Your pokemon team of one type

My wife and i were playing with the idea of having a team of only same type pokemon, kinda like gym leaders, and i thought i would be fun to ask the same here. So if you were restricted to only pokemon that share a type, what would it look like? It can consist of your favourite pokemon or pokemon you consider strong but i’d like to hear your reasoning why you chose that exactly team :slight_smile: i made some more limits for myself and picked everything inside one generation and didn’t pick any typing doubles since i got more variability that way while still getting to pick only pokemon that i really like. I’m presenting my team (surprisingly built around poison) with cards but you can so it with text only or any way you like, looking forward to seeing what kind of teams and why people would like to have!

14 Likes

I remember I once did this before, about four years ago. So here is the team I picked at the time with Psychic-Type. :wink:

But to also do a new one with Poison-Type:

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

It would be either water or psychic, all my main 6 are these types except for Persian and Porygon, but they are pretty cosmic and psychicy.

But I’ll go with water, if I were a leader who has this requirement. I also like the idea of this fitting with the more, “this is the most badass fully evolved leader type team” rather than what might be more a personality troupe. (hence no slowpoke)

Blastoise as he’s my starter, and suits me well. My particular Blastoise has a fondness for body slamming all who are in reach and smiling as he does it. Golduck as he’s in my six favorite (the dream team as it were), and is an extraordinary badass with hypnosis, psychic, surf, and ice beam. Starmie is amazing, another bonus point for water/psychic. Always loved Starmie, and for those who remember, was basically a god in gen 1/2 games. A pseudo legendary to be sure. Equally incredible is Kingdra, no weaknesses, can double team you to death then watch all enemies die.

And well, Slowbro and Slowking, because… well, you get the picture. Also, they are absolute monsters in battle. Profound defense, profound special. So beastly, they don’t need speed.

In the right hands this is an unbeatable team and all would cry for mercy at their onslaught.

6 Likes

Blastoise, Gyarados and Lapras would be staples but the other three spots are interchangeable

5 Likes

@brendantheclayboy @LM23 some solid water type teams, i was pretty sure what the last members were in brendan’s team even without scrolling past first members (and they are otherwise understandable too with that psychic typing to counter those overpowered poison types)

@quuador also went with straight power with those legendary/mythical pokemon, and could also guess your first choise for the second team and was happy too see that you are also a person of culture with that sixth pick!

2 Likes

Grass is my favorite type in spite of it being generally a weaker type competitively. These are some of my favorite grass Pokémon at the moment. I tried to limit myself to one starter, otherwise my team would be full of them :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

One of my favourite types is bug, so thought it’d be fun to do that one, since noone else has yet.

10 Likes

7 Likes

6 Likes

4 Likes

I’ve given teams for my favorite types before with Bug and Psychic but I tried to focus on a “water” based team with my favorite in mind. The first 3 after Gyarados are basically Gyarados copycats with the final 2 being more or less thematic to the whole “Sea Serpent” vibe I was going for:

8 Likes

Fairly successful team I made in the days of the XY monotype ladder. Sadly, I don’t have the team stored and I don’t remember every detail. The first 5 Pokemon I’m positive of, in fact the first 4 is as close to a signature core as I get, and one I have built many teams around. Landorus wasn’t banned in monotype. Gyarados because it balances well with the otherwise screaming Ice type weakness, and I can take advantage of the Mega slot. But in this last slot I’m sure I experimented with a number of Pokemon; Xatu, Aerodactyl, Gliscor and even Yanmega.

Zapdos - 252 HP/252 Sp Atk, either T-Bolt/Hp Ice/(Heat Wave/Defog)/Roost or Volt Switch/HP Ice/Defog/Roost with max special defense, though I don’t think I used the latter too much here.

Skarmory - Standard, Brave Bird/Stealth Rock/Defog/Roost, I don’t think I used a phazing move in this format. Might have gone back and forth on that, it really is a major weakness but the whole team was built more so for speed than to drag things on. Essential defog.

Dragonite - Always Choice Band and max HP. Never Life Orb, expert belt or dragon dance. Earthquake/Fire Punch/Outrage/Extremespeed

Togekiss - Either modest Choice Scarf Air Slash/Flamethrower/Dazzling Gleam/Trick or Cleric (so Heal Bell), like Zapdos I think I went the offensive route here mostly, as dictated by the team structure, but I couldn’t tell you for sure as they also acted as the defensive glue of the team.

Landorus - Nothing to add. Bog standard Life Orb killing machine.

Gyarados - I think I went max speed Dragon Dance here. It was only here to do two things: not die to powerful Ice moves like the rest of the team and if possible, try to sweep late game after Landorus and Dragonite had banged up everything. Had to compromise.

Xatu would’ve only been there for Magic Bounce (this was before Oras so never a Mega Sableye on the other side), Yanmega with sash to save me from +1 sweepers, Gliscor would do Gliscor things and Aerodactyl for more speed.

9 Likes

Steel type all the way, man I could make a few one-type teams. I might lost more later, but here’s the homies for steel:

I’m not gonna go into the meta and the competitiveness of this team or anything, this would just be my favorites. I love them

6 Likes

Nice to see so much diversity here, my wife’s team was also steel but still she only had max 3/6 of the same pokemon than the teams posted here. Also nice to see @azulryu on this side of the internet again even though you cheated a bit with the rules :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

My first inclination is to go Steel or Water. But since those look to be super popular, I’ll go with one of my other favorite types of all time, Dragon! A dragon team would definitely be formidable, and would require serious self-discipline to handle all of these powerful mons. However, the payoff would be amazing. My ace would probably be Druddigon or Appletun.

3 Likes

This was fun to observe since i definitely expected more dragon teams! Also nice to see that otherwise a bit underwhelming flying type makes some cool and powerful teams, like @c0ll3ct0r with super detailed and well thought powerful team

2 Likes

:see_no_evil::hear_no_evil::speak_no_evil:

3 Likes

Well i may not have phrased that completely right :sweat_smile: what i think i meant that at least i feel like flying itself as a core type isn’t very smexy and it may be a bit easy to forget that as a secondary type it has perhaps the most amount(?) of powerful pokemon included (which i actually hadn’t thought very much earlier). It may be just me since i haven’t played a lot of the games and and the ones i have played have been with zero competivite mentality. It has always felt that there was always (outside double weakness) a better option than flying. And when i think of it even more it may definitely be me since a lot of my type opinions come from pokemon go where flying type moves have so far been almost pure garbage.

I did this when doing that favourite of every single Pokémon type/gen thing that got posted, it made me realise that steel is my favourite type that I hadn’t really considered before.

STEEL

Dragon also has some incredible options but as it has a lot of legendary Pokémon, doesn’t fit the true gym leader theme.

DRAGON

2 Likes

Bug pokemon are my favorite! I’d love to see more late game bug trainers that actually kick you around a little bit.

EX3_EN_11

Ghosts are a close 2nd!

SM8_EN_100

4 Likes