WOTC Galaxy Foil for MTG Unfinity

Hey yalls! This is sort of late to the party, but I haven’t seen any mention of it. The MTG set Unfinity released last week. Included in the set are holo variants created with the original WOTC Pokemon Galaxy pattern that so many know and love! These cards hit the nostalgia right in the crotch for me. I just bought a ton of the galaxy foil full art lands for EDH. Just thought this might be cool for any of the Magic players here who may have missed the news.
https://www.pokebeach.com/2022/09/magic-the-gathering-to-release-cards-with-pokemons-holofoil

Here’s an example of how they look. Friggin incredible!!

2 Likes

I know nothing about MTG, what kind of price range are you talking about for getting all 5 of these?

1 Like

Well, most MTG lands are pretty much worthless except for the original ones (i.e. Alpha/Beta). Old school foil lands can also carry a decent price as they look really good in a deck & will likely never be re-printed either.

These lands are pretty unique among all MTG lands I have seen in the past, so they should hold some good value at the very least. I’m also not sure how hard they will be to pull or if it’s the only foil variant in the box. If it’s a tough pull, they should sell for up to $20-$30 would be my guess, and especially if they become a limited print item (which is hard to tell because WOTC can re-print anything these days).

1 Like

I picked them up on ebay for around $3-$5 per land. You can prob get them cheap on tcgplayer, channelfireball, or cardkingdom in bulk. Additionally, there are alternate arts for each of the 5 basic land types with the galaxy foil that are considerably more per land, like $10-$15 each.
Here’s an example of an alt art. They are stunning.

3 Likes

Very cool for sure. If they don’t become a common foil in the future, they should hold some good collector value. My guess though, WOTC is beginning to look at improving foiling across the board as people have been complaining about modern foils for a while now. It wouldn’t surprise me if galaxy foils and other improved variants start to become the norm, as people obviously like them a lot more than 99% of the modern foils they’ve done.

1 Like

@kromaticlanturn @jabby awesome guys thanks for the info, I might snag some if I see a good deal. The art on these looks great.

2 Likes

100% agree. I find that mtg foiling typically obscures the otherwise beautiful artwork on the card, not to mention curling and that whole other can of worms. I typically avoid modern foils at all costs and opt for non-foils exclusively when possible. If they started regularly using galaxy foiling, I would foil out pretty much all of my decks going forward haha.

1 Like

Exactly. It rarely improves the look of the card on most lands or cards in general as it can be very washed out. The only one that comes to mind that I can say I enjoyed in foil and non-foil were the recent Kamigawa ones:

These to me actually looked really nice in both variants. The curling issue can be annoying for sure, doube sleeving helps a bit at least. Regardless, I hope they improve the foiling more soon as I’d be more interested in opening boxes again and collecting more modern cards if they did. I think Pokemon has done a way better job with foils and variants, and MTG could definitely improve.

3 Likes

I thought everyone called it cosmos foil

1 Like

They do, but the term Galaxy Foil for these cards is directly from the marketing info from Wizards. Guessing they’re purposely not calling it cosmos foil because of Pokémon.

2 Likes

Even cooler than the basics are the galaxy foil shocklands:

Not sure why it took WotC so long to experiment with different holo patterns. MTG has been stuck in the e-Series reverse holo pattern dark age for 25 years.

The Breeding Pool is my personal favorite:

(Image from Google Images – not my card).

4 Likes

Love these shock lands, but I wish that they weren’t $90-$190 on the open market. That’s pretty steep for a shock land by today’s standards. As others have said, the unique foil pattern is creating massive demand around these specific lands. Knowing WoTC, they will see the demand and print this type of foiling pattern in the future. They never let a home run sit alone in one set for too long.

2 Likes

The tokyo lands from Secret Lair are absolutely beautiful. I know there’s a lot of buzz about SL saturation but tbh there are several of them which are stellar collaborations and just a genuine great piece of art to look at.

3 Likes