Yet another eBay fee added for Europeans

From 8 April 2024, a new “regulatory operating fee” will apply to all sales on the following sites:

:uk: UK, :austria: Austria, :belgium: Belgium, :fr: France, :it: Italy, Ireland, :netherlands: Netherlands , :poland: Poland, :es: Spain, and :switzerland: Switzerland.

This fee is a fixed percentage rate (0.35%) of the total amount of the sale (which includes the item price, postage, taxes and any other applicable fees), and is subject to Value Added Tax (VAT), where applicable.

This part is my favourite:

17 Likes

This is t h e f t. :eye: :lips: :eye:stares in greedy Dutchie

1 Like

European Pokemon collectors get the shortest end of the stick. I am consistently shocked at how expensive it is to collect as a European. :confused:

6 Likes

Totally. It really feels unfair. No “big” events here, no Pokecenter, and now the cardboard is getting even more expensive :") /rantover

1 Like

I understand that this is not directly Pokemon related but all of these things just add on to make it financially so hard participating in this hobby. It is harsh.

Cheers!

5 Likes

How far can they squeeze it until a competitor can genuinely challenge them?
I was shocked when using Mercari in Japan to sell something and discovering the fee was just a flat 10%

1 Like

This was brought up earlier today on discord. The only thing that matters when it comes to making a successful marketplace is bottom line amount of money a seller takes home. It doesn’t matter if you have fancy bells and whistles or if you have 0% fees or NFT integration or whatever it is. The only meaningful factor is the pool of buyers the platform gives you access to, which directly translates into how competitive of a price you can sell at. For better or for worse, Ebay has an unparalleled large and diverse set of buyers. There is not currently a viable competitor to the network effect that ebay has.

eBay is cutting 9% of its workforce and recently paid a $59 million lawsuit. I’m sure this is about squeezing every cent out of every transaction to make shareholders happy.

Keep voting for the same people and keep getting the same results.

Last time I used ebay was terrible. The dutch site just has way less options (every listing I had to put the shipping costs again and only 2 international shipping options), I was just not nice to sell on there. Cardmarket has been better for me for buying and for selling. Shows have been better, Facebook has been better. There is no reason for me to use ebay, and I guess there wont be one in the future

1 Like

Very glad to live in Germany since not only do we not get the new fee, but also since last year ebay has made private sales within Germany completely free to compete with their own former subsidiary Kleinanzeigen.

3 Likes