized card. From a collecting perspective, I think it’s totally reasonable to treat 1/1s as if they don’t exist – because they’re not merely difficult to obtain, but (potentially) impossible to obtain.

7 Likes

It’s 50/50 odds: you either pull it or you don’t :joy:

5 Likes

A healthy amount of 10/10 in pokemon please. I love an almost impossible challenge.

I am excited to see the price charts for sealed packs before and after the 1 of 1 ring is pulled.

Once the packs are out of stock at a retail level, holding packs will just be a game of hot potato

13 Likes

I dont even collect mtg and will be picking up some cards from this set as i love lotr but the 1/1 kinda sucks as the card looks amazing and id be happy for it to even be a common instead of 1/1.

3 Likes

Big brain plan would be to make a good looking proxy and claim you pulled it, thus crashing the market so you can hoard as many packs as you can to obtain the one true ring.

12 Likes

Love the LOTR theme, and think having 100X amount of dwarven, men & elvish rings is cool. Could inspire communicating with others with those rings to have some fun with the lore.

1/1 Ring of Power is dumb IMO. I personally don’t enjoy 1/1 of anything in TCG’s as it’s still a printed card.

But, that’s also only my opinion. If you like it, more power to ya :blush:

1 Like

Hasbro trying everything to stay out of the landfill.

4 Likes

It’s cool that someone does have a chance to pull it and it isn’t some gift to a celebrity or something.

1 Like

I think it’s pretty cool to be honest. I like the escalating variations with rarity and how they’ve tied the story into the set through other ring cards as well. The “one of one ring” art is really nice as well, it’s unique and stands out without being too much.

It does seem a little bit desperate from MTG, but given the direction and state of the market why not go all in on collecting and variants.

3 Likes

Its really cool, but once its pulled the chase is over. If it doesn’t get opened (or even put into boxes :rofl:) then it still seems cool, but after that I can’t really see collectors wanting to purchase. But I guess that is the purpose, get people to break more than normal to chase.

1 Like

Disclaimer: Never bought/owned a Magic card in my life. Mild LotR fan.

I’m a big fan. It’s ultra thematic (possibly the best possible reason in any franchise for a 1/1), it looks cool, it’s available in other rarities so it’s of no issue to players, (we can only assume) it’s being fairly distributed and could be life changing for some random kid.

I honestly can’t get why anyone would be complaining about it.

1 Like

arent sigs a form of 1 of 1?

technically, sigs and/or doodles are also a form of alteration IMO

1 Like

this is so evil. I love it

2 Likes

As someone who also doesn’t like 1/1s, this is a weird reason to not like them. I don’t like them due to manufactured rarity feeling like a cash grab. Why does it matter if a collector never wants to sell it tho?

This is probably not completely serious, but honestly this is how I feel about 1 of 1s. I feel like if only one person owns all prints of a single card, it kind of just feels the same as a card that never got officially released to me. I’m not sure why, though, because that’s just an arbitrary line my mind draws.

Relying on 90s baseball tactics to sell packs. That’ll definitely turn out well long term lol

3 Likes