XY-era Full Art Potential

Now that the XY era has ended and nearly half of the era is out of print/soon to be, what are your opinions on how the cards will be valued in the future, specifically the full art ones? Are the massive print runs combined with relatively high pull rates going to keep their prices down? Do you think any of the cards in particular have more potential than others? Do you think there will be a similar trend such as the BW-era full arts have taken? I haven’t seen any discussions for this particular topic and I figured this would be a good place to get some seasoned collector opinions/predictions.

Full art N will be a card that will be valuable. People will pay homage to it’s playability coupled with the BW story arcs. Get a PSA 10 sooner than later.

Full Art N wasn’t in XY (the topic of this thread) but I really agree. N has been an iconic card in the TCG for the past 5 or so years (on and off). N was a huge part of the B/W games. N FA was the first Full Art Trainer. Finally, N Full Art was done by Ken Sugimori, one of the only Full Arts of its kind. This card is huge in my opinion. Not huge like your 1st Ed WotC holo, but huge in the context of its era.

Moving into XY, we saw the first FA for many notable Pokemon. Venusaur, Blastoise, Charizard, Silver Dialga, and many more. As for value, I think PSA 10 examples of them can be significant but there will always be NM copies available. These cards were preserved a lot compared to the original sets. The PSA 10 was a very difficult to achieve on the earlier sets in the era due to horrible print quality, which makes them quite hard to come by and, therefore, worthy of a higher valuation.

Honestly with exceptions to a few Secret rares and iconic pokemon, I think almost everything after flash fire will struggle for years (English and Japanese), so many cards are already high POP and easily gradable

Whoops. I’m getting all my series mixed up ;__;
tbh XY was lack luster haha

PSA 10 prices of EX cards have dropped quite dramatically over time, it happened with the outset of Evolutions. Prices dropped across the board, one example is M Gyarados EX $180AUD now you can buy one for $70AUD. EX cards especially full arts used to command high prices usually in the mid hundreds now most of them are under a $100 with a few exceptions

1 Like

Charizard of course you cant go wrong
In terms of art, the ones that personally stick out to me are xerneas and lysandre full arts.

I’d be buying BW full arts and secret rares before I touched anything from XY.

1 Like

I wouldn’t agree with that. Obviously BW FAs will increase in price earlier than XY ones but XY has some heavy hitters like the original starter FAs, Flashfire, and then the ORAS sets are fantastic. I think over the very long term (15+ years) there won’t be much of a difference. With the absolute garbage that is newer GX FAs I think people will appreciate the BW/XY FA era more and more as time goes on.

1 Like

This is true too, but a few of these have previous FA cards. Groudon, Kyogre, and Latios for example are all outclassed by the BW ones. Lugia, on the other hand, has the Ancient Origins card which easily outclasses the original Plasma one (because… come on it’s Plasma, just a fun and completely busted gimmick for the card game). As a whole though I would say BREAKThrough and on is really weak compared to what comes before.

1 Like

Some very good points, I definitely agree with the selection of full arts/secret rares printed after BKT were pretty lackluster. The print quality seems like it increased substantially after that as well, as the pop reports for everything before that, save for popular ones like Charizard EX, are mostly in the single digits for PSA 10 grades. I really appreciate the insight, thanks everyone!

Even psa 10 ex series ex’s have gone down in price.

That’s not to say that they can’t or rather won’t bounce back. I think its very much possible. Although i personally don’t see their potential as of right now, but 10 years from now when the younger generation grow up, i’m relatively certain that they’ll be chasing full arts too just like how individuals now are going for their childhood cards.