Why are Pokémon cards so expensive?

Why are cards so expensive? I know vintage is expensive because of scarcity but even modern cards get range in the hundreds.

Pre Covid it was definitely different

1 Like

Because people are willing to pay expensive prices

13 Likes

The same reason anything is expensive, supply and demand

5 Likes

They suffer from conditional rarity

2 Likes

I’m buying everything up, sorry

5 Likes

Same reason you are looking for them but x10.000.000 people

4 Likes

b/c they are Pokemon cards

1 Like

Why are these cards so popular/desired?

Wanting to buy them at an opportune moment, to be able to make money on them in a few years?

:thinking:

Why don’t you do me a favour? Write your name down on this raw no rarity Charizard.

“I don’t have a raw no rarity Charizard to write on.”

Drops the raw card for him to write on.

Exactly. Supply and demand, my friend.

8 Likes

The same reasons people pay millions for this tiny piece of paper - called stamp.

1 Like

Millions?

$10,851,000 in 2014

6 Likes

The last recorded sale was in 1996 – 2 million swiss francs. No more other copies’ sales since then till today. Now I can’t imagine its value.

Pokemon cards are considered “cheap” when compared to rare stamps.

2 Likes

How do we get the Pokemon on the bottom of your posts? I typed names, but nothing happened :sweat_smile:

1 Like
3 Likes

Much love! :blush:

1 Like

every single time a see a card I want i think “I want that card, how much is it?” then I look at the price and think “how much would I pay for this card? would I pay $xxx?” sometimes it’s “for this card, yes, I would pay $xxx” for other cards it might be “no, I wouldnt” or “no, but I would pay $xxx”

depends on what i value and what card is worth more or less to me. basically just times that by millions of people with different income and different interests

I think its because of knowledge,
the more we know, the more we understand,
and the more appreciation we have towards simple but elegant items.

Anything that can be treated as an artwork has its intrinsic value + basic value, and in this case it’s the intrinsic value that dominates, making the card expensive.

Why is art so expensive?
Why are stamps so expensive?
Why are baseball cards so expensive?
Why are video games so expensive?
Why are antiques so expensive?

The same question can be asked about any collectible.

And Pokemon cards were definitely “expensive” before COVID, including modern. Remember: the Hidden Fates Charizard sold for $10k in 2019.

2 Likes

10k?