WotC 1st ed. sets Base to Legendary Collection full PSA-10

Someone just asked this question on reddit, and now I’m actually curious what some of you experts think. What would the full PSA-10 sets of 1st ed. Base; 1st ed. Jungle; 1st ed. Fossil; 1st ed. Team Rocket; 1st ed. Gym Heroes; 1st ed. Gym Challenge; Base Set 2; 1st ed. Neo Genesis; 1st ed. Neo Discovery; 1st ed. Neo Revelations; 1st ed. Neo Discovery; Legendary Collection; Expedition Base Set; Aquapolis; and Skyridge combined would go for in today’s market?

I know this is all speculation, because I doubt we’ll see all of them for sale in full PSA-10, but whatever.

The last two Base Sets in 1st edition PSA-10 were sold for 100k USD if I recall correctly. Here is one of those sold listings. But how about everything else?

Someone on reddit gave the following estimations:

• 1st ed. Base through Base Set 2: 170k
  • 1st ed. Neo Genesis through Legendary Collection: 60k
  • Expedition Base Set through Skyridge: 50k

Personally I have the feeling these estimations are a bit on the low side, but perhaps I’m mistaken?

I personally estimate it would be close, if not over, halve a million USD. But this is merely a guess based on what the Base Set 100k sold for, not to mention the amount of sets and it being full PSA-10.

Also note that estimations of what it’s worth would be different than what it would actually sell for if something like this would be available for sale in the foreseeable future. Not everyone has 300k+ USD of disposable income of course. :wink:

Greetz,
Quuador

I would estimate that it would comfortably be under $300k, 100k for Base and 10k average each for the rest of the sets. Some will go under average and some might go over so add on a pretty healthy 60k cushion on top of 240k base.

I reckon with 500k you could go on eBay right now and smash buy it now on all the cards from all the sets and have tons of spare cash for an assassin and his private jet to persuade an owner of the Typhlosion 17/111 and a few of the other pain in the ass cards.

2 Likes

Full market price dictates at least the summed values of the constituent parts, but in order to get that in one shot quite a few variables need to fall into place. For a PWCC styled auction, the sale is determined when One of TWO bidders exceed the maximum bid of the other. So the cumulative capital required to establish the final price is two-fold - well over $500k in on demand capital divided among two Poke-fans. Is that doable? Absolutely. Is it likely? I think you would be surprised at the amount of wealth there is in the pokemon community.

Other factors include the timing and parameters of the auction.

To the answer the question again of what they could sell for, I’d say the sum of the parts would be the target. But the future isn’t written yet so we won’t know till it happens.

2 Likes

The term “worth” contains a lot of nuance. One major component, liquidity. Is it likely someone can sell everything WOTC PSA 10 for 300-500k over night, no. Over time, more likely.

Shaun did a solid job explaining everything! The only other aspect I would throw in is cost of capital. At half a million you can buy much rarer cards in pokemon and other hobbies. Therefore it all boils down to the buyers interest.

3 Likes