Zorloth's Collection

I’m probably one of the few people who prefers early EX Series holos to the exs lol. Tough to beat rookie cards from the scarcest sets in Pokemon TCG history, sets that just so happened to have abnormally low holo pull rates!

1 Like

Honestly the sheer art quality is what makes me agree with you. Take a look at sceptile from RS vs the ex counterpart from tmta. No contest

1 Like

@zorloth, Thanks for sharing your awesome collection. I always enjoy seeing how people organize their binders and your Dex-binder is a really cool idea, never seen quite something like it. On top of that, TRR is one of my favourite sets so I was already freaking out right at the start ;-). Excited to see what you are posting next!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing @zorloth. Awesome collection! I remember being a kid and really disliking gen 3 cards when they came out. Boy do I regret not giving them a closer look. They are beautiful and unique to Pokémon’s history.

1 Like

@zorloth, I love love love that pidgeot Expedition holo and Raikou ex! Do you have a personal favorite of your graded gen-mint 10s?

1 Like

Thank you! And that’s tough – I’d probably have to go with Lapras or Raikou. I had both of those cards as a kid, so I have some nostalgic attachment to those two in particular. I also really love my Ruby Aggron 10 – first appearance of Aggron and I LOVE the art on it.

1 Like

Those are both great cards! For that ex series I love the holo trail that follows Sneasel’s double scratch attack depicted in the artwork. Anyways great work! & yeah, I’d hold on to that Aggron for those reasons!

1 Like

Love your collection, thru the years I got more appreciation for the ex series. I have regrets I never collect them in the beginning because it looks so different then wotc era. but nice to look at it.

2 Likes

You can always start today!

4 Likes

Thank you very much :blush:

And as Teraz said: it’s never too late to start collecting it!

3 Likes

I’m working on it very slowly, But I need alot of time. I have a big list from what I’m looking for. But I need to finish my current buy thread before starting a new one I believe. Or I prefering to see that happening :blush:

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure you’re allowed to have multiple buy threads, but you’re only allowed to bump one every week. You could also just edit your existing WTB thread to include your new wants, which is usually the way to go.

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

First time seeing this, very awesome @zorloth!

1 Like

Small collection update. I decided to start cross-collecting CGC 9.5s. I’ve found that the quality isn’t meaningfully different from PSA 10s, and I was pleasantly surprised by how the slabs look and feel in person. Here are my new additions to my sets; which are no longer only PSA 10 sets, but “gem mint sets:”

The Deoxys isn’t part of my main sets, but it’s a card that I really love. It has fantastic art and is the ONLY exclusively non-holo ex in the entire English TCG. I’m trying to also get the P4 Sceptile, Chimecho, and Grovyle in PSA 10 since those are also exclusively non-holo. Not to mention that the pull rates on the POP Series sets were hilariously bad and the print runs were tiny compared to normal sets. So the Deoxys ex in particular is a card that is actually rare. So I’m very happy to have acquired it and to add it into my collection.

The CGC 9.5s are all cards I graded myself. I do have a CGC 9.5 Ampharos ex on the way, which will be my first already-graded CGC purchase. Excited to add that one to my set, too.

I’m trying to figure out how to display my raw mint EX master sets in all of their mintiness. Will also be scanning the rest of my PokeDex set soon and posting that within the coming weeks.

Thanks for viewing/reading!

15 Likes

Some random collection additions since last time I posted (past 2 months):

Been spending some of my stray ABU/CK store credit. I have a very lofty ambition of eventually completing NM raw sets of Alpha, Beta, and Unlimited so I can display them side by side in a binder (in the way people sometimes do with Base set). This is a very long-term goal, but I like to tell myself that these were purchased with that in mind haha.

I’m currently in the process of saving up my store credit to purchase a NM piece of Alpha power. I’m not quite there yet, but I’m hoping to acquire a piece of Alpha Power (likely a mox) sometime within the next couple months!

Speaking of Power, my Timetwister returned from CGC:

I got it graded so I can display it. It’s nothing particularly special – it’s a heavily played piece of Unlimited power. But it was my first “major” MTG purchase ($125 IIRC – which at the time felt like a lot lol) and so it holds a special place in my heart.

Next up is a purchase I made for my gem mint graded early EX sets – there’s just one issue: it’s not gem mint. BGS totally misgraded it, IMO. The one in my binder set is significantly nicer lol. So I’ll probably end up selling it. But for the mean time, it’ll serve as a placeholder in my set.

A random buy:

Was an unexpected auction win, but I’m very happy to add it to my collection nonetheless!

Also got these guys as part of a trade with another E4 member:

They don’t advance my collecting goals at all, but these are among my favorite e-Series arts. So I’m happy to add them to the random portion of my collection lol.

Last; some MTG sealed product that I got with credit. Nothing particularly noteworthy, but Innistrad and Zendikar are two of my favorite sets of all time so I’m very happy to also add these to the random portion of my collection:

Next up: (hopefully) a piece of NM Alpha power. I also have a ton of awesome stuff at CGC, including the holos/exs I pulled from the Ruby packs I recently opened (Magmar ex, Scyther ex, Swampert, Hariyama, and Manectric). So if those get 9.5s, then that will be some great progress for my sets.

Thanks for looking!

17 Likes

Awesome collection @zorloth, I collected many of those ex era reverses when I was a kid. Most are in Heavily Loved condition haha

1 Like

Thank you!! I did, too. I’m not sure how it happened, but not a single one of my childhood holos or reverses is NM. Crazy how condition preservation is a totally foreign concept to most child collectors! I just loved shiny cardboard lol.

1 Like

@zorloth, amazing pickup’s! we have such similar tastes - even when it comes to MTG!
Really fantastic holos there, the flareon and torkoal are my favs

Man that Zendikar box brings back major memories! It takes me back to the big pre-release events they used to hold for each set. They would be like 300+ people events in hotel ballrooms and college campuses. Dream Wizards ran the big events in the mid atlantic and people would drive from all over the DC metro area to sling cardboard. The Zendikar prerelease is such a fond nerdy memory of mine - thanks for making me reminisce.

Best of luck with the CGC grades, and best of luck hunting down that Alpha power. It’s no small feat

1 Like

Thank you!!!

Oh man, I fucking loved Zendikar. I started playing right around Conflux/M10, so only shortly before Zendikar. And Zendikar put Alara block to shame. The art was beautiful, the mechanics were polished, the power level was high (but not too high), and the flavor was on point. Such an amazing block.

And I appreciate it! CK has quite a few pieces of power in stock, which I really hope is still the case when I’m done saving up lol. I’ve been very tempted to just get a Dual, but I’ve owned Alpha duals before so it wouldn’t really feel that special to me. Whereas I’m not even sure if I’ve touched a piece of Alpha power, let alone owned one, so acquiring one would be a momentous feat for me.

1 Like

Awesome additions Zorloth! Glad to see some Magic cards in there. Zendikar and Innistrad are definitely some of the best Magic sets. Both of them have really strong themes and I remember Innistrad in particular having a fantastic draft format.

1 Like