WOTC vs. Ex Series sealed product stability

How would you compare the value stability of ex series sealed product vs. WOTC sealed product?

I know any answer to this would be fundamentally speculative, but I’ve still been curious about peoples’ opinion on this.

Do you think that ex series sealed product prices are subject to a significantly higher chance of volatility than WOTC product, do you think both are relatively stable/reliable, or do you think it is set dependent?

Edit: I also wanted to mention that I am not looking for investment advice. I’m a broke college student that collects here and there. Just thought it would be an interesting topic of conversation.

They’re both rock solid.

Ex series stuff is extremely scarce. You can find a box of almost every WotC set for sale on ebay but ex series and e-series are much harder to find. WotC is less scarce but you have that beautiful, irrational nostalgia factor, the added bonus is that people destroy WotC product every day to get a taste of that nostalgia.

The latest Facebook/Instagram fad with WotC product is for people to open a box and sell the packs out of that box for 50-100% more than what random loose packs of that set would sell for normally as “unweighed” packs because they apparently haven’t been scaled.

They’re not volatile in any sense of the word unless someone decides to sell a Nevada storage unit’s worth of unlimited Jungle boxes.

3 Likes

I’ve been collecting Booster Packs for awhile now - one of each Art-Work (1st Ed. and Unlimited - and Most Variants) from Base through Present. I created an Excel Spreadsheet with everything listed and pricing - just to give me an idea on what my collection is worth. I’ll update this spreadsheet every 6ish to 8ish Months. It was interesting this past update; I found that WotC-Era Product has more-or-less stabilized (very slight, if any, growth throughout) whereas EX-Era Product has really taken-off (percentage-wise)!

I really wish I had created multiple columns where I’d record the date / pricing and then when I do update these prices, it’s in the next column - to give me a comparison. Unfortunately, I just record-over the old price-point so don’t have any actual data for anyone to use… I may have to start doing that from now on!