You wished to challenge me. Very well, but I shall not lose.

Dear All,

So this collection has expanded and grown with new cards coming out. All very exciting.

I am looking to get some full art trainers to accompany their cameo versions, but these are not cheap cards. Certainly not in volume.

HOWEVER

As a way of justifying these purchases, I have decided to do it as a weekly reward scheme from the Bank of Pentagon to Pentagon, should Pentagon have kept to his weekly diet goals. I am lucky that for all my sins, I live a mostly healthy life style but diet has always plagued me. If I can, tracking my diet on fitnesspal etc. and I don’t have any appalling lapses, I will buy myself that weeks card…

18th October: Lillie
25th October: Cynthia
1st November: Red
8th November: Erika

Regular followers will be amazed that I don’t have a full art Erika’s Hospitality already… It’s a pricy card and one I really want in good nick, but if I can complete the month, I will be getting it!!

Others, Lillie to go with the new celebrations stuff, Cynthia just rocks and to go with her Garchomp and Red to get ready for the new vmax cameo :blush:

I very much look forward to posting the dietary weekly summary and a new shiny Lillie’s Full Force next week!!! Incidentally, chosen Monday’s as the reward day, as it’ll be nice to have a reason to look forward to Mondays :blush:

Stay safe / healthy all, thanks for reading

Pentagon

1 Like

Hey everyone,

Well Monday 18th has come and gone and I have kept to diet. However, I was unable to find a Lillie Full Force at a reasonable price. But I have picked up the below:

She’s tiny on the Garchomp art, but zoomed in, I was really impressed with the detail in her face.

And, she has a Champion friend!

Really happy with these characterful additions and have been motivated more because of it. Steven, Red and Lance to come :blush:

5 Likes

Cynthia on the Garchomp art is :ok_hand::ok_hand:

2 Likes

Hi all,

New champion addition… :blush:

*I’ve started adding a summary contents page at the top of the very first post :blush: *

4 Likes

This gives me a hankering for a complete database of all cameos by Pokemon.

1 Like

@churlocker

www.elitefourum.com/t/the-great-pokemon-hidden-in-card-art-thread/24364/1 well 16 pages to start with…

But pokemon get printed in so many, that you’d probably have to go set by set systematically for a database.

It is surprisingly addictive, when you start looking for hidden cameos!

I was like, generic common card, THEN GET REALLY EXCITED, THERES A PERSON HIDDEN THERE!!!

EDIT

Full art Zinnia added, and 'named trainer section added to contents

2 Likes

@funmonkey54 (@ funmonkey54) FIFY

Also, we do have a list of all English Pokémon cameos. I’d love to see a similar list for Japanese cards eventually, since this thread have been most useful thus far. :blush:

And if @pentagon 's collection continues to increase in size, we’ll also have an abundant list of people cameos in Pokémon TCG cards. :blush:
Great last few collection updates. Keep up the great work.

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

Nice simple addition today, (and the unnamed category added to the contents!)

As per dieting goals - Red’s Challenge ordered… can’t wait for that vmax pika to come out!!!

Also sneak peak…

WHO’S THAT HUMAN!??

2 Likes

Aether foundation employee

1 Like

www.pokebeach.com/2021/10/several-more-character-rares-revealed-from-vmax-climax

OMG OMG OMG

Hot take absolutely love the Janine/Ariados, but they’re all amazing.

3 Likes

That’s my favorite as well, but as you said, all of them are amazing. Can’t wait until they’re released in English so I can add them to my FA Supporter collection. :grin:

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

@quuador, let’s hope no-one tells @qwachansey that the Pokemon centre full art got Blissey not Chansey. Maybe he won’t notice…

Interestingly, there isn’t a May full art (yet!) so I’m hoping that we get her with Vmax as a new trainer. Nice to see these guys
getting an awesome card:

Janine has just made it onto the top of next months trainer buy list order!! Though, I’m wondering if it’s worth waiting to see if there’s a reprint of her with different art.

