Why Do We Collect?

Hey, nerdy people (yes, I am referring to myself in this generalisation)!

I thought you might all find this video quite interesting as it covers the topic of collecting and why people do it.

You guys might follow the channel already but if you don’t then I’d recommend it. They put some pretty cool stuff together!

Anyway, check out this video and see what you think!

12 Likes

Great video, the ending with various collections and their owners was nice.

At the very end with all those people’s collections, are that Pokémoncards with Ben :stuck_out_tongue:?

HAHA at 3:50, went from 0 to 100 REAL QUICK

2 Likes

awesome!!

At first i was like… dam… 14 mins… i ain’t watching…tldr… then i seen ‘v sauce, kevin here!’ and was like… omg! i have to watch it now because it will be good!

I think we are pretty lucky with ebay and the internet these days.

Great post @tom scott

2 Likes

oh… and it’s hilarious that sigmund frued reference… ‘holding onto ones poop… then becomes holding onto ones objects’

Straight away when i heard his name i knew it would be some farout theory… >.<

7 Likes

Cool vid! Makes me want to go to a museum where the exhibits are all peoples different collections

1 Like

Maybe an EFOUR museum? Actually we have a picture one but nothing like seeing things with our own eyes or touching them, like the juice mentioned in the video.

Nice share TS.

1 Like

To me the niche within the collecting niche is most interesting, I know a person who only collects postcards which is a collecting niche itself but their niche within the collecting niche is:
-Must be a photograph of a horse, i.e. not cartoon or drawn
-The horse’s name has to be on the card as well
Imagine what this person’s collection would look like and imagine all the other crazy niches! I would be down to see these sorts of collections in a museum.

1 Like

Imagine! A museum just filled wall-to-wall with perfectly preserved Pokemon cards from around the world! Exclusives, misprints, uncut sheets!

2 Likes

:eek: man that would be amazing. Behind a 100% UV protected piece of plexi.

Of course, even more so that no one can get their grubby hands anywhere near them! I mean there’s people on this forum with cards worth 10k upwards! I think armed security would be adequate, haha!

1 Like

This is why we should grade our dam valueble cards, because lol 2.1 million for probably a psa 3. Imagine 102 No rarity psa10 complete collection in the future. Pokesynd will pass these on to his future peeps.

1st ed shadowless Base set yellow cheeks psa 10 in 100 years for 2.1 millions :sunglasses:
As if anyones going to forgett about these cards… Aslong as the ionternet runs, the information will never be berried, and as long as forums like this keep the peeps talking and connecting everyone, pokemon shall rein supremingtons. Theres People out there, that just collect stuff thats rare. Like me xD.
I just wonder how long Pokemon cards will continue to be printed.

I like how he says " It’s not about the money, it’s about the collection " Very wizement words good sirs, like old school ex fo instance. Cheap, but insanly rare to find in decent condition… Theres no way they have reaCHED anywhere near there potentialness yet.

I have to say freud is crazier than me, and did a bit to many cocahina.

This video has taught me alot about myself, sometimes I just need a little push to think in other ways i havnt before. I will say I am a very competative person, and that my collection will probably be my legacy lol. So The Mana of competativeness shall remain in my collection forever muhahahahahaha :ninja:

I’m glad you guys like video!

When watching it I couldn’t help but think ‘‘hmmmm…I know a group of people who can relate to this’’.

Collecting for me is about creating an ever changing time capsule. For every card I have, I also have a dozen memories to go with it. For every card I add to it, I also add a few more memories. And fortunately I’ve lived a very privileged lifestyle, meaning almost all of those memories are awesome.

Financial gain / loss always crosses my mind from time to time, sure. But it has never and will never drive my collection.

2 Likes

Rarity/ competativeness will always drive my collection, I can relate to everything you have said xD

Thanks for sharing dis epic video sir.

1 Like

This idea has actually been kicked around by a couple collectors. The one individual who suggested the idea could actually do this if they desired. Perhaps when they retire. One can only hope!

3 Likes

Is this the person with ‘the vault’?

No, that individual would be Glenn (japanime). The “vault” is a reference to his old inventory from when he owned a card shop in the late 90’s early 2000’s. He owned one of the if not the most well known japan based store for pokemon cards.

The other individual is a private collector who also has a long history in trading cards, not just pokemon. When he retires, I will annoy him about opening a pokemon tcg museum. It would be comprable to the OP video except all pokemon cards. Having that with a digital catalog would be unreal. I will stop dreaming now. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

I was just about to ask just how literal the vault was, haha! I was picturing something out of Fallout

1 Like

are you referring to David persian?

2 Likes