Your favourtie/Underrated Card patterns/holo effects

Since only recently starting to look at the first generation of EX cards, I am surprised at how beautiful the glittering borders are on these.
Definitely something I would love to get a card from in the future sometime.

The usual english borders are quite plain so this was a surprise to see for me.
I do have a couple of old prime cards which also share this border, and I wish it would come back sometime in the future for special holographic rares.

Another effect I really liked was the shining pokemon. I was first introduced to this in a modern set with arceus and Ho-oh

and I just love how you have a textured gold effect over a specific pokemon.
It makes me want to see something like this in future, maybe on a smaller scale, like glowing eyes on a gengar, or gold accents along a pokemon’s attack.

Do you have any card holo pattens, borders, effects, or just anything you want to share like this? What’s your favourite, or one that you would like to come back? Maybe something hypothetical that you’d like to see in the future?

4 Likes

This Deoxys movie promo is super unique, it is the only lenticular Pokémon card I believe:
Video: v.redd.it/6908o03bjfm31/DASH_720

It even changes the text based on viewing angle :grin:

9 Likes

Oh wow i have never seen that before! amazing!

Do you count oversized cards?

I think Japanese crystal types have a beautiful holo, its just… so much… confetti…
Your browser does not support video embedding. Please update your browser.

3 Likes

holo hgss borders were peak tpci

7 Likes

The japanese crystal bling is undeniably sexy, I’d love to own an unlimited set of them.

The ex deoxys reverse pattern is my all time favorite. So unique! I’d add a pic but I’m not at my pc. Someone add one please!

3 Likes

I just love this water ripple holo effect. Completely unique and very fitting for the card. :grin:

8 Likes

I really like the whole card rainbow sparkle pattern. It’s better on some cards than others

9 Likes

I got you. I’ll never get tired of ex Deoxys Sableye.

What I also love is the glossy heart pattern in Pokekyun. Pics don’t really do it justice. Still glad it’s a one-off thing tho, makes it all the more special.

9 Likes

I second this sentiment.

3 Likes

so many patterns i have never seen before :open_mouth:

I was gonna say this same card. I recently bought it, and the holo effect (which is unique to this single Japanese card) is beautiful. Here a picture of mine (although it’s very easy to see the holo pattern from multiple angles irl, it’s a bit hard to capture on a photo unfortunately):

Another card I recently bought for its holofoil is the Korean Shiny Collection Elesa, which has holofoil circles. I’m not sure if any other of the Korean Shiny Collection cards have this holo pattern, but the Elesa in the Japanese set and other languages have stars instead of circles, so it’s defintely unique to just this Korean set.

One more I’ve posted before in my collection thread: the eyes of both Lillie and Clefairy in the Japanese 381/SM-P promo change color based on the light and angle:

As for a more common to find holofoil (on multiple cards I mean), which are some of my favorite cards in general, are the Japanese L-P Holofoil promos. Although these are just Cosmos Holofoil, the colors used in the artworks of the L-P cards makes them some of the most stunning Pokémon TCG cards out there imo. I especially like the Legend Box and Lost Remover. My picture-taking quality doesn’t do them justice at all, though… :confused:

Greetz,
Quuador

6 Likes

Torchic from Shiny Collection also has this circle holofoil pattern :blush: I’m assuming there’s probably more

3 Likes

Cool, thanks for the info! TIL. :blush:

And I guess on-topic for this thread, your recent English Torchic from the same set with the two different holofoil patterns comes to mind. Pretty cool to have two different holo patterns for the same card imo.

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

Big fan of the Ex Emerald Reverse

My fave is when they use the texture effectively in secret rares. Like how good the floor looks in this Power Plant

5 Likes

Gold Stadiums are some of the coolest looking cards Pokemon has done imo. The hidden fates ones are particularly good looking

1 Like

Holographic ornamentation is a good idea when properly executed, looks great:

1 Like

Love these two

2 Likes

Making the bodies of the Delta Species Pokemon holo, instead of their backgrounds, was genius. It brilliantly communicates the idea of the Pokemon being affected by the radiation from the Holon Research Tower. When I first discovered this set a year ago I was impressed with how clever this was!

2 Likes