2 Likes

Oh I noticed all right… I don’t want to talk about it

8 Likes

I’m not even that active anymore but every time I see a new FA that’s blissey I automatically think how you got shafted again :neutral_face:

One day my friend…

3 Likes

I loved seeing trainers interacting with their Pokémon in some of the cards from the Gym sets back in the day. I’m so glad they are really bringing it back strong with the full arts!

Yeah, my favourite two historical sets for absolute sure.

Though strangely, most of the interactions were saved for trainer cards, Erika’s Kindness, Secret Mission come to mind.

Oddly, the only Pokemon card that had a trainer was Misty swimming with her tentacool.

But I do feel super guilty that my collection goal is spoiled relentlessly whilst other’s wait 12 years for a release.

1 Like

Agreed! As a kid I always had a negative bias towards trainer cards. I wanna collect Pokémon, not people or items! But that changed with the Gym sets, those trainers and they’re Pokémon just hit. That’s why I bump the idea that those sets are just bland Sugimori stock arts. People often overlook the trainer cards.

Well, Monday has been and gone and if you will suffer me posting something that is not a pokemon!

As per my post on the 10th October, I said that I was going to justify my buying of cards inline with my dietary aims.

Near enough 2100 calories every day for the last 3 weeks and I am still a delight in real life and not some kind of inhospitable grumpy menace.

Rather proud of the work so far, and sure enough, a Red’s Challenge a Cynthia and an Erika’s Hospitality have been purchased. I had to move away from my original plans with Lillie as the price of a Full Art Full Force was lots and I kinda want to pay MORE and get the Battle Day one… But anyway, I’m super happy with the price I got the Hospitality for.

Pictures when they arrive and I get everything together for them. But I am happy to announce next months buy list!

8th November: Janine (OMG OMG that Ariados FA)
15th November: Steven Stone (will be the last of the champions collection)
22nd November: Team Rocket Handiwork
29th November: Jessie & James (these guys need no introduction.)

Also, whilst it’s not my favourite art, in the end, I decided that consistency would annoy me more than not. So my gratitude to everyone’s input on favourite rocket art, but in the end, I decided I preferred the look that the full arts brought, especially with the new FA pokemon cards.

Anyway…

What’s that, you want Trainer Cameo’s NOW, fine well as you insist…

As correctly identified by @kingboo64 this here, is the Aether Foundation Employee. This one excited me as for some of the random’s it’s hard to identify who they actually are, hence my excitement (not being familiar with the story) that the employee had a full art!

There is actually another Registeel to go with these two, but mine hasn’t arrived yet.

Also whilst I’m here… speaking of hard to identify (full credit to @liquidpoison for the spot)

3 Likes

As anyone who has read any of my posts will know, Erika is my all time favourite and the below cards, specifically the sleeping alternate art are the cards that inspired this entire collection. Now that I have the hospitality, I am only one card off having every Erika card! (short Erika’s clefable, see other collection!) I have posted most of these in this thread and in that thread, but now I have the hospitality I will do them again :blush:

Of note, Erika has worn a lot of different colour Kimono’s/headband combinations. The one that they have used in all 4 of these modern depictions is the colours that she wore in ‘let’s go pikachu/let’s go eevee’.

In FireRed/LeafGreen she wore a similar combination, red and greeny yellow with red headband. Then she had a patterned green with leaf prints on the kimono / red hairband - in let’s go pikachu they moved away from the pattern, giving her a plain green.

The sleeping art is a really nice touch as she is often asleep when confronted in the games, so having her cuddled up with her Vileplume is perfect. Though, I do also really like the ‘standard’ awake Vileplume GX with her sending vileplume into battle- zoomed in, I think they’ve done a really good job - even if it does look like she’s floating…

3 Likes

Hi All,

Big post today, I have FINALLY completed my Double Crisis Set, so ALL pokemon cards featuring people + accompanying token trainer card. My one regret is that there is no full arts of these trainers, but maybe one day. Also, this set was featured in Celebrations, so for the princely sum of .3 English pounds each, I was able to pick up the new Kyogre and Groudon which I think is an awesome reference to the originals.

