Your seller isn't your investment advisor

Just an off-my-chest, I know E4 isn’t r/PokemonTCG and you guys don’t do this but…

If you buy a PTCG product from someone on eBay, IG or wherever, please do not continue to message them for weeks afterward asking shit like “do you think this will go up in value?”, “when should I sell this?”, “hey I bought this off you 2 weeks ago how much do you think I should sell it for now?”.

As I type this, I have a guy on IG writing me his entire life philosophy on “Pokemon investing” after I sold him a base set booster pack about 2 months ago. The first question he asked me was literally “how much profit do you think I can expect if I sell it right now?”.

C’mon, man.

51 Likes

How great would it be to be able to reply to the guy, “Dude, I fleeced you on that purchase! You way overpaid!” :rofl:

40 Likes

And then get a PayPal dispute started minutes after for “item not received as described” :joy:

31 Likes

sweatiness abounds

2 Likes

You do know you can just have a conversation with them right?

3 Likes

My favorite is when people message me on ebay: “I’ll buy this card if you make a video about it”.

26 Likes

Just link them the Illustrator, and tell them you’ve already made the video, they just need to buy it :blush:

11 Likes

If I buy a card will you make a video about it?

Please do this once.

“Hey everybody, this is S-M-Pratte making a video for pastypokecollector42069 so he’ll buy this PSA 10 1st Edition Bulbasaur for $$30,000”

Video is exactly 12 seconds long.

12 Likes

Better yet, make a genuine video about the card, then raise the price 25%.

4 Likes

Block him.

But maybe tell him nicely first that you are not his financial advisor. Then if he keeps on going …

1 Like

@nightsy, ended up just saying I wasn’t sure and left it at that. If he was the only one I’d not have posted the rant, but he’s now the 5th person in the last couple of months to do it - it’s pretty shameless and I feel second hand embarrassment when it happens!

1 Like

Went to a Müller Markt yesterday and some 40-50y/o wanted to preorder 1000 booster boxes things are weird man.

They told him they only have 4 boxes of vivid voiltage in whole bavaria and he got half a box

2 Likes

This happened to me. Sold some Yugioh cards to a guy, mentioned that I was getting rid of my collection to put it into Pokemon. He asked me so many questions about how he can invest in Pokemon. Sent me pictures of the most absolutely random Pokemon collection. He couldn’t care less about the cards. Was just flipping. I wonder how many people are out there just like him.

1 Like

Block

1 Like

Just tell the buyer to look for one of those sellers who puts INVEST with a chart emoji in the title of every one of their listings and IG posts. I’m sure they’ll get good advice.

12 Likes

Best way? Give them brief, and TERRIBLE advice! :grinning:

Tell them that you have insider information and that in about 3 months it is going to double in value and then ignore any further questions.

“Yeah dude, steam siege slabs are the way to go” followed by a block

Just tell them that there is nothing better to invest in than everything else you have listed.

1 Like