First up, Matt and Shelly. Matt I think is the most hard done by trainer that I have come by since I started doing the close up photos of the trainers face, as he is the only one so far who has managed to get text straight through his face!

Now, I’ll say this for all of them, but what I really love about this set is that because they have used the same two grunts in all of the arts, it really feels like the cards show a story of all the battles between these two grunts vs the other two grunts. With ups and downs, highs and lows.

Regarding these two grunts, they are the two that were used for concept art / sprites from Alpha Sapphire /Omega Ruby - the originals didn’t have the goatee and the lady had red not brown hair. Of note, the Trainer card’s team Aqua Conspirator and Schemer reference the two from the original games (red head and goateeless man.) Only Team Aqua Grunt - from double crisis itself references these two particular umm grunts.

Okay, so here we go!

Then for the people close ups! I have tried to do individual shots for each character, the only exception being the first picture. This one excited me, because I didn’t realise that the female grunt was in the art, until you see her eye on the left! But without context this looked weird when photographed individually.

Now this chap, I feel particularly sorry for - as I feel he was the one that the artists were laziest with, he has a lot of ‘less good’ depictions.

Right, the female-

BUT PENTAGON, you are undoubtedly saying right now. There is a 3rd Team Aqua Grunt (2nd male grunt) in the art of Team Magma’s Aggron… Well, yes you would be right. It’s tricky to tell completely, but the one on the right clearly is clean shaven and looks to be our good friend from the original games, and as he’s on the art for Team Aqua Schemer, I feel comfortable calling him the Schemer, who seems to have turned up to back up our usual team for the fight against the Aggron. Therefore from context, I assume that the one to his left is goatee (our regular grunt) but it’s hard to tell as you can’t see his goatee in that pose.

Right, onto Team Magma-

Firstly Courtney and Tabitha.

Then for the grunts

Now, these two are definitely the two characters from Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire - as you would expect. However, there is much less difference between them and the two from the original game. They are definitely different characters based on the shape of the faces - but the female has purple hair in both. Also note, that the uniform for the female in original games had the female in a skirt, whilst she has shorts in Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire onwards. Finally, these original characters match the art for the Magma Conspirator / Schemer as in keeping with trends we saw with their Aqua opposite numbers.

Now, you’ll note that in the sharpedo, you see only the back. I am reasonably sure that is the back of the female as the male is accounted for in the art.

BUT in the Aron’s art, memorable for the fact that it is literally a bunch of Arons eating Aqua’s Submarine…

You have the following…

Who are they, you ask! The one on the left is of a build completely inconsistent with any of the Magma known people so far except for Tabitha. However, we can rule him out - as Tabitha wears the admin uniform with the mountain patterned coat. Whilst our man here is wearing clear grunt uniform. The one on the right is of a slim build and has a fringe which is consistent with the other arts for the male modern grunt. I did wonder if that was supposed to be the female with him, just drawn particularly fat… but I think that can be ruled out by the shape of the shorts. The female wears slanted shorts, which are shorter than her male colleague. The fat grunt, whilst wearing shorter shorts than the grunt next to him, has straight edged shorts making me believe it is supposed to be a male but a new character possibly the larger grunt from the anime as below.

I have not watched the episode in question… maybe I need to in order to check how long his shorts are!

Now, I didn’t put them in their respective teams because it felt wrong to split them up… Belong together!

I have to say, for 4 unnamed grunts, this mini set showed off some amazing adventures.

ANYWAY, apologies for the long post, I’ll leave you with the total of what they all look like together!

AND that’s the Double Crisis Part Finished.

7 Likes